The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by lizzy999
I've heard of this, but then it is only at the "moment", after you graduate you typically do two years of foundation training ( junior doctor years) and then two years of CMT then your specialization which takes up four to five years. SO, how long are they going to let me train there :biggrin:

doesnt our visa expire at the end of F2 year?

I think we need to get a job in order to get Tier 2 because Tier 4 expires within a month (afaik) after F2 year is done.
Reply 781
yea, I have seen that story and some others, thats why I was getting concerned about these facts. I would like to practice in Canada as well and knowing I might only have 18% chance of getting back is... disappointing.

Its a low #, but you have to realize that includes all the Caribbean, Middle Easter, Eastern Europe, Pakistani, Indian etc..., IMGs from UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand have a much better chance of getting back into Canada compared to other IMGs, also there are more ways to come back to Canada, such as residency from US and then move back to Canada, most cases residency from US and Canada are interchangeable and all you have to do is write the board tests.
Also, do you have plans of doing an intercalated BSC or doing your FY1 year in UK? Getting a BSC would definitely help you and getting licensed in UK wouldn't be a bad idea since it would look pretty good and you have something to fall back to in the case all else goes wrong.
Reply 782

Thanks for finding this article, I found it extremely useful!

Its worth noting that: "CaRMS noted that Canadians mostly go to the Caribbean to study; Ireland comes in second as a place to get a medical degree. But there are also a growing number of schools in Poland, Australia and the Middle East. "

Surprisingly, not many Canadians opt for the option of studying Medicine in the UK. I am guessing it may be because of the low admittance rates combined with the high entry requirements? Any thoughts on this?
Reply 783
Original post by .eXe
doesnt our visa expire at the end of F2 year?

I think we need to get a job in order to get Tier 2 because Tier 4 expires within a month (afaik) after F2 year is done.

Yep, but I have also heard of concerns about getting hired in hospitals as they would have more spots for UK citizens. ( I would look into it more... )
Reply 784
Original post by AbuAK
Its a low #, but you have to realize that includes all the Caribbean, Middle Easter, Eastern Europe, Pakistani, Indian etc..., IMGs from UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand have a much better chance of getting back into Canada compared to other IMGs, also there are more ways to come back to Canada, such as residency from US and then move back to Canada, most cases residency from US and Canada are interchangeable and all you have to do is write the board tests.
Also, do you have plans of doing an intercalated BSC or doing your FY1 year in UK? Getting a BSC would definitely help you and getting licensed in UK wouldn't be a bad idea since it would look pretty good and you have something to fall back to in the case all else goes wrong.

Yes, but I have also heard that even getting licensed in the UK would not be as advantageous unless you are specialized and needed. I'm not saying it won't help at all , but numbers aren't pretty :rolleyes: For me, I just want to confirm everything before I make this big decision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 785
Original post by Samy
Thanks for finding this article, I found it extremely useful!

Its worth noting that: "CaRMS noted that Canadians mostly go to the Caribbean to study; Ireland comes in second as a place to get a medical degree. But there are also a growing number of schools in Poland, Australia and the Middle East. "

Surprisingly, not many Canadians opt for the option of studying Medicine in the UK. I am guessing it may be because of the low admittance rates combined with the high entry requirements? Any thoughts on this?

Most decide to go to the States since their degree would be a MD and is more widely accepted in Canada, which is also a MD. In the UK you would receive a MBBS and everyone knows that the percent success rate for IMG's are really low. I checked this year and it was only 18%, which isn't looking good at all. If there are this many Canadians applying to the UK and 20 Canadians were going to Liverpool from last year, how difficult is it going to be to get back to Canada in the future? :redface:
Reply 786
Most decide to go to the States since their degree would be a MD and is more widely accepted in Canada, which is also a MD. In the UK you would receive a MBBS and everyone knows that the percent success rate for IMG's are really low. I checked this year and it was only 18%, which isn't looking good at all. If there are this many Canadians applying to the UK and 20 Canadians were going to Liverpool from last year, how difficult is it going to be to get back to Canada in the future? :redface:

Well I doubt it really matters whether it's MD or MbBS because most Caribbean schools give out MD degrees, yet Caribbean medical schools have amongst the lowest match rates compared to the rest of the medical schools.

Also I have a friend who attends Liverpool and she told me, in her year there were less than 6-7 Canadians. So in total from all 5 years there is less than 25 Canadians.

Comparing that to schools in places like Ireland who admit over 1000 North American students.
Reply 787
Original post by Samy
Well I doubt it really matters whether it's MD or MbBS because most Caribbean schools give out MD degrees, yet Caribbean medical schools have amongst the lowest match rates compared to the rest of the medical schools.

Also I have a friend who attends Liverpool and she told me, in her year there were less than 6-7 Canadians. So in total from all 5 years there is less than 25 Canadians.

Comparing that to schools in places like Ireland who admit over 1000 North American students.

Yes, but we are also competing with those 1000 North American students for Carms. The point is that there are more and more Canadians going to the overseas, and IMG's are at a disadvantage as it is getting harder to come back to Canada
Reply 788
Yes, but I have also heard that even getting licensed in the UK would not be as advantageous unless you are specialized and needed. I'm not saying it won't help at all , but numbers aren't pretty :rolleyes: For me, I just want to confirm everything before I make this big decision.

Well since you have a UK degree it won't be hard to get specialized if you get a British passport (shouldn't be problem once you live there for 5 damn years). It just takes, but yes, definitely ill too will be looking at everything. US is also an option, residency in US then back to Canada. Don't really know why, -42 C with windchill today and colder tomorrow :frown:
Reply 789
Original post by AbuAK
Well since you have a UK degree it won't be hard to get specialized if you get a British passport (shouldn't be problem once you live there for 5 damn years). It just takes, but yes, definitely ill too will be looking at everything. US is also an option, residency in US then back to Canada. Don't really know why, -42 C with windchill today and colder tomorrow :frown:

ugh, snow snow snow and COLD. It was soo good the past couple of days and then a big fog today. At night, it was very windy and COLD. :mad:
Original post by .eXe
x.

x

Here is what I know thus far.

Tier 4 visa till end of foundation years. Before foundation ends, you are given the option to switch to tier 2, sans Resident Labour Market Test. This permits you to get a specialty training post in UK. once you complete your CC training and enlist on the Specialty Registrar, you will be given a National Training Number. This is basically guarantee of sorts permitting you to leave and re enter training.

The problem is, the wording on the legal procedure of converting from tier 4 to 2 currently is a bit odd. Check on BMA's immigration page.
Reply 791
Original post by hslakaal
Here is what I know thus far.

Tier 4 visa till end of foundation years. Before foundation ends, you are given the option to switch to tier 2, sans Resident Labour Market Test. This permits you to get a specialty training post in UK. once you complete your CC training and enlist on the Specialty Registrar, you will be given a National Training Number. This is basically guarantee of sorts permitting you to leave and re enter training.

The problem is, the wording on the legal procedure of converting from tier 4 to 2 currently is a bit odd. Check on BMA's immigration page.

All we can hope is by the time we graduate, this retard Cameron will be gone and the policies will have changed. That idiot has made it much harder for out of country workers/students to get settled in the UK. And it's sad because we inject tons of money into their economy through tuition fees and such, and at the end they just tell us to fk off. And it's not like medicine is a crappy profession...UK requires some policy change and clarification on this matter.
Original post by .eXe
All we can hope is by the time we graduate, this retard Cameron will be gone and the policies will have changed. That idiot has made it much harder for out of country workers/students to get settled in the UK. And it's sad because we inject tons of money into their economy through tuition fees and such, and at the end they just tell us to fk off. And it's not like medicine is a crappy profession...UK requires some policy change and clarification on this matter.

I don't envy whovever has to sort it out. There are already proposals in the works to reduce the number of medical student places in the UK. Foundation jobs are oversubscibed and, whether you agree with it or not, they shouldn't be.

If any such reduction occurs, it won't do much for competition.
Reply 793
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I don't envy whovever has to sort it out. There are already proposals in the works to reduce the number of medical student places in the UK. Foundation jobs are oversubscibed and, whether you agree with it or not, they shouldn't be.

If any such reduction occurs, it won't do much for competition.

On many levels, UK and Canada face the same issues...oversubscribed courses.

The major reason most Canadians (not myself though) leave Canada and pursue medicine elsewhere is not because requirements are insane in Canada, but because even brilliant people who deserve a place in med school are left back due to insane competition.

Now, Canada faces yet another challenge in that we have one of the worst physician/patient ratio in the developed world. Canada's answer to all this has been to randomly increase med school spaces. Just a few years back they increased 30-50 spaces overall (nationally).

Now I understand that paying for a medical student costs the government a ton of money. However, I think that a government's priority should be to train more doctors in order to cope with future health care management. So instead of having home student's pay cheaper fees (we pay comparative fees to UK home students), I believe that our fees should be increased, thereby lowering the amount that the government contributes to a medical student's education.

The money that is saved should be invested into opening up more spaces for med students and training.

Let's face it...if a person wants to be a doctor and has the drive for it, they will do anything and everything possible to achieve it...even pay exorbitant fees in overseas countries. Well, why force people to do that. Just charge them higher fees at home, which will enable you to train more people.

And the good thing is, medicine is a pretty good profession when it comes to money. Students who take out loans to compensate for the higher fees will be able to pay them off quickly because money that was initially going to be spent on just medical school, will now be a part of their salaries and specialty training.

If other governments follow suit, I think there can be a very good system in place which takes in a good amount of medical students, while giving them some assurance that following their MD, they won't be sitting at home in their mom's basements applying to a billion positions and praying that they get lucky.
Reply 794
Any idea when my friend might hear about Bristol? She had her grades requested and had a 90%+ high school avg as well as a BA in History + volunteer experience etc.
Reply 795
Original post by medicool
Any idea when my friend might hear about Bristol? She had her grades requested and had a 90%+ high school avg as well as a BA in History + volunteer experience etc.

a lot of times, once schools request grades and transcripts, they are ready to send out an interview offer. i had that happen with two schools, which both requested grades and sent me an interview within a couple days of receiving them.
Reply 796
Original post by .eXe

Now I understand that paying for a medical student costs the government a ton of money. However, I think that a government's priority should be to train more doctors in order to cope with future health care management. So instead of having home student's pay cheaper fees (we pay comparative fees to UK home students), I believe that our fees should be increased, thereby lowering the amount that the government contributes to a medical student's education.

The money that is saved should be invested into opening up more spaces for med students and training.

Let's face it...if a person wants to be a doctor and has the drive for it, they will do anything and everything possible to achieve it...even pay exorbitant fees in overseas countries. Well, why force people to do that. Just charge them higher fees at home, which will enable you to train more people.

And the good thing is, medicine is a pretty good profession when it comes to money. Students who take out loans to compensate for the higher fees will be able to pay them off quickly because money that was initially going to be spent on just medical school, will now be a part of their salaries and specialty training.

Don't really agree with this. Really think Tuition fees should be more means-tested. If you are from a weathly background and family can afford it then you should pay more, if you are from a poorer background and family cannot afford it then you should pay less.

Raising the tuition fees even more would only push those who are from poorer backgrounds out of Medicine. If money has to be cut, just cut Government funding from degrees which are of low standards and no contribution to society (David Beckham studies?) and put that money into areas that we are lacking.

The Government here can lie all it wants about shortage of money for University and then spend billions on war and the Olympics.
Reply 797
Original post by tianuk3
Don't really agree with this. Really think Tuition fees should be more means-tested. If you are from a weathly background and family can afford it then you should pay more, if you are from a poorer background and family cannot afford it then you should pay less.

Raising the tuition fees even more would only push those who are from poorer backgrounds out of Medicine. If money has to be cut, just cut Government funding from degrees which are of low standards and no contribution to society (David Beckham studies?) and put that money into areas that we are lacking.

The Government here can lie all it wants about shortage of money for University and then spend billions on war and the Olympics.

This part sounds great but is unrealistic because its unfair.

Yeah,I know life\'s also unfair but let's face it...rich people run this world and there's no way a law is gonna come into place where rich people have to pay more than poor.

I am not rich myself, but I believe in the importance of realistic suggestions rather than utopian.
Reply 798
Original post by .eXe
a lot of times, once schools request grades and transcripts, they are ready to send out an interview offer. i had that happen with two schools, which both requested grades and sent me an interview within a couple days of receiving them.

Same experience here. The two schools that requested my transcripts gave me interviews, the two that didn't rejected me pre-interview.
Reply 799
Original post by tianuk3

If you looked at the old policy on the student loans in the UK, it's no wonder they created a blackhole of debt that wasn't paid back to them. It's not so much a lack of money then giving out loans they won't be paid back, thus effectively losing money.

Tuition fees do work somewhat this way when you consider the scholarships/bursaries given out to reduce the costs for students. They are usually given to those who will benefit from them more financially.

Original post by .eXe
On many levels, UK and Canada face the same issues...oversubscribed courses.

The major reason most Canadians (not myself though) leave Canada and pursue medicine elsewhere is not because requirements are insane in Canada, but because even brilliant people who deserve a place in med school are left back due to insane competition.

Now, Canada faces yet another challenge in that we have one of the worst physician/patient ratio in the developed world. Canada's answer to all this has been to randomly increase med school spaces. Just a few years back they increased 30-50 spaces overall (nationally).

If other governments follow suit, I think there can be a very good system in place which takes in a good amount of medical students, while giving them some assurance that following their MD, they won't be sitting at home in their mom's basements applying to a billion positions and praying that they get lucky.

Not exactly regarding money. Say you take a loan of ~125 pounds (school fees alone abroad) for 5 years. When you consider compound interest and your earning power at the start, it will take a long time to pay back the loan you took. However if you just mean home fees, then I suppose depending on the increase, the extra loan taken will not be as significant as paying overseas fees (though it will probably be a significant amount in itself).

WIth regards to home/overseas fees, I think it's perfectly justified to have cheaper home fees so as to train more people. Having higher home fees would make it less affordable to many, and let's face it $$ is a consideration you have to take into account when you choose your education. For overseas applicants, even more so.

About people doing whatever they can do get into medicine, I disagree. There is a limit to what they can do and sometimes it is the financial restraint that stops them for pursuing the career. (Especially so in SG where there is only one medical school). Guessing from the way you speak, you're fairly well-off and so the subject of raising fees in general will not affect you greatly. We have to consider the others who aren't though. There may be scholarships and bursaries given, but they are limited and many deserving candidates may not be awarded them.

Anyway, back to our normal topic of interviews/offers and what not, how's it going for you guys? I got an interview for Aberdeen on the 15th, but can't make it -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending