The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doctork2
Ouch... really should have checked the UKCAT cutoff before applying... The average last year was something along like 677.5 - but having said that, it's quite lower this year, but unfortunately not as low as 570, I'm afraid.

yep unfortunately i took the ukcat after applying to the university.. and plus my choices were VERY limited since i will be 17 at the start of the course :frown:
Reply 881
Original post by aeyurttaser13
yep unfortunately i took the ukcat after applying to the university.. and plus my choices were VERY limited since i will be 17 at the start of the course :frown:

Not true. Where did you get that information?!? :noway:
Original post by Vulpes
Not true. Where did you get that information?!? :noway:

many of the universities i checked, that i had preferred to begin with, stated that they do not accept students that do not turn 18 before september of the year of the start of the course :frown:
Reply 883
Original post by aeyurttaser13
many of the universities i checked, that i had preferred to begin with, stated that they do not accept students that do not turn 18 before september of the year of the start of the course :frown:

I'm not sure if that's all true... Wouldn't that imply people with birthdays after september have to apply next year? That doesn't sound fair/logical at all.
I'm not sure if that's all true... Wouldn't that imply people with birthdays after september have to apply next year? That doesn't sound fair/logical at all.

Exactly! Tell that to unis like UCL, manchester, and many others..

It's actually true for many unis, unfortunately, because most of them start patient contact early in the year, and thus med students need to be of the right age to go visit patients without any confidentiality issues!
Reply 886
Original post by wavezone113
It's actually true for many unis, unfortunately, because most of them start patient contact early in the year, and thus med students need to be of the right age to go visit patients without any confidentiality issues!

Ah, that explains it... That's quite unfortunate. In countries like South Korea, people's ages all change in New Years, not on their birthday - so those problems aren't very prominent there.
Ouch... really should have checked the UKCAT cutoff before applying... The average last year was something along like 677.5 - but having said that, it's quite lower this year, but unfortunately not as low as 570, I'm afraid.

I got around 600 and haven't heard from them and nottingham either. I don't know what is taking so long. :s-smilie:
Reply 888
Ah, that explains it... That's quite unfortunate. In countries like South Korea, people's ages all change in New Years, not on their birthday - so those problems aren't very prominent there.

So if my birthday is in February I don't officially "age" a year till the following January?
Reply 889
Well, considering Birmingham rejected me on the basis that I was only 16 at the time I applied, Yes, age is undoubtedly a factor when determining who attends medical schools.

Although I do disagree with this being a factor, I do see where they are coming from, as explained by the admissions officer on the phone, they believe that a certain maturity level must be maintained in medical school and that although age does not determine maturity. Work experience and combined with the aspects of medicine which so called "children" are exposed to (dying, sickness etc.), It is clear that age is definitely a factor.
Reply 890
Original post by Samy
Well, considering Birmingham rejected me on the basis that I was only 16 at the time I applied, Yes, age is undoubtedly a factor when determining who attends medical schools.

Although I do disagree with this being a factor, I do see where they are coming from, as explained by the admissions officer on the phone, they believe that a certain maturity level must be maintained in medical school and that although age does not determine maturity. Work experience and combined with the aspects of medicine which so called "children" are exposed to (dying, sickness etc.), It is clear that age is definitely a factor.

Did Birmingham say they rejected you because your age? My birthday is in Dec. I was 16 when I applied in Oct. last year. So far, I have not received anything from Birmingham, will not superise to get a rejection eventually.
Does anyone have any idea about the tuition fee structure in Glasgow? Like, if there is any fee differential between Years 1-2 and Years 3-5? I checked their media release for 2011/2012, and it seemed like there is no fee differential.. @@ so yea, I would like to ask if anyone here as any idea :smile: thanks!
Original post by Happymelon
Does anyone have any idea about the tuition fee structure in Glasgow? Like, if there is any fee differential between Years 1-2 and Years 3-5? I checked their media release for 2011/2012, and it seemed like there is no fee differential.. @@ so yea, I would like to ask if anyone here as any idea :smile: thanks!

There should be a difference for all unis, perhaps look into other chatrooms or another TSR thread - ask someone in a Glasgow medics thread maybe! :smile:

Perhaps Scotland's unis have changed their fee structure for medicine. For Aberdeen, internationals now have to pay the same price for all 5 years. You should email the uni to clarify :smile:
Reply 894
Original post by Metastasis
Perhaps Scotland's unis have changed their fee structure for medicine. For Aberdeen, internationals now have to pay the same price for all 5 years. You should email the uni to clarify :smile:

Source? Their website still lists different tuition for years 1&2 than 3,4&5.
Reply 895
Original post by Glia
Source? Their website still lists different tuition for years 1&2 than 3,4&5.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/registry/tuitionfees/documents/UGFeesforWeb2012_13_000.pdf

I'd wish you would do more research yourself before shooting down someone's answer. Yes, the website does split into pre-clinical and clinical fees, but do note the academic year.

Many schools are moving towards a flat-fee system. Sadly I think Glasgow has done the same (then again updated info for 2012/2013 isn't available so I can't say for sure), but it does look like it has moved to a flat-fee from the 2011/2012 info.
Reply 896
Does anyone know if it is more difficult for an international applicant to get into medicine than a "Home (UK/EU)" student ?
Reply 897
Original post by A_B_D
Does anyone know if it is more difficult for an international applicant to get into medicine than a "Home (UK/EU)" student ?

Obviously. MOst schools have crazy high requirements like 90% and higher a erages and only have 10-15 spots for intl and get on average 500-700 applications from internationals
Reply 898

It is true. November birthday here, deferred for a year. :frown:

Not all universities have these restrictions, but many do. People with birthdays after September can apply for deferred entry.
Reply 899
Original post by Samy

It's more than that. There are various legal issues, including liability with regards to a minor. These problems are worse for international students; some universities that do accept under-age candidates require appointment of legal guardian in UK.

You are not automatically rejected because of age, you may be offered deferred entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending