The Student Room Group

The TSR Tamil Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Potential Medic
I know I can get a B at the end of AS by doing maybe one or two resits next year as well, but the majority of unis only want a B at AS, so why risk carrying it into A2 and let it affect my other subjects as well if that makes sense. If I do carry it on unis are going to turn around and say 3 As inc. Bio and Chem., and I'd rather put the pressure off myself and just apply to unis that don't want Biology at all or only require a B/C at AS. There's quite a few actually.

Really? I'm surprised, because all the people I know who are going to do medicine have all studied biology. But surely, the unis will give more priority to those who actually studied biology? I don't know, I could be wrong.
But if that's what you really want to do then it's your choice, but just be sure. You should talk to your adviser at your college or sixth form.
Reply 981
Original post by senz72
Not very good ones. Sadly my parents have already classed.me as a flop. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww, that's okay. Trust me I understand!! I've applied for Kingston as my insurance for back up, but I really do not want to go there. If I don't get into Royal Holloway I am gonna apply through clearing because there is no way I am going to Kingston.
Original post by senz72
Not very good ones. Sadly my parents have already classed.me as a flop. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure your choices are fine. :smile: Economics sounds great and is super competitive to get into. My friend applied for this summer school and there was like 300 that applied for Economics and only 40 got in.
Original post by Shaxx
Really? I'm surprised, because all the people I know who are going to do medicine have all studied biology. But surely, the unis will give more priority to those who actually studied biology? I don't know, I could be wrong.
But if that's what you really want to do then it's your choice, but just be sure. You should talk to your adviser at your college or sixth form.

Isn't it most unis expect chemistry and biology at AS and then chemistry and either biology or maths at A2? Obviously most people take biology, but I don't think it will put Potential Medic at a disadvantage if they have maths instead so long as they can get AAA at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 984
Original post by senz72
Manchester or somewhere else. If I get good grades, I'm hoping there'll be places at a better uni. :smile:

May I ask a question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh that's good!!

Umm yes? Lol
Reply 985
ENNAMA KANNU, SOUKYAMA?????
VAVUNIYA LANKA TAMIL IN THE BLOCK....
NICE TO MEET MY TAMILSSSSS.... :cool:
Reply 986
I know I can get a B at the end of AS by doing maybe one or two resits next year as well, but the majority of unis only want a B at AS, so why risk carrying it into A2 and let it affect my other subjects as well if that makes sense. If I do carry it on unis are going to turn around and say 3 As inc. Bio and Chem., and I'd rather put the pressure off myself and just apply to unis that don't want Biology at all or only require a B/C at AS. There's quite a few actually.

But the thing is they'd prefer a lab based science in it's place. Do you physics?
Also the unis that don't ask for biology are still applied for by students with biology A2. Even if they say it doesn't disadvantage, it actually does and I'm pretty sure admissions will prefer the A2 biologist especially as biology is the biggest component in Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 987
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Isn't it most unis expect chemistry and biology at AS and then chemistry and either biology or maths at A2? Obviously most people take biology, but I don't think it will put Potential Medic at a disadvantage if they have maths instead so long as they can get AAA at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm maybe that's true, I really don't know you're probably right.
Reply 988
Original post by Shaxx
Ohh that's good!!

Umm yes? Lol

Are you an international student? I swear you said you were from Chennai?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaxx

Really wow! May I ask what sort of grades they are predicted and where they are going to study Medicine? I'm thinking mostly Londonish, but my parents want me to stay in West Midlands. Apparently if they set something as a minimum requirement they can't discriminate you against that afterwards as in they'll have to focus on other elements of the application instead e.g. UKCAT and interview. I've talked to my head of sixth form and it was him who suggested me to drop it, because unis require two sciences to A2 and luckily they accept Maths as a science and he knows why exactly I'm struggling with Biology (extenuating circumstances)and he said he'll mention that on my reference. Hopefully it'll be okay, but obviously I won't know until I've applied and got the uni decisions back.
Reply 990
Original post by sujan57

O.O

Amma da kannu soukyamthan? (lol FAIL)
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think that's the requirement too. Let's just hope for the best now!
Reply 992
Original post by senz72
Are you an international student? I swear you said you were from Chennai?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nononooooo am not an international student. Lol

I was born here in the UK.
But my parents were born in Chennai so that's why I said I come from Chennai.
Reply 993
Original post by Shaxx
O.O

Amma da kannu soukyamthan? (lol FAIL)

looooool....i thought u tamils wer fake buh u proved me wrong shaxx....
so what year u in???
Reply 994
I'm sure your choices are fine. :smile: Economics sounds great and is super competitive to get into. My friend applied for this summer school and there was like 300 that applied for Economics and only 40 got in.

It's not that competitive to be fair.

I went to this insight programme and it was 60 places applied for by ~900 people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sujan57

Did you say you're from Vavuniya? I think my dad's from that place, too.
Reply 996
Original post by Shaxx
Nononooooo am not an international student. Lol

I was born here in the UK.
But my parents were born in Chennai so that's why I said I come from Chennai.

Oh my bad. No wonder, there was me thinking they do Edexcel A-levels in India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
But the thing is they'd prefer a lab based science in it's place. Do you physics?
Also the unis that don't ask for biology are still applied for by students with biology A2. Even if they say it doesn't disadvantage, it actually does and I'm pretty sure admissions will prefer the A2 biologist especially as biology is the biggest component in Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get where you're coming from. I'll probably just phone some universities up and see what they say to my situation on results day. I was considering picking up Physics next year as an AS, but seeing how much my friends struggle with it, I think it would be a bad idea.
Reply 998
Really wow! May I ask what sort of grades they are predicted and where they are going to study Medicine? I'm thinking mostly Londonish, but my parents want me to stay in West Midlands. Apparently if they set something as a minimum requirement they can't discriminate you against that afterwards as in they'll have to focus on other elements of the application instead e.g. UKCAT and interview. I've talked to my head of sixth form and it was him who suggested me to drop it, because unis require two sciences to A2 and luckily they accept Maths as a science and he knows why exactly I'm struggling with Biology (extenuating circumstances)and he said he'll mention that on my reference. Hopefully it'll be okay, but obviously I won't know until I've applied and got the uni decisions back.

Oh okay, well in that case, I guess you will be fine.
Umm I know one person who was predicted really high grades like A*A*A or something, not sure. But she didn't get into medicine. Which was very shocking because everyone was sure she could do it! It's not just grades, you also have to make sure you have a lot of work experience and your personal statement has to be AMAZING. And make sure you impress in your interview. It is really really difficult.
Reply 999
Original post by sujan57
looooool....i thought u tamils wer fake buh u proved me wrong shaxx....
so what year u in???

Hahaha
Am in Year 13, you?

Original post by senz72
Oh my bad. No wonder, there was me thinking they do Edexcel A-levels in India.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looool nahh hahaha!

Quick Reply

Latest