The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:hugs: for stressed people

I want to bake again :frown: did brownies with my friend but that's all I've done in a month!
Reply 1981
:woo::woo: 9 hours! :woo::woo:

I wont be on till Tuesday, hope you all have an amazing weekend (whether seeing other halves or not)! :hugs::hugs:
Have a good time KT, I'm sure you'll be fine once you get to the airport :hugs:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Steer clear of WH Smiths in airports, having worked there we are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced! £1.79 for a bottle of water? WTF!

Also remember to take a clear plastic re-sealable bag, no larger than 20cm by 20cm for any liquids, gels or pastes in your hand luggage. Some aiports *cough stansted cough* charge you £1 to buy one...

I took my own re-sealable bag when I flew from Liverpool which met all the requirments but they made me buy a new one anyway as apparently it had to be an airport bag :frown: Standsted were much nicer and gave me a bag for free however...:biggrin:

WHSmith are ridiculously overpriced everywhere. Not sure how they are still operating, presumably because people will pay thier silly prices.
I only go to WHSmiths at the start of the year to buy folders and stuff (since tescos was sold out during freshers week :p:) but I do find it expensive.

I have reading week coming up and I was planning on writing my essay during it, but I am looking at the questions and I have no idea where I'm going to go with any of them :/ I seriously don't know how I get get 3000 words on "is teaching pronunciation important"
Have a lovely time Katie :woo:

Nina - I don't know! You could mention that in the UK we have different ways of pronouncing stuff through accents but that foreigners learn certain ways of saying words... At least you can argue both sides and then come to a conclusion. Check what reading there is :smile:
Original post by SpiritedAway
I only go to WHSmiths at the start of the year to buy folders and stuff (since tescos was sold out during freshers week :p:) but I do find it expensive.

I have reading week coming up and I was planning on writing my essay during it, but I am looking at the questions and I have no idea where I'm going to go with any of them :/ I seriously don't know how I get get 3000 words on "is teaching pronunciation important"
Thankyou for the maths stuff yesterday Katie! I was out all day so just having a proper look at them now. Think I'm gonna try the example questions from your attachments and my book and just do as many of them as I can!

The boy's taking me to Ask for dinner after the test, so it'll either be celebratory or comfort eating!

Have a good time Katie, I'm sure it'll all be fine once you get to the airport. I'd love to be flying away somewhere, especially with all this rain at the moment!
Original post by *Interrobang*
Have a lovely time Katie :woo:

Nina - I don't know! You could mention that in the UK we have different ways of pronouncing stuff through accents but that foreigners learn certain ways of saying words... At least you can argue both sides and then come to a conclusion. Check what reading there is :smile:

That's a really good idea, I hadn't though of that :smile:.

I'm just looking through the reading list, searching for any relevant books and then tomorrow I'll see what they have in the library and have a day looking through and planning. It's just really annoying that we're not even covering this topic in lectures till shortly before the deadline.
That's fine Hannah :smile: hope its celebratory! I'll have my driving test soon so hoping that's good news too :tongue:

No worries nina :smile: you might find other ideas in the reading too
Wow, good luck with that! I've never even had a driving lesson, everyone hassles me about it. If I could go back a few years I would've just started when I was 17-18, that's one regret I have.
Thanks :smile: I wish I had done it sooner, but there would have been no point doing it that young. Wish I had done it in my year working as a TA, but issues with Rob stopped that
I thought about it when I was a TA but I used to leave the house at about 6.40am and not get home til gone 6pm a lot of days so once I was home there was no way I'd wanna be taking driving lessons! Maybe next summer once the PGCE's finished, although I dunno where the money for it would appear from!
Good luck with the tests *fingers crossed*

I'm scared of driving. I've failed 2 tests, had 80-odd lessons and I still panic at roundabouts or if someone is tailgating or whatever. I might learn again when I'm a bit older, but for the moment, I can't see myself getting behind the wheel of a car again :afraid:

Hannah - I started learning beginning of April, so unless you do an intensive course it'll probably be difficult to pass in the summer. Would be useful for a job tho, definitely
I can see myself being all nervous too Nina! I'd really love to be able to drive though!

Well I doubt I'd pass over the summer since it's not very long at all, but it should be a good starting ground seeing as I wouldn't be working or anything (I doubt). Could even do 2-3 lessons a week if I wanted to.

I say all this, it won't happen!
Good luck with the test Katie! I did mine during high school, and it took me ages. I still dislike driving in cities, I think it's because I didn't do much training there. I loved driving in the States, 5 lanes of high way didn't worry me at all, but the smallness that is Europe does. Doesn't help that I simply can't afford a car and only drive when I am home in Germany.

I thought about maybe buying a small sort of scooter/motorcycle next year when I am working in schools.

Are you feeling prepared?

Nina, good luck with the essay!
I'm feeling reasonably prepared - my manoeuvres have been fine, just making a few silly mistakes in the driving, but overall my instructor thinks I'll pass :smile:
Our bins/recylcing just for colleected for the first time in 4 weeks.
I'm way too happy about this.
Original post by happydinosaur
I took my own re-sealable bag when I flew from Liverpool which met all the requirments but they made me buy a new one anyway as apparently it had to be an airport bag :frown: Standsted were much nicer and gave me a bag for free however...:biggrin:

WHSmith are ridiculously overpriced everywhere. Not sure how they are still operating, presumably because people will pay thier silly prices.

It was so stupid, we have a Spar next to one of our Smiths in the airport. At one point they were charging £1.80 for 2 bottles of lucozade, we were charging £1.99 for one bottle. People still came to us. They clearly trust us as a brand and hence come in...oh and we have laws which mean only we can sell newspapers in the airport etc.

In a bad mood today. I hate not hearing from the boy. Especially when he was on a night out last night. Puts nasty scenarios into my head.
He's probably just nursing a hangover in bed GEG, still sleeping! You have nothing to worry about, I can see how much he cares for you, just from all the posts in here!

Maths is boring me :boring: just doing all the questions in the revision book that I can get through. I know it's helping but I really just wanna play the Sims or watch something!

Latest