The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to move on from your ex?

My LDR ex recently dumped me (ended on good terms). I think I am starting to move on, but was wondering how long it took you?
Reply 1
I knew my last relationship was dead in the water for months before I called time on it (flogging a dead horse etc) and so I started to process that probably a good 3 months before the split. So maybe 8 months or so before I felt 'ready' for the possibility of anything else.
3 months ago I was dumped by my LDR ex. Even though she ended things, I was ready for it to be over, even though I couldn't didn't admit it at the time. The relationship was not good anymore and to be honest, I felt unloved and used.

I would have ended it if she didn't.

Honestly, idk when the right time is. I honestly think I will only realize I am ready when I find someone else. I no longer love my ex, nor have feelings for her, but I'm not thinking about other people. But perhaps I'm unique in this matter. I was never really interested in dating before her either.

So yeah, I guess there is no set time. If you find someone tomorrow, you may realize you are ready. But it might take you longer... Just listen to yourself and your feelings. You'll know deep down when you are ready
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly, idk when the right time is. I honestly think I will only realize I am ready when I find someone else.

In my experience (and I am old!), this is what tends to happen
Reply 4
I was already moved on from her by the time she became an ex tbh.
Honestly it took me a good year to get over my last ex, and there's still times where I think about what happened. Unfortunately, I think there will be things from that relationship that will always stick with me (he cheated on me, so not something you can easily get over). I'm still trying to get over my most recent ex currently, it's only been a couple of months but the break up came completely out of the blue, everything was going so well. So I think it will be quiet a while before I'm over him. I'm the kind of person that gets really affected by breakups. The thought of chatting to someone else does not appeal to me, as much as I would love a partner, I don't think I'm ready to potentially get hurt again.
Reply 6
3 months ago I was dumped by my LDR ex. Even though she ended things, I was ready for it to be over, even though I couldn't didn't admit it at the time. The relationship was not good anymore and to be honest, I felt unloved and used.

I would have ended it if she didn't.

Honestly, idk when the right time is. I honestly think I will only realize I am ready when I find someone else. I no longer love my ex, nor have feelings for her, but I'm not thinking about other people. But perhaps I'm unique in this matter. I was never really interested in dating before her either.

So yeah, I guess there is no set time. If you find someone tomorrow, you may realize you are ready. But it might take you longer... Just listen to yourself and your feelings. You'll know deep down when you are ready

This exactly happened to me, on the lead up to the breakup I felt exactly this!! Thank you for your advice and opening up. This was very useful!
This exactly happened to me, on the lead up to the breakup I felt exactly this!! Thank you for your advice and opening up. This was very useful!

I'm glad I was helpful

I know exactly what this is like and I'm so sorry you had to go through this too. If I can do anything, please let me know
Was so devastated for a few months about being dumped and couldn't get over it till he did something that made me see what type of person he really is and I just instantly lost all feelings I had left for him. I was actually glad it happened cos it made it so much easier to move on after that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending