The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So this no diary thing is going really well. Just had some pizza with mounds of cheese :colondollar:
Original post by jeh_jeh

And, exactly. "Invisible" disabilities are hard, because I don't tell people when I'm in pain doing day-to-day activities because I don't want to kick up a fuss and I think people forget (which is what I want, but then you get some ignorant ***** who think it's all some attention-seeking joke).

This. Exactly this. I think only my close family and the boy get it really (and even he admits he often forgets), that just because I don't complain out loud doesn't mean I'm not suffering with it. :hugs: its nice for me too, to know someone 'gets' it. If you ever want to chat or rant you know where I am!

xx
Original post by Stray_talk
So this no diary thing is going really well. Just had some pizza with mounds of cheese :colondollar:

:coma:
Reply 6823

Lololol. Sounds about right. My pre-graduation diet is going so well with the mounds of pizza and quiche I've consumed today. (In the presence of my ridiculously hot, Scottish-Italian GP! Swwwwwooon!)

Original post by blinkbelle
This. Exactly this. I think only my close family and the boy get it really (and even he admits he often forgets), that just because I don't complain out loud doesn't mean I'm not suffering with it. :hugs: its nice for me too, to know someone 'gets' it. If you ever want to chat or rant you know where I am!

xx

The boy said he's never even noticed. It actually makes me cry writing this. I think that's the sign of a true keeper, when they see through outward appearances and inward difficulties. Everyone else judges me, and he just doesn't. Gaaah, stupid tears! But, thank you. A million thank yous. :hugs:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37251057']:coma:

Why does it have to be so damn tastyyyyy? >.<
Original post by jeh_jeh
Lololol, I don't think people realise that 12 weeks post-surgery you are not going to be galavanting about. I've had this. It's like, dude, it took about four weeks for me not to want to sleep all the time. It makes me laugh, not because it's funny, but because I recognise this exact attitude.

And, exactly. "Invisible" disabilities are hard, because I don't tell people when I'm in pain doing day-to-day activities because I don't want to kick up a fuss and I think people forget (which is what I want, but then you get some ignorant ***** who think it's all some attention-seeking joke).

Oh, seriously. :colondollar: I'm just a regular, regular girl who wanted an education like every other student in the world. But, thank you. It means a lot, especially when someone "gets it". I don't want sympathy or pity, just some basic comprehension. :hugs: Good luck with the surgery - buy yourself pretty things before/after to cheer yourself up. :hugs:

Oui, I got £3k-ish, too. I could have had a Mac, but they just asked me what I used already and I was truthful.

Ditto. I asked if I could have a mac, and I could have if I paid the difference in price.

At the moment everyone thinks that I'm really lucky for having a month off work. They don't realise it's because my head is wrong. The only reason I'm back so soon is because I can't afford to not work... I think it's very hard for people not affected by these things to understand what it is like. I would swap my laptop for a brain that worked right and coordination any time. Give me a way to do that and I will. Right now! (although I may take my photos and music off it first...)
Why does it have to be so damn tastyyyyy? >.<

I knooooow :sad: I was in the college bar last night, and people kpet coming in with takeaway pizza and it smelt so gooooooood. Plus, both my housemate have made pizza for dinner. It's taunting me :tongue:

I lost a dress size in 2 weeks when I stopped all dairy... I wasn't doing it for the weight loss, but lactose intolerance testing...
Original post by jeh_jeh
Lololol. Sounds about right. My pre-graduation diet is going so well with the mounds of pizza and quiche I've consumed today. (In the presence of my ridiculously hot, Scottish-Italian GP! Swwwwwooon!)

:biggrin: I had a hot Scottish encounter on Friday - although it was only his voice I could hear but I bet he was 100% fiiiiiiine to look at too :biggrin:

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37251135']I knooooow :sad: I was in the college bar last night, and people kpet coming in with takeaway pizza and it smelt so gooooooood. Plus, both my housemate have made pizza for dinner. It's taunting me :tongue:

See! It's not as if you're not trying but when temptation is about all over the place what are you expected to do?!

Original post by Sephrenia
I lost a dress size in 2 weeks when I stopped all dairy... I wasn't doing it for the weight loss, but lactose intolerance testing...

Oh man, that's an added bonus! I'm trying it out to see if it'll stop my acne.
Reply 6829
Ditto. I asked if I could have a mac, and I could have if I paid the difference in price.

At the moment everyone thinks that I'm really lucky for having a month off work. They don't realise it's because my head is wrong. The only reason I'm back so soon is because I can't afford to not work... I think it's very hard for people not affected by these things to understand what it is like. I would swap my laptop for a brain that worked right and coordination any time. Give me a way to do that and I will. Right now! (although I may take my photos and music off it first...)

:p:

I would honestly swap everything. But, y'know, I can't, I need all the "freebies" I have and, really, haters gonna hate.
Reply 6830
:biggrin: I had a hot Scottish encounter on Friday - although it was only his voice I could hear but I bet he was 100% fiiiiiiine to look at too :biggrin:

My mamma's going on a medical trip this summer to Ghana with a load of other doctors and nurses, and he's going, too, and we had a meet-and-greet lunch at our house today because not everyone knows each other. SO FRIGGIN' HOT. :colondollar:
Original post by jeh_jeh

I would honestly swap everything. But, y'know, I can't, I need all the "freebies" I have and, really, haters gonna hate.

Haters gonna hate indeed. Be very few of them would turn down any freebies that got thrown their way =P
Reply 6832
Haters gonna hate indeed. Be very few of them would turn down any freebies that got thrown their way =P

...I, erm, wasn't gonna say this...

Original post by jeh_jeh
...I, erm, wasn't gonna say this...

I have no fear. Or social skills. Probably more of the latter... (yay for being on the autism scale?)
Reply 6834
I have no fear. Or social skills. Probably more of the latter... (yay for being on the autism scale?)

I think things need to be said sometimes, and I'm ashamed of myself for not being more outspoken (very occasionally, mind...! :p:).
Original post by jeh_jeh
I think things need to be said sometimes, and I'm ashamed of myself for not being more outspoken (very occasionally, mind...! :p:).

I tend to be outspoken about things that matter to me - disabilities, IVF and unfairness normally. Depends on what mood I'm in though. Quite often I just ignore, but occasionally I end up in a belligerent mood :tongue:
Reply 6836
I tend to be outspoken about things that matter to me - disabilities, IVF and unfairness normally. Depends on what mood I'm in though. Quite often I just ignore, but occasionally I end up in a belligerent mood :tongue:

I've become a bit militant recently, admittedly - I'm doing my Italian oral presentation on the extent to which disabled people in Italy can be empowered, as opposed to people in England. My tutor LOVES it and I am mega-excited! I just think it's so easy for unaffected people to take stuff for granted. Don't get me wrong, I take the fact that I have food on the table every day for granted sometimes - I'm not perfect - but... yeah. You know what I'm trying to say. People take wearing heels, walking without being in pain for granted and it just irks me.

And, basically, when someone has an opinion that directly affects something about me that I can't change (e.g. disability), it grates because I have fought for so long to live my life, and then you realise things haven't changed that much.
My diet is not going anywhere either. Exams start this week and I got 5 in 8 days. So I am stressed, reduced to tears several times a day and eat about 20 hours a day.

Wow Trish, how much dairy were you eating beforehand? And did you replace it with soy?

JB, I cannot believe how awful you must feel. I hope you being upset is slowly turning into being angry-because that's what you should be.
Could you try and see the boy a short time when over?
Original post by jeh_jeh
I've become a bit militant recently, admittedly - I'm doing my Italian oral presentation on the extent to which disabled people in Italy can be empowered, as opposed to people in England. My tutor LOVES it and I am mega-excited! I just think it's so easy for unaffected people to take stuff for granted. Don't get me wrong, I take the fact that I have food on the table every day for granted sometimes - I'm not perfect - but... yeah. You know what I'm trying to say. People take wearing heels, walking without being in pain for granted and it just irks me.

And, basically, when someone has an opinion that directly affects something about me that I can't change (e.g. disability), it grates because I have fought for so long to live my life, and then you realise things haven't changed that much.

Bingo! I actually can't say anything to that except, spot on! :-)
Original post by jeh_jeh
ETA: I really can't be bothered. If you want to think I'm some freeloader, that's fine.

---

Jelly, I am SO sorry. I don't even know what to say. :hugs: It's obviously someone's idea of a very sick joke. I hope everything works out. :hugs:

I think you've taken what I was saying slightly too personally. I wasn't talking about your disability (because I know nothing about it, so it wouldn't be my place to judge), I'm not taking anything I have for granted and I certainly wasn't calling anyone a freeloader. I was talking about the system, not any particular individual. I completely understand that people with disabilities need extra equipment, but I think it should be means tested first so the people with financial difficulties as well as their disabilities get more things for free than people with dyslexia (or whatever else) that have enough money for all the equipment into the bargain. I mean, my sister thinks the same as I do about the money thing, too, and she's the one entitled to it all. She's not asking for the free laptop, for instance, because she already has one.

edit: I'm the same about my exam, Sabrina :frown: :hugs: I feel physically sick with nerves.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest