The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
As far as I know, no, but he does disappear for longish periods. It all changed once the parents got involved.

Are they stopping him from talking to you then? :hugs: that such a shame that some parents want to stop their child from being happy with someone :sad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7661
Original post by Jellybean91
Are they stopping him from talking to you then? :hugs: that such a shame that some parents want to stop their child from being happy with someone :sad:

I honestly don't know what they intend on doing.

I'm stuck here in the US, he's in France right now and I wake up and go to sleep thinking of him - it's torture
Original post by ct2k7
I honestly don't know what they intend on doing.

I'm stuck here in the US, he's in France right now and I wake up and go to sleep thinking of him - it's torture

:hugs: my heart goes out to you... I can't even imagine what hell you're going through right now :hugs: I hope everything works out for you both :console:
Reply 7663
Original post by Jellybean91
:hugs: my heart goes out to you... I can't even imagine what hell you're going through right now :hugs: I hope everything works out for you both :console:

Advice needed please lovely people :smile: A friend of mine is celebrating her birthday at a greyhound racing stadium nearby but I disapprove of greyhound racing for many varying reasons and so asked her if I could come along for the food etc but not the racing/betting side of things but everything happens simultaneously so this won't be possible.

I did tell her I might not be able to come if it was held there and she was fine with this. Am I being rude by not attending because it's her birthday? I know if I did go then I'd be uncomfortable the whole time but I don't know if I'm supposed to put her birthday above my discomfort?
Original post by hbandtr4eva
Advice needed please lovely people :smile: A friend of mine is celebrating her birthday at a greyhound racing stadium nearby but I disapprove of greyhound racing for many varying reasons and so asked her if I could come along for the food etc but not the racing/betting side of things but everything happens simultaneously so this won't be possible.

I did tell her I might not be able to come if it was held there and she was fine with this. Am I being rude by not attending because it's her birthday? I know if I did go then I'd be uncomfortable the whole time but I don't know if I'm supposed to put her birthday above my discomfort?

Personally, if you've told her and she's fine then I think you have every right not to go. Your belief should be something you stick by and she should be able to respect that.
How about arranging to do something else with her another time? Seems like a strange venue :lolwut:
Reply 7666

Personally, I don't think you're being unreasonable (and you did offer to come to part of it - even if that's not possible - instead of flat-out refusing) but, then again, I do have some hard boundaries that I just refuse to ever cross!

Met the boy three years ago tonight, eee. :love:
Reply 7667

I don't think you're being rude. Especially if she seemed fine with it, then I'm sure she understands and would rather you don't have to sit there being uncomfortable just for her sake :smile:
Original post by Stray_talk
Does anyone else ever feel just so very tired of keeping up a long distance relationship?
There are times I can push through the frustration of it all because I can tell myself that the person I'm with is worth it all and more. But there are times, when I'm tired or had a bad day that just make me question it all. I'm tired all the time lately, I'm tired of having to be OK about it all. I'm tired of being hundreds of miles away from the one person I want to spend all my time with. I'm tired of having to plan when I can see them down to the nth degree. I'm tired of the smallest thing being amplified by the distance and becoming something larger than it should be. I'm tired of long weeks/months of no contact followed by intense 3 days of too much.

I'm tired of being tired about it. I just want normal.

:hugs: every single bloody day sadly :sad: but big :hugs: for you! Its horrible not being able to be with the one person you want to be with :sad: lots of :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Like Jess said, because you've offered to go to part of it I think thats ok because its not like you're saying you flat out don't want to go, you're making an effort to work around it which I think she'll appreciate! Do whatever makes you feel comfortable! :smile: you're not doing anything wrong by not going because you're still making an effort!
Boo, just got an email saying that the post-exam trip to Edinburgh has been cancelled cause not enough people signed up :sad:

Although on the plus side, I did successfully sign up for the Summer Ball meal :biggrin: (£72 a ticket, eek). Boy isn't coming, which makes me sad, but I can see why - it's s Thursday night, so he'd have to take two days off work.
CT2K7: I can't imagine what you're going through right now, I hope he gets in contact soon :hugs:

Kat: I agree with Jess, she said she was fine with it so I don't think it'll be a problem. And she's your friend, so I'm sure she understands.

On the boat back to Belfast! My Mum, her boyfriend and I drove up from Bradford this afternoon to Scotland.
Oh and in the end, I got his Mum and Dad chocolates, so I went round last night after my Mum and her boyfriend got to Bradford. They (His Mum and Dad) asked me if I wanted to see Stewart, I was like "Ermm... yeah okay". So I went upstairs, told him that they'd came over and they were helpin me pack. He gave me a hug and said he was sorry, and he hopes I would keep in touch. I just said "That's debatable" and laughed. So I said I would, but he has me on Facebook, so it's kinda the same thing. I went downstairs, and his Mum and Dad and my Mum were starin at me! I said "Why are you's all looking at me?" Jokingly, of course. Then I said "I'm not crying if that's what you's are thinking". And I really was fine, I couldn't leave without saying goodbye, despite everything.

Sorry I haven't been posting the last few days, been crazy with trying to pack up my room (There was no more room in the car so we had to send a box. Oh and I was literally crushed all the way from Bradford to Cairnryan lol.)
:poke:

Morning ladies :smile: Hope everyone is well.

Starting proper revision today. I've been doing reading and typing up note for the past week or so, but starting on memorising today. Only thing is, I'm torn between feeling like I should be doing loads of work, and trying to spread things out :s-smilie: I revise by doing mind maps and past questions, and I know that I could quite easily do all of those in the next two days...but my exam's not til Tuesday, so I don't want to get to the weekend and have no useful way of revising, then forget everything by Tuesday.

Current plan is to do decade mindmaps today, decade past questions tomorrow, theme mind maps on Saturday and theme questions on Sunday, then just spend Monday reading over my notes and writing down key facts/quotes. But that only amounts to about 3 hours work a day, and I feel like I should be doing more. But at this point, I don't think there's much point reading anything else (even if I could get hold of it), because there's a limit to the amount of information I can absorb.

Think I just need someone to tell me that what I'm doing is fine :tongue: I just don't want to get to next Tuesday and think 'if only I'd done more work'.

Reply 7672
Thankfully all of my exams are now over :smile: and my bf comes home tonight for 4days! I feel free at last, and today's went so much better than yesterday so I should at least scrape a pass. I've been that worked up over them I haven't slept for two nights really, but now I can relax. Rewarded myself by ordering the 6th series of Sex and the City :smile:
Reply 7673
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37593029']:poke:

Morning ladies :smile: Hope everyone is well.

Starting proper revision today. I've been doing reading and typing up note for the past week or so, but starting on memorising today. Only thing is, I'm torn between feeling like I should be doing loads of work, and trying to spread things out :s-smilie: I revise by doing mind maps and past questions, and I know that I could quite easily do all of those in the next two days...but my exam's not til Tuesday, so I don't want to get to the weekend and have no useful way of revising, then forget everything by Tuesday.

Current plan is to do decade mindmaps today, decade past questions tomorrow, theme mind maps on Saturday and theme questions on Sunday, then just spend Monday reading over my notes and writing down key facts/quotes. But that only amounts to about 3 hours work a day, and I feel like I should be doing more. But at this point, I don't think there's much point reading anything else (even if I could get hold of it), because there's a limit to the amount of information I can absorb.

Think I just need someone to tell me that what I'm doing is fine :tongue: I just don't want to get to next Tuesday and think 'if only I'd done more work'.

If you've only got the one exam, then I'd say that sounds about right. I have two revision-heavy exams (the other three are language and translation papers, so the amount of revision you can do for them is limited), and if I only had one I think I'd be in your position! You're lucky, hah.

---

Decided that I'm going to buy myself some pretty new clothes after exams. I'm actually managing to eat quite healthily at the moment (I know! Even with revision. I'm quite shocked myself!), so I'm hoping shopping won't be so depressing. I still need to find something to wear for graduation. I can't figure out what the dress code is for the restaurant that we're going to. I'm torn between going in my dress (it'll be a 7pm-ish sitting) and taking a spare outfit - skinny jeans, heels and a nice top?! Decisions!
Original post by Lil-Lele
Thankfully all of my exams are now over :smile: and my bf comes home tonight for 4days! I feel free at last, and today's went so much better than yesterday so I should at least scrape a pass. I've been that worked up over them I haven't slept for two nights really, but now I can relax. Rewarded myself by ordering the 6th series of Sex and the City :smile:

Glad this one went better, and :woo: for the boy coming :biggrin:

Original post by jeh_jeh
If you've only got the one exam, then I'd say that sounds about right. I have two revision-heavy exams (the other three are language and translation papers, so the amount of revision you can do for them is limited), and if I only had one I think I'd be in your position! You're lucky, hah.

---

Decided that I'm going to buy myself some pretty new clothes after exams. I'm actually managing to eat quite healthily at the moment (I know! Even with revision. I'm quite shocked myself!), so I'm hoping shopping won't be so depressing. I still need to find something to wear for graduation. I can't figure out what the dress code is for the restaurant that we're going to. I'm torn between going in my dress (it'll be a 7pm-ish sitting) and taking a spare outfit - skinny jeans, heels and a nice top?! Decisions!

Thanks :smile: I feel bad that I'm essentially complaining about not having enough work :tongue:

My graduation is at 11am, so I'll definitely be changing before going out for dinner. Although we're not going anywehere posh (Cafe Rouge). There's a graduation dinner the night before, but I'll probably wear something different - mainly because I'm wearing a cream shirt for my graduation, and if I wear it for the dinner, there will ineviably some sort of spillage, probably of the rose wine variety, so I daren't risk it :tongue:
Reply 7675
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37595128']
My graduation is at 11am, so I'll definitely be changing before going out for dinner. Although we're not going anywehere posh (Cafe Rouge). There's a graduation dinner the night before, but I'll probably wear something different - mainly because I'm wearing a cream shirt for my graduation, and if I wear it for the dinner, there will ineviably some sort of spillage, probably of the rose wine variety, so I daren't risk it :tongue:

Ah, mine's at 13:30, and I think we are going somewhere posh :p: because my grandparents (who are coming with us) are massive foodies! I think it'll ultimately depend on the type of dress I get. Argh, can't believe how fast it's creeping up!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, long-lasting foundation? Not bothered about price. I'll probably set it with powder, too, but I just don't want to look a mess for photos. :p:
Reply 7676
Afternoon all :hello:

How are we all?

Sorry I've disappeared for a bit, my laptop has died so only got internet on my phone at uni... not impressed considering i have an assignment due tomorrow and next wed. I don't know if i told you guys about my lecturers telling me to go to the doctors as ive been so stressed out etc lately but i went to the doctors today. He thankfully took me seriously as i was dreading it this morning however he's put me on sertrapline which I'm not sure how i feel about... tbh i havent collected my prescription as i dont particularly want to take them... having looked at side effects has put me off more. I also have to fill in a questionnaire about depression and i just feel crap. Desperately trying to write an essay by tomorrow and struggling. I really don't know what to do :frown:

I have been reading but not really registered much sorry guys, :hugs::hugs: for all though.
Original post by jeh_jeh
Ah, mine's at 13:30, and I think we are going somewhere posh :p: because my grandparents (who are coming with us) are massive foodies! I think it'll ultimately depend on the type of dress I get. Argh, can't believe how fast it's creeping up!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good, long-lasting foundation? Not bothered about price. I'll probably set it with powder, too, but I just don't want to look a mess for photos. :p:

My parents would have preferred to go somewhere a little bit posher, but Durham doesn't really have any options that aren't chain restaurants or pub grub :tongue:

No idea on the foundation question, I tend to wear primer and powder instead.
Reply 7678
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37595459']My parents would have preferred to go somewhere a little bit posher, but Durham doesn't really have any options that aren't chain restaurants or pub grub :tongue:

No idea on the foundation question, I tend to wear primer and powder instead.

Haha, this is the one advantage of going to university in Coventry - Birmingham is very close by! We're going to some posh grill in the financial quarter, I think.
Original post by jeh_jeh

Mac make up i've always found to be quite good for that sort of thing :smile: maybe go into somewhere like debenhams or house of fraser and see what theyve got and try a few different things out :smile:

Original post by 22KT22
Afternoon all :hello:

How are we all?

Sorry I've disappeared for a bit, my laptop has died so only got internet on my phone at uni... not impressed considering i have an assignment due tomorrow and next wed. I don't know if i told you guys about my lecturers telling me to go to the doctors as ive been so stressed out etc lately but i went to the doctors today. He thankfully took me seriously as i was dreading it this morning however he's put me on sertrapline which I'm not sure how i feel about... tbh i havent collected my prescription as i dont particularly want to take them... having looked at side effects has put me off more. I also have to fill in a questionnaire about depression and i just feel crap. Desperately trying to write an essay by tomorrow and struggling. I really don't know what to do :frown:

I have been reading but not really registered much sorry guys, :hugs::hugs: for all though.

Oh no massive :hugs: for you for both the internet and especially the depression!! I hope you're ok! :hugs:

Original post by jeh_jeh
Haha, this is the one advantage of going to university in Coventry - Birmingham is very close by! We're going to some posh grill in the financial quarter, I think.

ooooooh sounds loooovely :biggrin: very jealousss!

Latest