The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stray_talk
That is just lovely!! I love hearing other couples' little "things" :biggrin:

If you want to hear something sickening, I call Andy Twiglet's daddy :p:

Sian - I love Marmaduke, he is adorable!
Original post by happydinosaur
Awww, that makes it even cuter!

I've just discovered that the ceilings in my house are either paper thin or my housemate talks very loud. My room is the front room downstairs and whoever has the room above mine, I can hear pretty much every word they are saying...:s-smilie: Means they can probably hear me watching tv at 2 in the morning as well, oopsy!

Original post by Stray_talk
That is just lovely!! I love hearing other couples' little "things" :biggrin:

Thank you! :biggrin: Ooo he's here!! YAY!!
**** **** **** **** **** mouse in flat...we've had bait down for over 3 weeks so clearly it hates bait! Totally creeped out and feel all gross now!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
**** **** **** **** **** mouse in flat...we've had bait down for over 3 weeks so clearly it hates bait! Totally creeped out and feel all gross now!

We had a mouse once, traps didn't get it. In the end we borrowed a cat and that sorted it out no problem!
We had a mouse once, traps didn't get it. In the end we borrowed a cat and that sorted it out no problem!

Unfortunately I think pets aren't allowed in our tenancy agreement...although I may talk to landlord and be like FFS I DON'T WANT MICE!
I had a mouse ober the summer but it has just disappeared (or so I hope!) Haven't seen it since and the trap didn't work. I was told to use peanut butter.

How do you know you got mice? Did you see one?

Did you inform your landlord? The council comes out for free to solve the problem if neccessary.
I also closed up some holes throughout the flat, at least in the wall I heard the mice in. Not really sure that made a difference though, I live in an old flat and I am not sure I could even close every hole.

Original post by New...Romantic

I saw this earlier and meant to ask, what dance class are you going to? I started the ballet ones again last month, it's a new guy that does it and it is so much more enjoyable.

Oh, it's a new guy? I liked the other one too, but I think it could have been more fun. Is he doing stuff very differently?

I signed up to a society at uni. They produce a show every year and do a lot of different dances. I am doing ballet and flamenco. For ballet mot people seem to have experience and I only got my beginners course, so I hope I won't be too bad. It's all taught by students though, so not very professionally, but it's close to my place and might be a way to meet new people as well as do some sports.
Original post by Buecherwurm
I had a mouse ober the summer but it has just disappeared (or so I hope!) Haven't seen it since and the trap didn't work. I was told to use peanut butter.

How do you know you got mice? Did you see one?

Did you inform your landlord? The council comes out for free to solve the problem if neccessary.
I also closed up some holes throughout the flat, at least in the wall I heard the mice in. Not really sure that made a difference though, I live in an old flat and I am not sure I could even close every hole.

Oh, it's a new guy? I liked the other one too, but I think it could have been more fun. Is he doing stuff very differently?

I signed up to a society at uni. They produce a show every year and do a lot of different dances. I am doing ballet and flamenco. For ballet mot people seem to have experience and I only got my beginners course, so I hope I won't be too bad. It's all taught by students though, so not very professionally, but it's close to my place and might be a way to meet new people as well as do some sports.

Saw it a month ago, landlord is lovely and paid for private person to come put bait down etc., he came back today for 3rd check, said no bait had been touched so took the bait away but left a few traps. Then I saw it twice tonight. Unfortunately as we're in an old flat lots of holes, and if we wanted to close up the foot square holes landlord would have to demolish the kitchen, which she doesn't want to do!
Reply 987
miss my boy :frown:

i can't wait for the next nights sleep when he's next to me.. :smile:
Same in my flat, just impossible to close every hole. I heard they can get through holes as tiny as the circumference of a pen... :frown:
I only saw mine once and never again, never touched the trap either. I am no sure what I could do at this point, so am just ignoring it, hoping she found a better place downstairs in the restaurant :wink: I never told my landlord, should I have done that? As the problem seemed to have disappeared...

If the mice are still there he surely shouldn't have taken the baits? Maybe call the council anyway? I checked for myself and the Glasgow council offers a free servcie to analyse the situation and resolve the problem. Probably cheaper for your landlord, too.
Original post by Buecherwurm
Same in my flat, just impossible to close every hole. I heard they can get through holes as tiny as the circumference of a pen... :frown:
I only saw mine once and never again, never touched the trap either. I am no sure what I could do at this point, so am just ignoring it, hoping she found a better place downstairs in the restaurant :wink: I never told my landlord, should I have done that? As the problem seemed to have disappeared...

If the mice are still there he surely shouldn't have taken the baits? Maybe call the council anyway? I checked for myself and the Glasgow council offers a free servcie to analyse the situation and resolve the problem. Probably cheaper for your landlord, too.

Yeah I saw the hole it disappeared to in order to get under the cupboards, literally smaller than my little finger circumference, and I have little fingers!!
I'd tell your landlord :Yep:

Well he said there was no sign of mice as bait was untouched and there were no droppings...so it may be a new mouse :sadnod: tbh even though the council may be cheaper for my landlord I'm not too fussed about making her pay :colondollar:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Unfortunately I think pets aren't allowed in our tenancy agreement...although I may talk to landlord and be like FFS I DON'T WANT MICE!

They weren't in ours either. Thankfully the cat wasn't a permenant addition to our house (even though everyone else wanted to keep it) as I don't really like animals, not a pet lover and have a cat allergy.

The mouse wasn't too bad, seem to be a really common problem with old houses. My friend once found one sitting on her kitchen worktop eating the breakfast cereal. Prefered the house having mice to the slugs that were crawling out of holes in my second year house. That was DISGUSTING!!! Had to use about 5kg of salt to defend the house, literally poured mountains of salt around the entire outside walls and all around the kitchen walls inside too.
(edited 12 years ago)
They weren't in ours either. Thankfully the cat wasn't a permenant addition to our house (even though everyone else wanted to keep it) as I don't really like animals, not a pet lover and have a cat allergy.

The mouse wasn't too bad, seem to be a really common problem with old houses. My friend once found one sitting on her kitchen worktop eating the breakfast cereal. Prefered the house having mice to the slugs that were crawling out of holes in my second year house. That was DISGUSTING!!! Had to use about 5kg of salt to defend the house, literally poured mountains of salt around the entire outside walls and all around the kitchen walls inside too.

None of me and my flatmates are cat people :nah: but we may see if we can find someone to borrow one of if we need to!

Ewww slugs, that's foul! I'm quite tempted to try those sonic plugs which apparently scare away mice and spiders
Oh god, we had slugs in our kitchen at one point last year. I went into the shed, found some slug pellets in there and put about three feet of slug pellets and salt around the outside edge of the kitchen. Soooooo disgusting. In a way I'd actually prefer mice because slugs are so slimy and ****ing vile. Ughhhhh. The boy will be staying at my student house for the first month or so of this term (he doesn't start back at naval college in Newcastle til near the end of November for some bizarre reason) so if I come across any grossness like that again I'll be asking him to get rid of it!

Mice-wise, if you're using bait on traps then don't use cheese, they're actually not that keen on it. Apparently chocolate spread is effective. Other than that and possibly acquiring a cat for a while then I'm not sure what else to suggest :frown: but I really feel for you, pest problems in student housing are awful.

That build a bear is so cute! I'm not much of a bears and cutesy presents person but I actually really like build a bears because of how you can personalise them. The boy and I were talking about pets earlier, funnily enough, and I was talking about how I'm not keen on small yappy dogs and he was like "well if our kids ever asked for a dog I wouldn't say no" and it was like AWWWWWWWDSBVKAJS :love:
Original post by rainbow drops
Oh god, we had slugs in our kitchen at one point last year. I went into the shed, found some slug pellets in there and put about three feet of slug pellets and salt around the outside edge of the kitchen. Soooooo disgusting. In a way I'd actually prefer mice because slugs are so slimy and ****ing vile. Ughhhhh. The boy will be staying at my student house for the first month or so of this term (he doesn't start back at naval college in Newcastle til near the end of November for some bizarre reason) so if I come across any grossness like that again I'll be asking him to get rid of it!

Mice-wise, if you're using bait on traps then don't use cheese, they're actually not that keen on it. Apparently chocolate spread is effective. Other than that and possibly acquiring a cat for a while then I'm not sure what else to suggest :frown: but I really feel for you, pest problems in student housing are awful.

That build a bear is so cute! I'm not much of a bears and cutesy presents person but I actually really like build a bears because of how you can personalise them. The boy and I were talking about pets earlier, funnily enough, and I was talking about how I'm not keen on small yappy dogs and he was like "well if our kids ever asked for a dog I wouldn't say no" and it was like AWWWWWWWDSBVKAJS :love:

AWWWW that's so cute!

Yeah we've got nutella on the traps :yep: cyril (the mouse) is clearly cunning/a fussy eater! I can't think of anyone I know in Glasgow who has a cat...I'm guessing pet shelters won't loan you one will they?
Reply 994
Just ended up breaking down on my housemates shoulder.... feeling really silly/pathetic atm.
GEG - we had a mouse problem over the summer - apparently, mice don't like mint, so try putting that (dried or fresh) around the holes where they could be getting in. Not sure how well that works though - I've only been back for a day.

-------

Do you guys remember my housemate drama (one housemate going out with the other's ex-girlfriend)? Well apparently, Dave and V got together the week after Danny and V broke up :/ I now understand why Danny is so pissed off (tbh, I understood anyway, but now I don't understand why he hasn't punched either of them).

I'm struggling with how to act around them all atm. Danny is pretty much my closest friend, so I feel really pissed off on his behalf. Thing is, I'm also really close to Dave, so I can't really make myself feel pissed of with him - I'm mainly really angry at V for messing Danny aorund. Then I feel bad for begin cross with her, cause after all, it takes two, etc.

Don't know if it has something to do with the fact that I've been in the position of being the one who broke up someone's relationship before - my ex was still techinically dating his ex-gf when we got together (although I didn't know that at the time - he told me they'd split up).

----------

This has turned into a bit of a drunken ramble. Think I'm going to go eat some ice cream, and watch 'Don't Tell the Bride'. Probably not a good idea to stay up since I have a tutorial at 9 tomorrow, but I don't feel like going to sleep alone. I want boy snuggles *grumps*
Original post by 22KT22
Just ended up breaking down on my housemates shoulder.... feeling really silly/pathetic atm.

Aw, don't feel bad. Sometimes we need a good cry and a hug and I am sure your friend will understand. You are not pathetic.

It's dripping through my ceiling. It did that yesterday and we figured out that it came form a flat above. They called out a plumber but as it was 10pm apparently he couldn't fix it anymore. So apparently he turned off their hot water supply and that should fix it. He couldn't come back till tomorrow, so basically two days later than the discovery of the leak.

Now it's freakin dripping again! Our landlord basically says it's not his responsibility as it's coming from above. Fair enough. but if you cause a leak I don't think the plumber can not come back for two days! It's raining through my ceiling for heaven's sake! What should I do?
:hugs: to those who need them
:hugs: to all you that need them. Especially those with leaky roofs and infestations :/.

I've not really been feeling myself the last couple of days. I just have these weird pangs of nausea and then am throwing up for like an hour, but then I feel find afterwards. It's been happening now for about 2 weeks, but in the last couple of days it's been more frequent. I should maybe go to a doctor, but I hate it because I'm always scared they'll say nothing is wrong and think I'm a hypochondriac :o:.
Slugs are a pain in the backside. Can't get rid od them in the student house...they climbed up my drying clothes last night :'( :bawling:

Latest