The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Internet Speed

Hey, wondering what the internet speeds, latency, variance and download capacity is like. I saw on the campus website they said the standard connection is 100 MB or 1 GB with upgrades, are they meaning Mbit and Gbit as in data speed or are they meaning Megabyte/Gigabyte as in data amount. Being limited to 100 MB of data would cripple me completely.

Also it states that all P2P can result in disconnection and that anti-virus needs to be installed, I do not want nor do I require anti virus to prevent my system being infected. Can I install it for the scan and then remove it afterwards, it causes a humongous consumption of system resources that I need, in terms of P2P has anyone tried torrenting, is it just an empty threat.

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Can't answer all your questions - but there's no limit on data amount, don't worry!
Information Services (IT and Library people) have massively been upgrading internet in halls so hopefully it's much better than when I was there 4 years ago!
Preeeetty sure you can't torrent and that's not just an empty threat. I've never known anyone to torrent, and I'm sure the rumour would have got out that it was possible!
Re: anti-virus thing, your best bet is to ring IS and ask them about it, then decide what you want to do after that! http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/IS/help/index.aspx

(If you do have problems with internet speeds and whatnot in the future, do let me know, I'm the Education Officer at the Students' Union and I have direct contact with the IT/Library people and can tell them it needs sorting out!)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceGaveMeAHadr
Hey, wondering what the internet speeds, latency, variance and download capacity is like. I saw on the campus website they said the standard connection is 100 MB or 1 GB with upgrades, are they meaning Mbit and Gbit as in data speed or are they meaning Megabyte/Gigabyte as in data amount. Being limited to 100 MB of data would cripple me completely.

Also it states that all P2P can result in disconnection and that anti-virus needs to be installed, I do not want nor do I require anti virus to prevent my system being infected. Can I install it for the scan and then remove it afterwards, it causes a humongous consumption of system resources that I need, in terms of P2P has anyone tried torrenting, is it just an empty threat.

Thanks for reading.

They insist on it because just because you feel you are competent at managing your PC and can protect yourself against viruses and hackers, there is always going to be someone smarter than you who knows better (and being a university, there probably is sat in the room next to you, or the next hall, and I don't mean that in a nasty way, there are many very bright people here. Hopefully you are one of them). Failing that, there will be someone who isn't as comfortable with computing who will send you something infected, which you then pass on, or worse, watch impotently as it hoses your computer. Would you drive a car without insurance? Get over it - install AV software.

The uni recommend Sophos which isn't resource hungry and doesn't slow down your machine (at least, not if it is a relatively modern one). This year they look to be implementing regular scanning to make sure people are using AV so uninstalling isn't going to be a wise choice unless you want to spend hours without access!

They are also pretty aggressively anti P2P, and having suffered a few issues last year that were the result of P2P users I can't blame them.

The connection the University has to JANET is 2Gbs. The halls share this with the rest of the University. The room socket is 100Mb/full duplex, and they don't cap what you can download (but do warn anyone they see with excessive downloads) but they do throttle traffic. They are also being fairly open about it too - the SNS website has info about what to expect.

Don't expect a home broadband connection. Information Services have to manage thousands of concurrent connections and still maintain a service for the Uni, so just because you have three machines at home don't think that counts as a real network. Home connections don't scale to the size of small towns. They have to make decisions that impact what some people want to do in order to keep things running for everyone else.
Reply 3
Original post by envsci83
The connection the University has to JANET is 2Gbs. The halls share this with the rest of the University. The room socket is 100Mb/full duplex, and they don't cap what you can download (but do warn anyone they see with excessive downloads) but they do throttle traffic. They are also being fairly open about it too - the SNS website has info about what to expect.

Are you sure? I've had speeds of >300Mbps in the middle of the day on the main uni network... I'd be surprised if I was using 1/6 of the whole university's bandwidth. I'll see if I can find out... someone in the CS dept is bound to know.
Original post by alex-hs
Are you sure? I've had speeds of >300Mbps in the middle of the day on the main uni network... I'd be surprised if I was using 1/6 of the whole university's bandwidth. I'll see if I can find out... someone in the CS dept is bound to know.

I've seen examples in the past of one user taking up almost half of an entire departments bandwidth so it could imagine that if the network was under low stress then you could have used 1/6 of its capacity

Original post by envsci83
They insist on it because just because you feel you are competent at managing your PC and can protect yourself against viruses and hackers, there is always going to be someone smarter than you who knows better (and being a university, there probably is sat in the room next to you, or the next hall, and I don't mean that in a nasty way, there are many very bright people here. Hopefully you are one of them). Failing that, there will be someone who isn't as comfortable with computing who will send you something infected, which you then pass on, or worse, watch impotently as it hoses your computer. Would you drive a car without insurance? Get over it - install AV software.

The uni recommend Sophos which isn't resource hungry and doesn't slow down your machine (at least, not if it is a relatively modern one). This year they look to be implementing regular scanning to make sure people are using AV so uninstalling isn't going to be a wise choice unless you want to spend hours without access!

They are also pretty aggressively anti P2P, and having suffered a few issues last year that were the result of P2P users I can't blame them.

Don't expect a home broadband connection. Information Services have to manage thousands of concurrent connections and still maintain a service for the Uni, so just because you have three machines at home don't think that counts as a real network. Home connections don't scale to the size of small towns. They have to make decisions that impact what some people want to do in order to keep things running for everyone else.

Genius hackers tend to get jobs fighting hacking, the money is with the corporations not crime. As for anti-virus 90% of the problems I've seen in online gaming and network negotiation have been due to having AV software, the other 10% are due to Windows security. Even the 'Gaming' variants are devastating if you want to enjoy competitive gaming.

As for security its far more important to have a good browser that lacks the security loopholes most malicious sites use to get a file onto your PC. In the 15 years I've used PC's and surfed the internet I've never personally got a virus on a PC as it's simply intelligent browsing and downloading that keeps viruses out. There are plenty of items of malware out there that can defeat the latest AV.

If I have to install AV then I will, but it will run with all the features turned off and be effectively non-existent. I have several brands of AV software lying around and if I get the chance to uninstall them they will be gone in a flash.

I was expecting a bad internet connection but what level are we speaking about here? My internet isn't exactly good, it's a rural connection and I'm lucky to get a ping below 0.1 seconds to anywhere but the nearest cities and my upload/download is 0.3/6 mbits respectively which is below average if anything. I can tolerate slow speeds but latency is a killer, are the pings good? How bad is the download speed, hows the network negotiation etc etc.
Reply 5
I've seen examples in the past of one user taking up almost half of an entire departments bandwidth so it could imagine that if the network was under low stress then you could have used 1/6 of its capacity

Genius hackers tend to get jobs fighting hacking, the money is with the corporations not crime. As for anti-virus 90% of the problems I've seen in online gaming and network negotiation have been due to having AV software, the other 10% are due to Windows security. Even the 'Gaming' variants are devastating if you want to enjoy competitive gaming.

As for security its far more important to have a good browser that lacks the security loopholes most malicious sites use to get a file onto your PC. In the 15 years I've used PC's and surfed the internet I've never personally got a virus on a PC as it's simply intelligent browsing and downloading that keeps viruses out. There are plenty of items of malware out there that can defeat the latest AV.

If I have to install AV then I will, but it will run with all the features turned off and be effectively non-existent. I have several brands of AV software lying around and if I get the chance to uninstall them they will be gone in a flash.

I was expecting a bad internet connection but what level are we speaking about here? My internet isn't exactly good, it's a rural connection and I'm lucky to get a ping below 0.1 seconds to anywhere but the nearest cities and my upload/download is 0.3/6 mbits respectively which is below average if anything. I can tolerate slow speeds but latency is a killer, are the pings good? How bad is the download speed, hows the network negotiation etc etc.

You may find http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/sns/ useful.

Thanks for reading.

University networks are a breeding ground for viruses and malware. If you do not install a firewall and antivirus your computer will be compromised.

Torrenting will definitely not be allowed and they will do all they can to detect and, if necessary, discipline people for using it. May seem harsh, but it's their network.
what P2P do they mean?
i understand why they stop torrents because people forget to turn it of and it uploads a ****load (they prob more worried about people uploading then downloading)
but what about newsgroups? which you dont upload at all, just download.

people who get virus's are girls. Really not hard to stay away from them. So will be annoyed if i have to have this AV they suggest...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
lol, your going to have no friends.

let him be an arrogant nerd and not install anti virus on his computer, its going to be his only friend
Reply 9
Newsgroups are not P2P. If you don't know this, then you really should install AV on your computer.
Out of interest, why do you think it uses up precious resources? Are you planning on running real-time simulations of the universe in your room? If that is the case, just use the University HPC :-)
Reply 10
I cant download movies from websites like thepiratebay.org and btjunkie.org through bittorent ??
Reply 11
@AT1719 correct. You can however purchase said movies from Amazon.co.uk or stream them from Lovefilm.com
The downspeed is limited to 4MB/s
There are many ways around the firewall. And of course a way around the required AV too.
Reply 13
They wont let you connect to the universities internet without virus software.
I'm in Lincoln at the moment and the first few weeks internet was awful. We then all figured out that we needed to manually put in the proxy settings and now its fairly fast :smile:. I dont torrent and i think the one guy in my block who does is having to do it all at home over the holidays.
Original post by Dec S 92
They wont let you connect to the universities internet without virus software.
I'm in Lincoln at the moment and the first few weeks internet was awful. We then all figured out that we needed to manually put in the proxy settings and now its fairly fast :smile:. I dont torrent and i think the one guy in my block who does is having to do it all at home over the holidays.

Proxy settings?! Tell me! I must have the slowest internet in Willo.

Be warned, if you're in Willo, 4OD will not work. It just won't.
Reply 15
Original post by yahyahyahs
Proxy settings?! Tell me! I must have the slowest internet in Willo.

Be warned, if you're in Willo, 4OD will not work. It just won't.

go control pannel > Network and internet > internet options > connections > click on "lan settings" > tick "use automatic configuration script" > into the box below type http://wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk/proxy.pac .......EXACTLY LIKE THAT i havent missed a dot between wwwcache or anything :smile:

Save these settings and you're internet should be much faster :smile:

oh and 40d doesnt work in any halls i dont think, just watch channel four shows though their youtube channel
go control pannel > Network and internet > internet options > connections > click on "lan settings" > tick "use automatic configuration script" > into the box below type http://wwwcache.nottingham.ac.uk/proxy.pac .......EXACTLY LIKE THAT i havent missed a dot between wwwcache or anything :smile:

Save these settings and you're internet should be much faster :smile:

oh and 40d doesnt work in any halls i dont think, just watch channel four shows though their youtube channel

Aye can confirm 4od doesn't work anywhere, certinaly not in BGP (we use the same internet). The 4od on youtube is the same though...

Neither does the likes of XBL or PSN, barely.
Reply 17
Original post by yahyahyahs

...l

Original post by In the looney bin

Do you have any idea why stuff doesn't work on 40d? It's a pretty common player probably second to bbc iplayer..

I use youtube aswell however for new shows they don't put them onto youtube until much later
Reply 18
Probably a combination of funky ports and the DRM in use. Interestingly I get the adverts but not the actual content playing. Always been thus. Roll on a single solution based on iPlayer.
4od content is on YouTube, so probably just use that really.

BigVitaminD
There are many ways around the firewall. And of course a way around the required AV too.

Not being funny, but with the amount of crap people download from untrusted sources with or without realising it, I'd rather students didn't circumvent the anti-virus requirements. Fortunately, I run Linux and it never checked, but I still had it installed :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending