The Student Room Group

F215 (Control, Genomes and Environment) OCR Biology - Tuesday 31st January 2012

Scroll to see replies

hey everyone

what is everyone learning now in lessons? i feel abit behind at the moment as i have only just started genetics.
has anyone got any unit specific past papers starting from January 2002 till present. what i mean is, has anyone got past papers from previous years which are organised into the 4 units which make up f215 instead of getting through all the past papers, and dojng some questions and then finding more lol.
sorry for being lazy

thanks
Reply 42
Original post by undertaker1
hey everyone

what is everyone learning now in lessons? i feel abit behind at the moment as i have only just started genetics.

We’re doing genetic engineering at the moment and then we’re done with biotechnology. We’ve also done cellular control and ecosystems and sustainability. Only thing we haven’t done is ‘responding to the environment’ which we’ll be starting next week.
Original post by -Haz-
We’re doing genetic engineering at the moment and then we’re done with biotechnology. We’ve also done cellular control and ecosystems and sustainability. Only thing we haven’t done is ‘responding to the environment’ which we’ll be starting next week.

oh ok your going fast then through the whole syllabus.

how are you finding F215 so far. this module is really tricky and theres so much to learn.

btw in your lessons are you just copying notes of the board or is the teacher actually explaining the work aswell? lol soz for the stupid question hopefully you get what i mean
Reply 44
oh ok your going fast then through the whole syllabus.

how are you finding F215 so far. this module is really tricky and theres so much to learn.

btw in your lessons are you just copying notes of the board or is the teacher actually explaining the work aswell? lol soz for the stupid question hopefully you get what i mean

Yeah I suppose we are going quite fast, we don’t seem to be going through it in loads of detail though so we’ll probably go over it all again.

I’m not enjoying it much, the only thing I do like is the ecology stuff (which most people seem to hate). I can’t stand genetics or biotechnology.

We don’t do much copying off the board, my teacher mainly talks and we’re expected to remember, there’s very little opportunity to write anything down. She’ll talk for a bit and then get us to answer some questions and then she'll go through the questions and explain the answers. Or we’ll sometimes watch a youtube animation. But I don’t get much out of lessons so I do most of my work at home.
Original post by -Haz-
Yeah I suppose we are going quite fast, we don’t seem to be going through it in loads of detail though so we’ll probably go over it all again.

I’m not enjoying it much, the only thing I do like is the ecology stuff (which most people seem to hate). I can’t stand genetics or biotechnology.

We don’t do much copying off the board, my teacher mainly talks and we’re expected to remember, there’s very little opportunity to write anything down. She’ll talk for a bit and then get us to answer some questions and then she'll go through the questions and explain the answers. Or we’ll sometimes watch a youtube animation. But I don’t get much out of lessons so I do most of my work at home.

yeh i can imagine lol. to be honest lat year(i am on gap year now) my teacher just wrote on the board/powerpoint and we just copied of lol. i didnt really understand anything and the book explains it really well if you already have some background knowledge. so i spent hours reading the book and making notes which i never got to read at the end lol.

i personally hate all the ecology stuff because its pretty boring but actuall content is really simple and easy compared to all the other topics.

btw how are you planning on revising this topic once you have learnt it all??? i.e is there any point in doing loads of past papers or is it more worthwile to just memorise the content
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
btw how are you planning on revising this topic once you have learnt it all??? i.e is there any point in doing loads of past papers or is it more worthwile to just memorise the content

I memorise all the content first by taking loads of notes and then I’ll do some pasts papers at the start of January. I think it’s worth doing both, obviously memorising the content is important but the past papers will help with exam technique.
guys what do we actually need to no about epistasis-- i understand the theory but what sort of questions can they possibly ask us as???

yeh i can imagine lol. to be honest lat year(i am on gap year now) my teacher just wrote on the board/powerpoint and we just copied of lol. i didnt really understand anything and the book explains it really well if you already have some background knowledge. so i spent hours reading the book and making notes which i never got to read at the end lol.

i personally hate all the ecology stuff because its pretty boring but actuall content is really simple and easy compared to all the other topics.

Definitely do the past papers as well, last time I just memorized the content and did no practise. I only got 118 ums :smile:

guys what do we actually need to no about epistasis-- i understand the theory but what sort of questions can they possibly ask us as???

Apparently, they cant ask us about the gentic diagrams for epistasis. I cant imagine big questions on it, perhaps just single mark questions such as what is the ratio, or what is this type of epistasis called etc. Maybe the definition, or shows an example and then tells you to explain it or something.
Original post by -Haz-

Original post by -Haz-

You actually like ecology :eek:
You miss are not human:biggrin:
Original post by areebmazhar
Apparently, they cant ask us about the gentic diagrams for epistasis. I cant imagine big questions on it, perhaps just single mark questions such as what is the ratio, or what is this type of epistasis called etc. Maybe the definition, or shows an example and then tells you to explain it or something.

hey thanks,

also do we need to learn the details about cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anaemia and haemophilia. i understand all the genetics behind it but do we need to learn the exact details of what causes these diseases such as certain point mutations on beta polypeptide chains for sickle cell anemia or the fact that the protein factor 8 is not produced for haemophilia etc.

it doesn't say anything for it in the specification but the books seem to make a big deal out of it lol.

thanks for your help.

also past papers are a pain because the old syllabus is so mixed up and it takes ages finding suitable questions lol.

hey thanks,

also do we need to learn the details about cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anaemia and haemophilia. i understand all the genetics behind it but do we need to learn the exact details of what causes these diseases such as certain point mutations on beta polypeptide chains for sickle cell anemia or the fact that the protein factor 8 is not produced for haemophilia etc.

it doesn't say anything for it in the specification but the books seem to make a big deal out of it lol.

thanks for your help.

also past papers are a pain because the old syllabus is so mixed up and it takes ages finding suitable questions lol.

I've learnt about sickle cell anaemia but not much else, I did see an old spec question where then wanted details for SCA and CF. Maybe revise it anyway, its not much and quite interesting I think ( as a medicine applicant!)
Ive learnt my lesson this time, so I'm doing every single question I can, as long as its not completely off spec. Also, my teacher gives us questions from other exams boards as well because the topics are very helpful. And if I were you I would save the most recent (and most realistic) papers till closer to the exam
Reply 53
You actually like ecology :eek:
You miss are not human:biggrin:

I love ecology.. never understood why people don't like it. But maybe I'm just weird :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Can anyone see a mistake in the ocr book?

Chi-squared test.. page 134.. right at the bottom when it says: 'and they produced the following phenotypes:' shouldnt it be 51 yellow and wrinkled rather than 51 green and round.

Can anyone have a look for me or am I just confused?
Original post by ManPowa

Original post by ManPowa
Can anyone see a mistake in the ocr book?

Chi-squared test.. page 134.. right at the bottom when it says: 'and they produced the following phenotypes:' shouldnt it be 51 yellow and wrinkled rather than 51 green and round.

Can anyone have a look for me or am I just confused?

It looks right to me, and the book says its 54 not 51
Reply 56
It looks right to me, and the book says its 54 not 51

No its wrong you know. Look at it properly, one of them should be '51- yellow and wrinkled' not green and round. Theres two green and round;
Original post by ManPowa
No its wrong you know. Look at it properly, one of them should be '51- yellow and wrinkled' not green and round. Theres two green and round;

hey hows your revision going mate???
Original post by ManPowa

Original post by ManPowa

Yep, seen it now :smile:
hey hows your revision going mate???

Original post by ManPowa

Are you guys going for an A* as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending