The Student Room Group

2x^2+5x=0 solve by factorisation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TenOfThem
It has to be exactly as I gave it in post 63

Thank you sir. you have been of immense help to me.
No problem

Do you want to try another?
Reply 62
No problem

Do you want to try another?

Later sir, i am very fatigued after all that maths work. I think i put it as root 6 as it says put it in the simplest form. You have been of immense help sir, you should feel proud you are helping out a fellow human being.
Reply 63
Original post by DFranklin
No it isn't.

It is very very rare that someone will actually do this. Instead, they skip steps thinking they understand them, and have no idea how to do it themselves.

Mathematics is about more than calculations.

Well, I have two mathematics degrees (BSc/MSc) and a computing MSc, plus I've supervised maths undergraduates.

Not to mention that I'm the moderator for this forum, and the forum Guide to Posting says that you should avoid posting full solutions where possible.

Please obey the forum guidelines in future, or your posts may be removed and you may receive warning points.

Fair enough but that's how my uni teaches you.

Feeds you with samples, analyse them and expects you to come up with your own problems and then explain how you got there in depth. You are then graded on your understanding of every minute detail.

I am now a much much better mathematician than before and more confident because of this way of doing things. Like i said, if someone doesn't put in the effort themselves then they're going to get nowhere in any walk of life, not just maths.

It's a very good way of learning on computational mathematics so I see no reason why it can't be applied to just strictly math.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to give full solutions for people to learn from but it's the best method hence why in top math unis they make people get up in class and show the other students a problem and how they solved it.
Original post by AberLAD
Fair enough but that's how my uni teaches you.

Feeds you with samples, analyse them and expects you to come up with your own problems and then explain how you got there in depth. You are then graded on your understanding of every minute detail.

I am now a much much better mathematician than before and more confident because of this way of doing things. Like i said, if someone doesn't put in the effort themselves then they're going to get nowhere in any walk of life, not just maths.

It's a very good way of learning on computational mathematics so I see no reason why it can't be applied to just strictly math.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to give full solutions for people to learn from but it's the best method hence why in top math unis they make people get up in class and
show the other students a problem and how they solved it.

That is fine if you are in a classroom and students can discuss the process ... On here the only way to emulate that discussion is to take people through small steps
Original post by mrdreamerstar
THE exam is non calculator. so the answer can be 24/4 or cant i simplify that like i said and have x= -4+or- square root of 6? or does it have to be square root of 24/4

It just does not work like that.

If you divide the square root of 24 by 4, you DO NOT get the square root of 6. Try not to make this mistake.

If you wish to simply 244\frac {\sqrt {24}}{4}, you can do it this way:

244=2416=2416[br]2416=1.5\frac {\sqrt {24}}{4} = \frac {\sqrt {24}}{\sqrt {16}} = \sqrt {\frac {24}{16}}[br]\sqrt {\frac {24}{16}} = \sqrt {1.5}

So you can have your final answer as 1.5+1 \sqrt {1.5} + 1 or 1.51 \sqrt {1.5} - 1.
You may note that a forum environment is very different from a university one. Search some threads on TSR (and read the Guide and the threads it links to) and see for yourself. The recent thread where someone posted a full solution, the OP said "great, I really understand it now", and then had absolutely no clue how to answer a very similar question was a particular classic.

In any event, as the guide says, the vast majority of forumites studying maths at degree level agree that you learn better if you're helped towards finding your own solution, rather than just reading a full solution.

(If you already have a full solution, you may well benefit from seeing other approaches to the problem, but this is somewhat different).

I'll also note that if someone else is trying to lead someone towards a solution step-by-step, it's blatantly rude to jump in and post a full solution. Again, this is specifically mentioned in the guide to posting.

I didn't know you weren't allowed to give full solutions for people to learn from but it's the best method hence why in top math unis they make people get up in class and show the other students a problem and how they solved it.
Certainly not how they do things in Cambridge. Maybe that's not a top maths uni or something...
Reply 67
Original post by justinawe

If you divide the square root of 24 by 4, you DO NOT get the square root of 6. Try not to make this mistake.

244=2416=2416[br]2416=1.5\frac {\sqrt {24}}{4} = \frac {\sqrt {24}}{\sqrt {16}} = \sqrt {\frac {24}{16}}[br]\sqrt {\frac {24}{16}} = \sqrt {1.5}

So you can have your final answer as 1.5+1 \sqrt {1.5} + 1 or 1.51 \sqrt {1.5} - 1.

why not square root of 6? coz square root of 24/4 thats square root of 6
Reply 68
Original post by justinawe

okay, thank you sir i understand that. its very difficult.

Certainly not how they do things in Cambridge. Maybe that's not a top maths uni or something...

Meh, I've heard they think they're all that but they're not really, also apparently Newton didn't really like it there either, much too elitist for him... :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
I got the answer guys
x(2x+5)=0
x= 0
or 2x=5, thus x=2.5
Original post by Billy Pilgrim
x(2x+5)=0
x= 0
or 2x=5, thus x=2.5
I suggest in future you read the entire thread before posting. See also the Guide to Posting and what it has to say about posting full solutions.
ProTip: read the entire thread before posting.

Yeah didn't realize it was three pages.
Reply 74
You may note that a forum environment is very different from a university one. Search some threads on TSR (and read the Guide and the threads it links to) and see for yourself. The recent thread where someone posted a full solution, the OP said "great, I really understand it now", and then had absolutely no clue how to answer a very similar question was a particular classic.

In any event, as the guide says, the vast majority of forumites studying maths at degree level agree that you learn better if you're helped towards finding your own solution, rather than just reading a full solution.

(If you already have a full solution, you may well benefit from seeing other approaches to the problem, but this is somewhat different).

I'll also note that if someone else is trying to lead someone towards a solution step-by-step, it's blatantly rude to jump in and post a full solution. Again, this is specifically mentioned in the guide to posting.

Its how they do things in Harvard and Harvard has led to more prolific scientists and mathematicians as well as many more successful Forbes rich list members. Having attended a summer school seminar on CS50 I know.

They draw up the whole solution and decipher and talk you through it. As you can't do that online then its up to the person on the other end who wants to learn to analyse and break it down.
Original post by AberLAD
Its how they do things in Harvard and Harvard has led to more prolific scientists and mathematicians as well as many more successful Forbes rich list members. Having attended a summer school seminar on CS50 I know.

They draw up the whole solution and decipher and talk you through it. As you can't do that online then its up to the person on the other end who wants to learn to analyse and break it down.

But we are not talking about an undergraduate course ... We are talking about someone who is trying to come to terms with gcse level maths
But we are not talking about an undergraduate course ... We are talking about someone who is trying to come to terms with gcse level maths
As I've said, it's also not how people are taught at Cambridge (undergraduate). Although what he's actually saying seems quite confused anyhow.

In any event, TSR is not a university. If you want someone to demonstrate a solution for you, a school or university is the appropriate place. Not here.
Reply 77
As I've said, it's also not how people are taught at Cambridge (undergraduate). Although what he's actually saying seems quite confused anyhow.

In any event, TSR is not a university. If you want someone to demonstrate a solution for you, a school or university is the appropriate place. Not here.

Fair point, that I accept. However, surely you can accept why in this instance I thought it was okay to just relay the techniques for learning that I have been taught in my present university and on a summer course at one of the top universities in the USA, if not the best. Thats down to discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest