The Student Room Group

My chances of studying Psychology?

Hi guys,

(This is my first post so go easy on me!)

I was just wondering how well you would consider my chances for getting offers for psychology.

I've already sent of my UCAS form and here's the main details.

Choices;
Exeter (A*AA-AAA)
Warwick (AAA)
Lancaster (AAB)
Manchester (ABB - Two sciences)
Bangor (ABB-BBC)

Qualifications - GCSE;
English A*
English Lit A
Maths A
Biology A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
ICT A*
Business Studies A*
French A*
History A*

AS;
Psychology A
Economics A
Biology B
Sociology B
General Studies B
Mathematics C

A2;
General studies B (resitting as got an A in 3 modules)

Predicted grades; AAB excluding Gen.Studs. AAAB including Gen.Studs.

I'd say i also have a solid personal statement and a solid reference, though not excellent/Oxbridge standard.

So overall what Universities do you think may make me an offer as i'm on-edge waiting and waiting for acknowledgments and constantly checking UCAS Track.
Original post by cup

So overall what Universities do you think may make me an offer as i'm on-edge waiting and waiting for acknowledgments and constantly checking UCAS Track.

I personally think you've got a strong academic background there (far better than my academic background prior to my undergraduate degree- I only have Bs, Cs, Ds and Es in my GCSEs and A-E grades at A-level). But competition and entry requirements have definitely increased since 1999/2000 so probably not very helpful to draw comparisions!

It's difficult to tell given level of competition from other applicants and subjectivity on the part of admission tutors. Do you have any relevant voluntary experience? I applied for my undergraduate degree with 8mths worth of voluntary work experience as a pupil support assistant which seemed to help my application.

I don't know much about the undergrad degree courses you're interested in, but if one of them offer you a placement opportunity I would grab it with both hands! :smile: There's so many psychology graduates out there and possessing that all important experience will help you stand out from the crowd.

Best of luck though :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply! Really helpful as I hadn't thought about the idea of a placement before, but obviously it could be a key part in employment ! I do have some mildy relevant voluntary work, I'm just a tad worried as I know my GCSE's are strong but I feel a bit behind with my AS results and getting a C in maths which is a key part of a psychology degree :/
Original post by cup
Thanks for your reply! Really helpful as I hadn't thought about the idea of a placement before, but obviously it could be a key part in employment ! I do have some mildy relevant voluntary work, I'm just a tad worried as I know my GCSE's are strong but I feel a bit behind with my AS results and getting a C in maths which is a key part of a psychology degree :/

I don't think many aspiring psychology undergrad people have A- level Maths anyway- so your form will probably stand out. A C grade at A-level in Maths is still a relatively respectful mark! It's also an AS not a full A-level so if you're taking it to A2 level, then you still have time to improve it.

The maths and stats part are an important part of psychology degrees, but also are skills in critical and evaluative thinking, so try not to worry yourself too much! They will probably focus on your A at Psychology AS level, your personal statement and references........ You also have an A at GCSE Maths which is an added bonus! :smile:

Best of luck with your form :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You're resitting General Studies? :lolwut:
Reply 5
You will be surprised with the amount of Uni's that 'consider' and accept Gen. Studs - Lancaster (which i want to be my firm choice if i get an offer) accepts Gen.Studs for lots of subjects, it used to accept for Psyc but this year it has changed to 'considered'.

I'm also very bitter that in the modules i got AAAB which worked out as a B overall!
Psychology isn't really that competitive on average at undergraduate level, assuming you're meeting the minimum requirements and can string together a half decent statement. Just apply sensibly.

Quick Reply

Latest