The Student Room Group

Should I (year 11) apply to my school’s sixth form?

I have a conditional offer at a sixth form college. I plan to do English Language, English Literature and Media Studies. I’m 100% set on this college, but this was my only application and everyone I know has applied to multiple places including my school’s sixth form (even though most of them don’t plan to go there). My parents say I don’t need to apply to multiple places or a backup option as I already have a conditional offer, but when I know of people applying for 4 different places it makes me question myself. And I don’t know a single person who hasn’t applied/isn’t applying to the school’s sixth form.

I don’t want to go there as the past few years have been horrible and I struggle to maintain attendance due to this. I can’t risk this during arguably the most important years of my education. My school also doesn’t offer English Language. I don’t know what I would even apply for instead as I want to teach English in the future. They offer Art, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Design Technology, Drama, English Literature, French, Geography, Health and Social Care, History, IT, Maths, Media Studies, Music, PE, Physics, Psychology, RE, Sociology, Spanish. I would probably apply for Psychology if I had to pick something else, but I’d need to pick a reserve option as well. Truthfully I don’t want to apply, however that may be a subconscious thought telling me if I apply elsewhere then there’s a chance I will mess up getting a place at my original choice.

TL;DR: Should I apply to my secondary school’s sixth form (even though I’m not going to go there) and what should I pick?
Reply 1
Original post by chrysks
I have a conditional offer at a sixth form college. I plan to do English Language, English Literature and Media Studies. I’m 100% set on this college, but this was my only application and everyone I know has applied to multiple places including my school’s sixth form (even though most of them don’t plan to go there). My parents say I don’t need to apply to multiple places or a backup option as I already have a conditional offer, but when I know of people applying for 4 different places it makes me question myself. And I don’t know a single person who hasn’t applied/isn’t applying to the school’s sixth form.

I don’t want to go there as the past few years have been horrible and I struggle to maintain attendance due to this. I can’t risk this during arguably the most important years of my education. My school also doesn’t offer English Language. I don’t know what I would even apply for instead as I want to teach English in the future. They offer Art, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Design Technology, Drama, English Literature, French, Geography, Health and Social Care, History, IT, Maths, Media Studies, Music, PE, Physics, Psychology, RE, Sociology, Spanish. I would probably apply for Psychology if I had to pick something else, but I’d need to pick a reserve option as well. Truthfully I don’t want to apply, however that may be a subconscious thought telling me if I apply elsewhere then there’s a chance I will mess up getting a place at my original choice.

TL;DR: Should I apply to my secondary school’s sixth form (even though I’m not going to go there) and what should I pick?

If you are 100% confident that you'll make the conditional offer, then you don't need to apply for other sixth forms.
Most people apply to a few so that they increase their chances of getting a place somewhere that they (mostly) like.
Original post by mesub
Original post by chrysks

If you are 100% confident that you'll make the conditional offer, then you don't need to apply for other sixth forms.
Most people apply to a few so that they increase their chances of getting a place somewhere that they (mostly) like.

Thank you. I guess I’m just paranoid by other people I know making multiple applications.
Reply 3
Original post by chrysks

Tbh applying to your schools sixth form should be fairly easy so why not do it.English lit is also an obvious choice for a budding English teacher.Go onto some uni websites and see what they are asking for in terms of subjects then work backwards from there.I would also apply to a different back up choice especially if you hate your school.Otherwise if things do go wrong you will end up with little control over where you go.
Original post by Scotney
Original post by chrysks

Tbh applying to your schools sixth form should be fairly easy so why not do it.English lit is also an obvious choice for a budding English teacher.Go onto some uni websites and see what they are asking for in terms of subjects then work backwards from there.I would also apply to a different back up choice especially if you hate your school.Otherwise if things do go wrong you will end up with little control over where you go.

At the weekend I ended up applying to my school’s sixth form as someone I know said it would be best to have a backup, but I forgot to do an update on here to say I had 🤦*♀️
I picked English Literature, Media Studies and Psychology with Sociology as a reserve option. Chances are that I won’t go there anyway, so this is just a safety net.
Original post by chrysks
Original post by Scotney
Original post by chrysks

At the weekend I ended up applying to my school’s sixth form as someone I know said it would be best to have a backup, but I forgot to do an update on here to say I had 🤦*♀️
I picked English Literature, Media Studies and Psychology with Sociology as a reserve option. Chances are that I won’t go there anyway, so this is just a safety net.

Not now just realising my emoji didn’t work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending