The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Applying to Psychology/PBS at Cambridge, LSE and UCL

Hi everyone,
I am looking for anyone who has been made an offer for Psychology/PBS at Cambridge, LSE and UCL.
I take A Levels in English Lit, Psychology, Philosophy, an AS in Law and EPQ.
I know UCL and Cambridge prefer you to have 2+ Science subjects so am interested if anyone got accepted with just 1, I achieved a 98 in GCSE combined science.
Any responses would be great. Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi! I'm a second-year student studying Psych and Lang Sci at UCL, so I might be helpful regarding this matter. :smile: I took A-levels in Math, Bio and Psych, with an EPQ and AS in Music (A*A*A* + A* in EPQ).
To answer your question, it's indeed possible to receive an offer from these unis according to their entrance requirements:

Spoiler

Theoretically, your subject combo is acceptable for UCL and LSE, with excellent GCSE science grades you should be able to achieve the requirement set by Cambridge as well. However, bluntly speaking, I'm afraid your application would not be as competitive as other applicants, due to the inadequacy of science/math subjects. In my cohort, there are only two psych students who did not study any of the sciences or math (note that psychology is not regarded as a "proper" science). Hence, your chances at UCL are probably quite slim tbh. I can't speak for LSE, but I guess your application wouldn't be that competitive as well.

Still, don't give up! Try to enrol in psychology courses at Coursera or edX, and read more psychology books (highly recommend Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kahneman). That would make your application drastically better. Best of luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm a second-year student studying Psych and Lang Sci at UCL, so I might be helpful regarding this matter. :smile: I took A-levels in Math, Bio and Psych, with an EPQ and AS in Music (A*A*A* + A* in EPQ).
To answer your question, it's indeed possible to receive an offer from these unis according to their entrance requirements:

Spoiler

Theoretically, your subject combo is acceptable for UCL and LSE, with excellent GCSE science grades you should be able to achieve the requirement set by Cambridge as well. However, bluntly speaking, I'm afraid your application would not be as competitive as other applicants, due to the inadequacy of science/math subjects. In my cohort, there are only two psych students who did not study any of the sciences or math (note that psychology is not regarded as a "proper" science). Hence, your chances at UCL are probably quite slim tbh. I can't speak for LSE, but I guess your application wouldn't be that competitive as well.

Still, don't give up! Try to enrol in psychology courses at Coursera or edX, and read more psychology books (highly recommend Thinking, Fast and Slow by Kahneman). That would make your application drastically better. Best of luck!

Hi, I want to study the same course as you for uni however i do Chemistry, Film Studies and English Li +EPQ - do you think this subject combo would get me in for your course at UCL :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I want to study the same course as you for uni however i do Chemistry, Film Studies and English Li +EPQ - do you think this subject combo would get me in for your course at UCL :smile:

So happy to see someone with the same aspiration! :biggrin: Your combination satisfies the entry requirements of UCL as you have Chemistry as a science. Still, bear in mind that psychology at UCL is competitive - there's no ideal A-level combination that can guarantee an offer. Work on your grades & personal statement - you'll then have a solid chance to receive an interview or even an offer! :smile:

P.S. Do note that your personal statement should not be a straight-psychology one - you have to explain why you enjoy language arts/linguistics as well! (for example, I registered my interest in psycholinguistics at my ps by writing about my experience as an assistant in speech & language therapy sessions targeting psychiatric patients at a local hospital!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending