The Student Room Group

Computer science

4 weeks in to course and finding it hard to understand especially computer archtecture>>..what can i do?
Reply 1
Original post by EMMOH55
4 weeks in to course and finding it hard to understand especially computer archtecture>>..what can i do?

The sooner you learn to ask questions and go to office hours, the easier getting through uni is. I personally find that lectures are often based on one particular textbook, and picking up the course text helps a lot if you're not taking the best notes.

"Computer Organization and Design" by Patterson and Hennessy is probably more than enough for a first year course, but "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" covers things in more depth and might last you longer (but don't buy these books -- there'll be copies in your library!)

Feel free to post about anything you're having particular trouble understanding.
Reply 2
Original post by EMMOH55

If you’re finding the module or course difficult there are tutors that can help you, just google computer science tutor.
Reply 3
Original post by mailmerge
The sooner you learn to ask questions and go to office hours, the easier getting through uni is. I personally find that lectures are often based on one particular textbook, and picking up the course text helps a lot if you're not taking the best notes.

"Computer Organization and Design" by Patterson and Hennessy is probably more than enough for a first year course, but "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" covers things in more depth and might last you longer (but don't buy these books -- there'll be copies in your library!)

Feel free to post about anything you're having particular trouble understanding.

what am finding difficult is the binary calculation, how do you work it out especially when putting symbols together to build a circuit
Reply 4
Original post by EMMOH55
what am finding difficult is the binary calculation, how do you work it out especially when putting symbols together to build a circuit

Right - that's not really computer architectures, but this boolean logic stuff is kind of fundamental. I don't think there's any real trick to it. I still find it easiest just to draw lots of tables and write everything down (even the characteristic tables). Hopefully it's not something that's hard for you, just something that you need to get into the habit of and practice.
Reply 5
I am studying computer science and am in the first year, I am not very good at programming, should you I carry on to second year; I enjoy designing WebPages should I move to multimedia internet technology???
Reply 6
Original post by EMMOH55
I am studying computer science and am in the first year, I am not very good at programming, should you I carry on to second year; I enjoy designing WebPages should I move to multimedia internet technology???

Programming is something that you need to put a lot of practice into, rather than just something you're good at -- don't be discouraged if people are getting things more quickly. All dynamic webpages need programming behind them, though -- it's not something you could really avoid in either degree.

Talk to someone within your uni -- lecturers are so willing to help you and will give you much more relevant advice than I can.
Reply 7
Original post by mailmerge
I personally find that lectures are often based on one particular textbook, and picking up the course text helps a lot if you're not taking the best notes.

I used to believe this as well. Once I studied CS in a different uni, which based their syllabus with their research, I started not to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending