The Student Room Group

Not choosing GCSE computer science

So I started igcses in year 9, and for some reason I chose French instead of Computer Science. Back then I didn't realise the importance of technology, and now I regret picking french as I'm already trying to do two other languages anyway.
I'm too far in to the courses to switch subjects, but I could study the computer science course in my spare time. This would take a lot of effort, and I'm unsure if it'd be worth it.
How important really is computer science at GCSE level, and could I get away just fine without it? I know lots of jobs in the field of science involve the usage of technology, so would computer science GCSE help with that at all, and am I missing out if I don't do computer science GCSE?
I don't want to become a programmer, but I enjoy science and know that technology is commonly used in jobs in science.
Reply 1
Original post by tinnohall
So I started igcses in year 9, and for some reason I chose French instead of Computer Science. Back then I didn't realise the importance of technology, and now I regret picking french as I'm already trying to do two other languages anyway.
I'm too far in to the courses to switch subjects, but I could study the computer science course in my spare time. This would take a lot of effort, and I'm unsure if it'd be worth it.
How important really is computer science at GCSE level, and could I get away just fine without it? I know lots of jobs in the field of science involve the usage of technology, so would computer science GCSE help with that at all, and am I missing out if I don't do computer science GCSE?
I don't want to become a programmer, but I enjoy science and know that technology is commonly used in jobs in science.

As someone who is currently applying to study computer science at university, I found that GCSE computer science was not particularly important. Most universities do not require computer science as a GCSE or an A-level (even to study computer science). Furthermore, my school allowed people to take A-level computer science without the GCSE as the A-level computer science course is not particularly maths heavy (more focussed on theory and coding). I'd say that if you are not planning on studying computer science later on, then its absolutely fine if you don't do the GCSE. Most universities would only expect basic technological literacy.
Reply 2
Original post by MehulChourasia
Original post by tinnohall

As someone who is currently applying to study computer science at university, I found that GCSE computer science was not particularly important. Most universities do not require computer science as a GCSE or an A-level (even to study computer science). Furthermore, my school allowed people to take A-level computer science without the GCSE as the A-level computer science course is not particularly maths heavy (more focussed on theory and coding). I'd say that if you are not planning on studying computer science later on, then its absolutely fine if you don't do the GCSE. Most universities would only expect basic technological literacy.

Thank you so much! I feel so much better now haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending