The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology exams (6BIO4) 25th January 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moizedexcel
lipid droplets ......they come and go ........how can they be STRUCTURES ....!! :tongue:

Okay, then how about the 70s ribosomes?
Reply 381
Original post by scoutzawwar
the questions on it are so messed up, :grumble:

giving 2 units in one go must be a pain :stupid:

oh yes it is :albertein: soooo much to learn
Reply 382
okay so in the result plus of the first ever unit 4...and at the end a standardized mark conversion scheme is given....so this means that there isnt any threshold?.....because i checked the grade boundaries for june 2011 and all the marks are the same ........ i think we have to get 96/120 to get an A in this unit...that is 59/90 :confused:
Original post by aym3n
okay so in the result plus of the first ever unit 4...and at the end a standardized mark conversion scheme is given....so this means that there isnt any threshold?.....because i checked the grade boundaries for june 2011 and all the marks are the same ........ i think we have to get 96/120 to get an A in this unit...that is 59/90 :confused:

Have this constant worry about not able to reach the boundary :frown:
Reply 384
Original post by leogirl1992
Have this constant worry about not able to reach the boundary :frown:

agreed :frown:
Original post by scoutzawwar
If you are referring to the B cells, then they produce and inject the anti bodies themselves

i said SECONDARY response .....when the memory cells are made (of b cells) .....do THEY produce antibodies or differentiate into plasma cells which then produce antibodies ....
Original post by leogirl1992
Okay, then how about the 70s ribosomes?

yeah they r structures but probably not involved in photosynthesis ! so basically its only grana (thylakoid) structure thats involved in photosynthesis !:biggrin:
yeah they r structures but probably not involved in photosynthesis ! so basically its only grana (thylakoid) structure thats involved in photosynthesis !:biggrin:

Oh , now that you say so, I got it . Thanks :smile:
Reply 388
can someone explain me gram staining?
Original post by aym3n

It's just another technique used for identifying the type of bacteria (besides the physical appearance, its toxicity + whether its aerobic or anaerobic.

The bacteria are stained - with two results;

Gram-positive bacteria - thick layer of peptidoglycan, which means a more teichoic acid - the acid binds to the crystal violet in the stain and the bacteria will appear blue/purple under a light microscope.

Gram-negative bacteria - thin layer of peptiglycan, which means no teichoic acid. The crystal violet in the stain is readily decolourised and replaced with red safarine, so the cells appears red under a light microscope.

^ Not sure what type of question they'll ask about gram-staining, it'll probably be a graph + explain trend question, or just to list different ways of classifying bacteria - hope this helps though.
Reply 390
Original post by SLlewellyn
It's just another technique used for identifying the type of bacteria (besides the physical appearance, its toxicity + whether its aerobic or anaerobic.

The bacteria are stained - with two results;

Gram-positive bacteria - thick layer of peptidoglycan, which means a more teichoic acid - the acid binds to the crystal violet in the stain and the bacteria will appear blue/purple under a light microscope.

Gram-negative bacteria - thin layer of peptiglycan, which means no teichoic acid. The crystal violet in the stain is readily decolourised and replaced with red safarine, so the cells appears red under a light microscope.

^ Not sure what type of question they'll ask about gram-staining, it'll probably be a graph + explain trend question, or just to list different ways of classifying bacteria - hope this helps though.

oh yes it did...thanks alot.... :smile:..u made it alot easier for me :smile:
Original post by aym3n
oh yes it did...thanks alot.... :smile:..u made it alot easier for me :smile:

aimen !!!!! did u do past paperss !!! there was a question regarding rigor mrotis whose answer was drugs in body !!! i mean waaaa....??!!?!?
Reply 392
aimen !!!!! did u do past paperss !!! there was a question regarding rigor mrotis whose answer was drugs in body !!! i mean waaaa....??!!?!?

nahi i didnt do them yet.....unit 5 wants alll the attention to it :tongue:...lawl..which paper is it...ill check :tongue:
Reply 393
Any tips for this exam? :/
Original post by d_94
Any tips for this exam? :/

I'd say learn the mark schemes - knowing the material is only 40% of this exam - the rest if all recalling AS material / reading and interpreting graphs and basically answering exactly how the mark schemes wants you to.
Original post by aym3n

:lolwut:

Please tell me that isn't in unit 4? :puppyeyes:
Reply 396
Original post by SLlewellyn
I'd say learn the mark schemes - knowing the material is only 40% of this exam - the rest if all recalling AS material / reading and interpreting graphs and basically answering exactly how the mark schemes wants you to.

Thank yoou soo much. (:
Reply 397
Original post by This Honest

Are you doing SNAB (orange book) or green book?

I think what all these guys are saying is in the green book, because there is a context and concept led approach for the same exam. That means some of the stuff they are learning may be extra. Not sure though.
Reply 398
Original post by This Honest

i believe it is :colondollar:...its about identifying the type of bacteria...its a test :tongue:
Reply 399
Original post by *_*
Are you doing SNAB (orange book) or green book?

I think what all these guys are saying is in the green book, because there is a context and concept led approach for the same exam. That means some of the stuff they are learning may be extra. Not sure though.

well yes it isnt mentioned in the specification about it...but nevertheless its best to learn it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending