The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology exams (6BIO4) 25th January 2012 exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Dreamweaver

Anyone know a site where i can find 2008/2009 papers? Tried Edexcel but they don't have them.

that's because there are ony the Jan 10, 11 & Jun 10, 11 papers for our spec :frown: annoying right?
Reply 781
Original post by SLlewellyn

The T-Helpers are only activated once then come into contact with antigens presented by a macrophage. Without the macrophage (as an APC), the T-helper cell couldn't produce a specific type of antibodies (by undergoing the effector response).

Does that clear things up? It's easier to think of it in my head, than get it down in words.

yes, thank you!
Original post by Jasmine_777

Original post by Jasmine_777
Macrophages in the specific response are also involved in the differentiation of T helper cells and B cells, right?

No that is caused by cytokines. It is the macrophages that start the whole process. T helper cells is differentiated by the CD4 receptor and the B cells is also differentiated by cytokines, but this time it is the T helper cell.

Think of it as CAUSE (MARCROPHAGES) leads to EFFECTS (DIFFERENTIATION)
Reply 783
I remember you from the summer 2011 bio thread(s) :wavey: How did your results go?

Oh hiii! :biggrin:
I did pretty well last year got AAB, and one of the A's was for Bio which I was quite surprised about :smile: Although I feel this year may be my downfall :frown: how did you get on last year?
Original post by wam-bam
that's because there are ony the Jan 10, 11 & Jun 10, 11 papers for our spec :frown: annoying right?

I seem to remember doing 08/09 papers last year for AS. Maybe they were the old ones. Eh :/ There goes my revision plan for tonight.
Reply 785

Original post by avataraang

difference between accuracy and precision and reliability?? :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Shippy
Oh hiii! :biggrin:
I did pretty well last year got AAB, and one of the A's was for Bio which I was quite surprised about :smile: Although I feel this year may be my downfall :frown: how did you get on last year?

Very nice, glad to hear :smile: Biology really surprised me last year. I got 120 UMS (max i think) in one paper and really low in the other so i just scrapped an A with a 83% average. Funny thing is i thought i did badly on the one i got 120 in and worse on the other one. That's Edexcel for you :s

Dw about this paper. Get a good nights rest, make sure you read the questions carefully and answer them logically. Should be cake.
Reply 787

I seem to remember doing 08/09 papers last year for AS. Maybe they were the old ones. Eh :/ There goes my revision plan for tonight.

yeah, this specifications first paper for AS was in Jan 09 but the first A2 paper was in 10.

Some one posted this earlier, i haven't had time to use it but you might find something relevant (e.g photosynthesis Q's on the old spec are really good)

http://www.deberker.com/deberker/Bio_Past_Papers_&_Markschemes_files/
Quick Q about restriction enzymes ...
'they cut DNA sample intro fragments only where the specific restriction sequence occurs' what does restriction sequence here mean... as in the start and end of an STR?
How do you work out GPP???

For dummies :tongue:
Reply 790
Original post by rudizzy123

Original post by rudizzy123
How do you work out GPP???

For dummies :tongue:

NPP + Plant respiration

GPP = rate @ which energy is incorporated into plants
NPP = amount of stored chemical energy which is available for growth
just done the jan 2011 paper 61/90 58 was an A* :smile: This exam might go ok, I hope.
Original post by .snowflake.
just done the jan 2011 paper 61/90 58 was an A* :smile: This exam might go ok, I hope.

did june 2011 got 57/90 just got an A, hope i get that in the real thing lol!
Original post by avataraang
Ok I will give this a shot

In non-specific immunity, macrophages perform phagocytosis as the antigens on the pathogen are recognised as 'non-self'. Macrophages engulf pathogens, forming a phagocytic vacuole, which is then digested by lysozymes. This normally occurs during inflammation and is non-specific to the antigens.

In the specific immune response, the macrophages perform phagocytosis and then present the antigens of the pathogen to become an antigen-presenting cell (APC). This then binds to a complementary CD4 receptor and releases cytokines to produce T helper and T memory cells that then stimulate clonal selection and produce antibodies specific to the antigen.

Damn... my finger hurt :tongue:

what book do you use to revise from, the official revisions guide misses out some of this information. And any revision techniques.
Reply 794
Original post by Tan Theta

what book do you use to revise from, the official revisions guide misses out some of this information. And any revision techniques.

i posted this earlier on this page there's a really good pdf with every point of the specification explained, and core practicals to remember are on the next page

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1819039&page=25

hope that helps!
Original post by wam-bam
i posted this earlier on this page there's a really good pdf with every point of the specification explained, and core practicals to remember are on the next page

hope that helps!

Thanks! I've had that pdf from before, but it still misses out some bits such as the role of macrophages in non-specific responses in detail. Is there anything else you use to extract information such as the text book/ cgp revision guide?
Original post by NoFunnyBusiness
Your video (Gun and porK) always brings me entertainment when I'm on TSR! much love man!

:colone:
No problem :smile:
800th post :woo:
Reply 798
Original post by wam-bam

hope that helps!

amazing notes... thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 799

Thanks! I've had that pdf from before, but it still misses out some bits such as the role of macrophages in non-specific responses in detail. Is there anything else you use to extract information such as the text book/ cgp revision guide?

pg 39 of this thread (there's a excellent explanation of the role of macrophages in specific and non-specific responses)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending