The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeelyBopper
nope thats right :smile:

we don't actually need to know it for this exam but you'd probably get marks for it if its a question like 'name a hormone' and you somehow forget adrenaline (:confused:)

Noradrenaline is a neurotransmitter not a hormone. ;]
Reply 981
Original post by The Illuminati

Original post by The Illuminati
+40mV for threshold value

-50mV for threshold vlaue
actio potential is at +40mV
Reply 982
Can anyone confirm my knowledge of respiratory acidosis?
Is it the high concentration of CO2 in the blood lowering the pH of the blood (CO2+H20 --> H2CO3 <==> H+ HCO3-)
Detected by chemoreceptors in the cardiovascular center of the brain in the Medulla Oblongata. Medulla oblongata sends an action potential down to the heart via the accelerator (sympathetic) nerve which raises the heart rate, to try eliminate the CO2. Can result in even more CO2 accumulating hence more carbonic acid, which stops the heart functioning (heart attack).
What is the role of the Kidneys in osmoregulation?
Original post by Messara2
how do you know whether do divide by 24 or by 60?

Divide by the first number :smile:
Original post by Chris P Chicken.

It's also a hormone. Like adrenalin acts as a hormone and a neurotransmitter.
Original post by VQG
Can anyone confirm my knowledge of respiratory acidosis?
Is it the high concentration of CO2 in the blood lowering the pH of the blood (CO2+H20 --> H2CO3 <==> H+ HCO3-)
Detected by chemoreceptors in the cardiovascular center of the brain in the Medulla Oblongata. Medulla oblongata sends an action potential down to the heart via the accelerator (sympathetic) nerve which raises the heart rate, to try eliminate the CO2. Can result in even more CO2 accumulating hence more carbonic acid, which stops the heart functioning (heart attack).

Your right but you need to know that it's not actually the CO2 that's causing the respiratory acidosis, the CO2 first forms carbonic acid, this then dissociates into H+ ions like you mentioned in the formula, this increases the pH which have an effect on enzymes (may cause muscle fatigue) tiredness, etc
Hey can anyone help me?

How would I answer a qauestion on the evidence for chemiosmosis?

thanks

its both :smile:
Original post by faz_341
-50mV for threshold vlaue
actio potential is at +40mV

:colondollar: that's what i meant.
Original post by thestudentroo
for i) 125X24X60 = 180 000
ii) 180 000 -1500 = 178500
178500/ 180 000 = 99.12%

Got it the second time when i read the question properly :smile: :colondollar:
Reply 991
In endotherms, body heat is maintained by signaling the mitochondria to allow protons to run back along the gradient without producing ATP.[citation needed] This can occur since an alternative return route for the protons exists through an uncoupling protein in the inner membrane. This protein, known as uncoupling protein 1 (thermogenin), facilitates the return of the protons after they have been actively pumped out of the mitochondria by the electron transport chain.

Suggest why this uncoupling process is so important in the brown fat of humans
oh wow just realised this thread is going to reach 1000 posts :biggrin:
we are dedicated to biology!!
Reply 993
Osmosis is correct :biggrin:

Ok damn, my mind is going mad.

Thanks for telling me its osmosis.

Although, I would've end up writing Osmoregulation in the exam!
Reply 994
I know there are cells lining the Proximal convoluted tubule, but is the actual tubule itself made up of cells or is it just a space?
Studying facilitated diffusion in the nephron always makes me need the loo....
Original post by Dan12
In endotherms, body heat is maintained by signaling the mitochondria to allow protons to run back along the gradient without producing ATP.[citation needed] This can occur since an alternative return route for the protons exists through an uncoupling protein in the inner membrane. This protein, known as uncoupling protein 1 (thermogenin), facilitates the return of the protons after they have been actively pumped out of the mitochondria by the electron transport chain.

Suggest why this uncoupling process is so important in the brown fat of humans

Lol, what is brown fat?

And is this from a paper or stretch and challenge question?
#1000 :biggrin:
evidence for chemiosmosis anyone?!
Original post by xRainbowx
I know there are cells lining the Proximal convoluted tubule, but is the actual tubule itself made up of cells or is it just a space?

Cells. Epithelial, I think. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending