The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
S1M
if you were refering to me... I was just stating that the course that he (and me) applied for seems to be better in most respects IMO than maths and eco at LSE. Ruputation wise LSE obviously wins... but I was stating that the maths at LSE is not as good as maths at warwick. Mine (and possibly his) greater interest is in maths rather than eco so warwick seem better in that course compared to LSE's nearest offering... if i wanted to go into actuarial field, which is a high possiblility for me a degree in morse at warwick would be much better and would give me exemptions from the acturial institute exams unlike maths and eco at lse... exemptions from some types of professional accountancy exams (eg CIMA) are also possible through morse at warwick... hence my reason for suggesting warwick to him over lse

oh yeh and warwick has higher grade requirements (warwick: AAA with A in maths or AAB with A in maths & A in further maths... LSE:ABB)... which should say something about ease of entry... well actually this doesnt mean much as not as many people apply to morse at warwick compared to maths and eco at lse...

From my p.o.v, the course at warwick is VERY optional, and looking at the options, and at the course at LSE, I found that the options I would have chosen would have been similar the course at LSE (if that makes sense ?! :smile:) So the course wasn't really a factor.

I was thinking about the grade requirements also, but maths and eco at LSE is more than 10 applications to 1 place; I think the lower grade requirements are simply to make sure the people theyve selected actually come to LSE. But again, thats just my opinion.

And career wise I was looking at actuarial aswell, but I figured that even if I miss out on exam exemptions, the reputation at LSE would still give me good opportunities career wise, though investment banking is still the most appealing to me.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
olive
hey s1m! not long to go now

yup shouldn't be too long...

you heard from them yet??? I got a letter the saturday after saying: "thank you for coming"... did you recieve that too?
Reply 42
indeed i did...thought it was gonna be a offer/rejection letter but alas! shoulda known better.
Reply 43
lol
same here i nearly crapped myself when it came coz I thought it was a rejection... because it was only 1 sheet of paper in an envelope... and offers should have a bit more information with it eg about accomndation... well i think offers should... but i wouldn't know as I don't have any yet :frown:
Reply 44
S1M
but i wouldn't know as I don't have any yet :frown:

lol dont worry, i dont either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we'll get thru this
Reply 45
oh no, just got a letter from UCL asking for an interview. you had yours yet?
Reply 46
hi olive congrats about ur interview...

yeh I have had mine applied for plain bsc maths... its not too hard really, thought the interview at imperial was easier though (more or less just maths questions)...

I got a letter today too!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my 1st offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm soo happy!!!

Plain Maths at Imperial College: ABBb
A in maths, B in AS further maths and BB for physics/economics they didnt even ask for any grade in my chemistry AS :smile: which i gotta a B already

I'm sooooo pleased with that...

Well anyway about UCL,

I was asked
Why I like maths
Why I like UCL
and then SH1T loads of stuff from my personal statement... literally went through it line by line

other ppl who had their interview at the same time was asked to choose any aspect of maths and explain something about it (can't remember what that something was... might be how it relates to the real world or sumthing) Each interviewer would ask different questions so dont 100% expect this to come up...

Then he asked me if I had any questions, which I did and I advise you to go prepared with questions in your mind...

Ask about switching to masters and about options in that course and about grade requirements if you do anything extra (like my self tought AS further maths)... Also about accomendation or watever else... just dont say "no" when ihe asks you if you have any questions...

I still haven't heard if I have an offer in it, although they told me they will respond within 2 weeks... been 3 weeks and heard nothing yet...
Well I don't mind too much about UCL offer now coz I got imperial and the grades for imperial are lower than the standard offer!!!
But I still want to do MORSE at warwick...

Well good luck in your interview

Just outta interest... when is it? what course did you apply to do?
Reply 47
damn sim thanks for that! well done for your offer!

i applied to do maths n eco. its funny cuz im on my year out and i havent done any maths since last june, so im very rusty. will have to get my old books out!

were the q's hard? is it pure maths?
Reply 48
YESSSS!!!! I got my MORSE offer just now... on the ucas website!!!

I'm soooo pleased!!!

I need AAA or AAB and A in further maths AS

Got imperial ABBb as backup... but no other offers... but I think I am sorted... U heard from warwick yet?

Maths and eco you will need AAA what did you get?... I applied plain maths... i got easy p3 differentiation questions... chain rule... i would reccomend you relearn P1-P3... because you have your yr out they might ask you more stuff to check you havent gone rusty (this is my assumption)

Well it depends on your interviewer... coz you hav finished your course you will get harder questions... i suspect... P3 intergration possibly involving dodgy trignometry thingys added at different powers or sumthing...

also expect some economics questions... maybe some recent topical stuff... like 10 new countries joining the EU...

saying that... my questions (all two of them) were piss easy... its possible and likely that you will be able to answer the questions without revision... but its best not to take the chance... i didnt... its when they battered me on my personal statement, i screwed up... anyway i dont give a sh1t about ucl coz i got imperial and warwick!!!!!

GOOD LUCK... let us know how you got on...
Reply 49
lol s1m well done, you seem real happy!

i heard from warwick but it was an email from the admissions person saying she needed an extra reference cuz ive take a year out. its kinda annoying cuz i wanna knoww!!!

by the way, i didnt even take economics a level. so if they ask me economics q's i am screwed!

im definitely gonna have to revise maths cus its been a good 9 months and its amazing how little i remember...i dont wanna touch p3 again!! eww
Reply 50
olive
lol s1m well done, you seem real happy!

i heard from warwick but it was an email from the admissions person saying she needed an extra reference cuz ive take a year out. its kinda annoying cuz i wanna knoww!!!

by the way, i didnt even take economics a level. so if they ask me economics q's i am screwed!

im definitely gonna have to revise maths cus its been a good 9 months and its amazing how little i remember...i dont wanna touch p3 again!! eww

they won't ask you any economics questions if you havent done it... but it might be good to read a bit of economics stuff to show proper interest... i would suspect that they will ask you why you want to do eco if you have not done it at A level... and why not just plain maths as you havent done economics a level... not too hard really... just say that they are related disciplines that when combined are an useful tool in the financial labour market or something along those lines... also say why you like economics too if relevent...

definately learn P3 differentiation and intergration... its a math's interviewer's favourite topic from what i have seen!!!
Reply 51
Hi olive...

so how did your ucl interview go?
you heard from warwick about MORSE yet?

I got an ABB offer from LSE for maths and eco but I don't think ill be going there... well it depends actually what do you think is a better insurance:
MSci Maths @ Imperial ABBb
BSc Maths and Eco @ LSE ABB

Latest