The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Wave
Knew I would see this. I argued with some other members the other day that the vast majority of people doing biomed are just doing it to get into medicine/dentistry or at the very least would of preferred medicine/dentistry but could't cut it. But medicine rejects just won't admit this.

And how does this information help/advise the OP. :rolleyes:
Original post by Wave
Knew I would see this. I argued with some other members the other day that the vast majority of people doing biomed are just doing it to get into medicine/dentistry or at the very least would of preferred medicine/dentistry but could't cut it. But medicine rejects just won't admit this.

Thank you for the lovely compliment of being a medicine reject! That has just made my day!
Reply 302
Original post by Awesome_Sauce
Yeah I understand that. I know I can go into research, I have kept that option open! :smile: I mean I'm going to do biomed at kings, which is a really good uni.

Is there anyway you can apply to the normal five year course instead of the accelerated four year course?

Yeah a graduate can apply to the 5 year course. But you have to look at the funding, how will you fund it?
Yeah I understand that. I know I can go into research, I have kept that option open! :smile: I mean I'm going to do biomed at kings, which is a really good uni.

Is there anyway you can apply to the normal five year course instead of the accelerated four year course?

I'm not sure, but I think if you have a university degree, you cant reapply for undergrad.

King's is good for biomed so good job. I think you should just attend King's instead of reapplying. If you have applied twice and didn't receive an offer, then there must be a flaw somewhere that's withholding you. Anyway, if you get good scores in biomed and do well in the UKCAT, you may even get into King's grad entry if you have good connections with staff there.
Reply 304
The second time I've applied.

GCSE: 1a* 9a

A level: 3a in bio, chem and physics

2 weeks work experience in a hospital

2 weeks volunteering at a hospice

6 months helping to teach kids French at the Europa centre.

UKCAT: 640

I has my ps checked by teachers and they said it was okay.

Genuinely don't know where I'm going wrong! I haven't even been given an interview!

To be honest I don't want to wait another year!

I think this year very few people with less than 5A* at GCSE will get an offer. If you follow the threads it seems that the likes of Cardiff and Nottingham are barely interviewing applicants with that number or less. Sad but true the quantity of GCSE A* counts massively.
What do you suggest I do? Is there anyway I can apply to the five year course again after doing my degree?

I just don't want to go another year and apply just to get rejected again! I've just lost all my confidence. I genuinely don't know what to do!
I'm open to suggestions. :smile:

Can I just say, from the two biomed graduates in my work group at med school, they don't seem to know anything more than us undergrads. I don't think doing biomed really improves your success at med school.
Moreover, grad entry is more challenging, but getting into med school after 2 gap years is very difficult too. Perhaps consider a change in career direction, do biomed and become a really cool researcher? :cool:
Reply 306
Original post by m3scrumpy
I think this year very few people with less than 5A* at GCSE will get an offer. If you follow the threads it seems that the likes of Cardiff and Nottingham are barely interviewing applicants with that number or less. Sad but true the quantity of GCSE A* counts massively.

Well the first sentence is bull****. It depends on which universities you apply some care less about GCSEs.
Reply 307
Hi

I'm on a gap year. I've gotten my biomed offer, but seriously I feel like such a failure right now. Literally every single person I talk to says its really unlikely that I'll get into graduate medicine. For the past two years I've been optimistic and positive. What for? To get rejected everywhere!

Just need a little a bit of advise on what to do and my chances on graduate medicine and what I need to do to increase my chances of getting in.

Were you rejected pre interview or post interview?
Original post by Wave

Well I graduated from UCL's Biomed course and I remember the first thing my mentor asked (in a group of 8 of us) was whether we were med rejects. All but 1 of us put up our hands. :colondollar:

Many of the year decided they liked Biomed and would be satisfied to do a Masters and beyond and less went on to do grad Med than was expected.

Nothing wrong with being a med reject. :wink:
Original post by stroppyninja
Can I just say, from the two biomed graduates in my work group at med school, they don't seem to know anything more than us undergrads. I don't think doing biomed really improves your success at med school.
Moreover, grad entry is more challenging, but getting into med school after 2 gap years is very difficult too. Perhaps consider a change in career direction, do biomed and become a really cool researcher? :cool:

Thanks for your input. Its really hard to just suddenly just change you career all of a sudden, especially if you've been wanting this for a really long time ( a bit cliche, I know). I just can't really imagine myself as anything but a doctor. I guess I have to just keep it in mind that it's really hard!
Reply 310
Original post by Besakt
Well the first sentence is bull****. It depends on which universities you apply some care less about GCSEs.

I haven`t seen anyone with 1 A* GCSE get an interview let alone an offer on any thread. Be really interested to know where people have.
Reply 311

UKCAT: 640

Some universities have cut off points, which ones did you apply to?

Graduates have no obligation to apply to graduate medicine courses, but still need good a levels and at least a 2:1 :smile: Note, though that if you apply to a 5 year course at a university which also offers the grad scheme, questions may be raised about why you haven't applied for graduate entry.
Original post by Dave11
Some universities have cut off points, which ones did you apply to?

Liverpool, Brighton and Sussex, st Andrews and Cardiff :smile:

I was always under the impression that BSMS and St Andrews had quite a low cut off.
Hi

I'm on a gap year. I've gotten my biomed offer, but seriously I feel like such a failure right now. Literally every single person I talk to says its really unlikely that I'll get into graduate medicine. For the past two years I've been optimistic and positive. What for? To get rejected everywhere!

Just need a little a bit of advise on what to do and my chances on graduate medicine and what I need to do to increase my chances of getting in.

I just read you post and although I applied for veterinary medicine, its so damn hard to get into as well.... on top of grades you have to have so much work experience. I applied two times and got no offers whatsoever, only interviews and I just wanted to give up last year.... i had offers for biovet but I just thought that I would give it one more shot as I am still very young. So I reapplied once again this year and finally got my offer, good things come to those who wait so just give it another shot.. show them you wont give up :smile:
Original post by popsiclee67
Graduates have no obligation to apply to graduate medicine courses, but still need good a levels and at least a 2:1 :smile: Note, though that if you apply to a 5 year course at a university which also offers the grad scheme, questions may be raised about why you haven't applied for graduate entry.

Thank you for your reply! :smile:
Is it easier to get in to the five year course?
Original post by Irishguy2K10
I just read you post and although I applied for veterinary medicine, its so damn hard to get into as well.... on top of grades you have to have so much work experience. I applied two times and got no offers whatsoever, only interviews and I just wanted to give up last year.... i had offers for biovet but I just thought that I would give it one more shot as I am still very young. So I reapplied once again this year and finally got my offer, good things come to those who wait so just give it another shot.. show them you wont give up :smile:

I hand a while to decide what I want to do. I guess I just have to make sure it's the right one and not jump into things I guess.
Original post by Besakt
Were you rejected pre interview or post interview?

Pre interview. I've never had an interview when I've applied! :smile:
Reply 318
Original post by m3scrumpy
I haven`t seen anyone with 1 A* GCSE get an interview let alone an offer on any thread. Be really interested to know where people have.

I had 1A* 3A's 2B's 6C's
Reply 319
Thank you for your reply! :smile:
Is it easier to get in to the five year course?

No it's just as hard.. I'm applying to all 5-year courses this year and most only offer 10-20% of their places to grads so that can figure out to be ~15-30 grads in each year group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending