The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by GuiltyPleasures
I have an interview on weds for a confectioner @ sainsburys....can anyone tell me exactly what this job role involves doing? Or any tips for the interview. Thanks guys, I cant find much info for the job role when i google it....

The site says this:

Everyone deserves to treat themselves and treats don’t come any better than the irresistible, mouthwatering range of confectionery products on our bakery counters. You’ll be producing, finishing, wrapping, pricing and promoting a range of ambient and chilled products to keep sales high, while actively responding to customer feedback. Maintaining high standards of hygiene will also be an important part of the job. Ideally, you will have previous experience of producing confectionery, knowledge of merchandising and an appreciation of food safety.

There's a page here about it: http://sainsburys.jobs/in-store/role-details/confectioner
Reply 241
We get paid on 30th December. When is the cut off point for that? Is it 23rd December?
Reply 242
Original post by Joshilini
We get paid on 30th December. When is the cut off point for that? Is it 23rd December?

24th :smile:
Reply 243
Going back tomorrow. Used to work there for about 2 years, back tomorrow for 2 weeks as a Christmas temp on checkouts in Bristol. Genuinely dreading it, it's so tediously boring. It's actually made me really depressed, how the hell do I make it more entertaining?! Working on a checkout has to be one of the most horrible jobs ever I swear!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EamerRed
Used to work there for about 2 years, back tomorrow for 2 weeks as a Christmas temp on checkouts in Bristol. Genuinely dreading it, it's so tediously boring. It's actually made me really depressed, how the hell do I make it more entertaining?!

If you ever find out let me know, I feel exactly the same way. :/
It's actually soul destroying. :frown:

Although just think...two weeks and then you'll be free. :biggrin:
Reply 245
Do you know me?! Soul destroying is always the term I use for it, thats quite odd!

But yeah, trying to look up about it but I actually think I'd rather watch paint dry!
Do you know me?! Soul destroying is always the term I use for it, thats quite odd!

But yeah, trying to look up about it but I actually think I'd rather watch paint dry!

That's funny, I never really say that. I do the odd time but I mostly just say boring, depressing, demotivating or demoralising. :biggrin:

I think my best shifts on checkouts are the days its quiet and people I like are working though. I don't actually mind sitting on a checkout that much, I just get cranky and bored when I sit there serving customers for a few hours non-stop. I need a wee break every so often, even if its just to put something back on the shelf or check a price for someone. :biggrin:
Otherwise, I cover the time on the till with some coupon paper and try to think happy thoughts. Sometimes it helps to talk to the customers too, but I always find it extra-depressing serving a quiet person if I've just had really good conversation with someone. :tongue:
Reply 247
Original post by lufc1992uk
I'll let you know what happens come wednesday =/

What happened at meeting?
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how easy it is to get your permanent contract hours upped?

I have been working there for just about three months and once they finally get around to my 12 week review i feel i should ask. My contract is three days per week however since my second week i have worked five/six days a week. It's got to a point where i am being put down for shifts five days a week without being asked if i want it.

I just don't know whether it is acceptable to ask or whether it's too early to ask.

I had been suffering with an illness a fair bit lately, due to it being mental health it has been pretty easy to hide and it's not the kind of thing you would tell your employer, i know they don't look favorably upon those kind of problems, but i think it has slowed my work down a fair bit which also makes me reluctant to ask. :frown:
Original post by TheRosePetal
Hey guys,

I have been working there for just about three months and once they finally get around to my 12 week review i feel i should ask. My contract is three days per week however since my second week i have worked five/six days a week. It's got to a point where i am being put down for shifts five days a week without being asked if i want it.

I just don't know whether it is acceptable to ask or whether it's too early to ask.

I had been suffering with an illness a fair bit lately, due to it being mental health it has been pretty easy to hide and it's not the kind of thing you would tell your employer, i know they don't look favorably upon those kind of problems, but i think it has slowed my work down a fair bit which also makes me reluctant to ask. :frown:

Definitily ask, if they are putting you down every week they obviously need you! Don't let them take advantage of you, my manager did this to me, full time hours every week because of o/t yet if you are ill or for holidays you only get paid your tiny part time hours.

Also, if your illness is having a considerable effect I would definitly consider mentioning it to them, in my experience they were more than helpful, although this was a lovely manager!
Original post by cherrycola32
Definitily ask, if they are putting you down every week they obviously need you! Don't let them take advantage of you, my manager did this to me, full time hours every week because of o/t yet if you are ill or for holidays you only get paid your tiny part time hours.

Also, if your illness is having a considerable effect I would definitly consider mentioning it to them, in my experience they were more than helpful, although this was a lovely manager!

My managers are pretty nice but they are burly men, so not the kind of people you would easily talk too. Plus, i would be too worried about getting sacked and i need this job.

I didn't think about sick days or holidays, i guess that gives me more of a reason to ask if i keep doing full time hours.

Thank you! :smile:
Going back tomorrow. Used to work there for about 2 years, back tomorrow for 2 weeks as a Christmas temp on checkouts in Bristol. Genuinely dreading it, it's so tediously boring. It's actually made me really depressed, how the hell do I make it more entertaining?! Working on a checkout has to be one of the most horrible jobs ever I swear!

Generally we used to pull faces at each other across the checkouts, pretty risky if a manager catches you. But crazily funny when a customer catches you and gives you the strangest look.

Then we would have a competition to see who got put on the shop floor the least by looking distracted by tidying the carriers or cleaning the belts when they have no customers. I always lost this because i am so terrible at looking busy! :frown:

Aside from that, checkouts really is soul destroying. So glad i got away from it! :rolleyes:
Original post by PurpleConverse
Thanks for the reply, yup I know its more management..ish than entry level which is what i'm looking at considering I have quite abit of retail experience plus supervisor experience from a previous job.

Sounds very good though, I have an interview coming up in January which will be interesting, just a quick question, is the interview ridiculously hard?

Also will I have to take that maths test and all that the others take too?

I just wanna be fully prepared tbh, I really want this so i'm gonna do as my prep as I can and finally any tips?

Cheers and thanks again. ^^

Hiya,

The interview isn't that hard, I've done four team leader interview, no one I interviewed really struggled. Just be aware that the interview has a substantial bit about people management, I can't say much more than tht unfortunatey.
Original post by FXX
You probably should have lied, they wouldn't have asked for anything for one day off sick. No boss has any sympathy for anyone who chooses to drink the night before as it shows total negligence. I don't know what the official policy is at Sainsburys, but I'd be surprised if they take a light-hearted stance on it.

That depends whether u are still drunk or not, if your still drunk then I'd book the colleague in for a disciplinary hearing for conduct, that's what the proceedure is and tbh, u shouldn't be paralytic the night before work anyway. And if your just hungover, then i would keep there performance high by supplying them with plenty of coffee.:tongue:
Reply 254
Original post by davireland
That depends whether u are still drunk or not, if your still drunk then I'd book the colleague in for a disciplinary hearing for conduct, that's what the proceedure is and tbh, u shouldn't be paralytic the night before work anyway. And if your just hungover, then i would keep there performance high by supplying them with plenty of coffee.:tongue:

So if I want beverage of choice on the job... come in hungover? 3.5 years and no one told me that :biggrin:
Reply 255
Original post by TheRosePetal
Hey guys,

The handbook says that your manager should look at your hours if you are regularly being put on a shift as overtime. Just gently remind him/her of this?

On another note, I discovered something weird on my contract (Information from Sept 2008, so pay rates are different now, so idk if this has updated or not):
Holiday Pay 630.00 pph
Sick Pay 630.08 pph

Shouldn't these two figures be the same?
(edited 12 years ago)
I managed to stake out my contact.

"All overtime will be arranged three weeks in advance."

Like hell will it, i get told a few days before.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i will catch one of the nicer ones at a good time after new year if they keep giving me overtime. :biggrin:
Reply 257
Don't be afraid to tell them to stuff their overtime. Managers will walk all over you if you let them :wink:
Reply 258
I got my Christmas hours today.

Saturday: 1700-0100

Sunday: Day off

Monday 1200-2000

Tuesday: 0000-0600

Wednesday 0000-0700

Thursday 2200-0600

Friday 2200-0700

Actually happy I managed to get overnight shifts. No customers :biggrin:

Even though it says day off on Sunday, I am still technically working on the Sunday for 1 hour >_>
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm so glad I'm only working 3 days between now and Christmas, parking is a nightmare this time of year and I don't like when its busy. :tongue:

Do we get extra money for working New Years Day though?

Latest

Trending

Trending