The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QofQuimica
Ok, I got my email saying that I had to call to arrange a telephone interview. I read the article posted on here about the recruitment process and it didn't mention a telephone interview. Does anyone know whether this would be in place of an 'actual' interview?

You'll probably have both. The telephone interview is for all the corporate, formal stuff where they ask you things like where you've gone above and beyond your duties, where you've shown great customer service, teamwork etc.
If you pass that, you'll be invited to either an assessment or an interview, depending on the position (when I applied for Local, it was an informal 1-on-1 chat with the store manager. But I've heard for main stores it can be more of a group thing).
Does anyone know the process of the telephone interview? What questions they'll ask, and what happens after the interview?
Reply 4782
Original post by JoannaMilano
I just had my telephone interview and passed it, so I have another assessment next Tuesday. I assume this is the DVD everyone's been talking about? Anything else I'll have to do?

For my phone interview, it was just standard job application type questions- teamwork, experience etc.

a phone interview..hmmm i got a phone call from them yesterday just too book an interview.
Anyways this is link has good information and itll take you through the steps ;p
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Recruitment_at_Sainsburys
Reply 4783
Original post by elzginger
Hi! Welcome back :smile:

Team leader ey!? Heard its not the best Job in sainsburys, is it worth all the extra hassle for very little extra money?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thank you! :smile:
Yep :smile: It's an okay job, can get stressful at times but it's so varied on checkouts so it's good fun :smile: Also a lot of staff to keep you company :biggrin:
What role are you in?
Original post by Wannabe
Thank you! :smile:
Yep :smile: It's an okay job, can get stressful at times but it's so varied on checkouts so it's good fun :smile: Also a lot of staff to keep you company :biggrin:
What role are you in?

I'm a cashier on the checkouts. I use to work on the Customer Service Desk for a few weeks, but have never been put back in their, going to pluck up the courage to ask my manager to go back on the CSD.

Do you get paid during holiday leave?
Original post by Pink Boy
Do you get paid during holiday leave?

Yes you do get paid holiday. You get a set amount of holiday hours per year.

Anyone know what its like getting a dual store between main estate supermarket (home) and convince local store (uni). Currently dual storing in two main estate supermarkets and I have heard its very very hard to dual between the different companies due to being on different systems on something?
Anyone been successful in this? just there's a convenience store opening up 5 min walk away and my current uni store is like 10 min bus ride.
Thanks
Original post by JoannaMilano
I just had my telephone interview and passed it, so I have another assessment next Tuesday. I assume this is the DVD everyone's been talking about? Anything else I'll have to do?

For my phone interview, it was just standard job application type questions- teamwork, experience etc.

You joining the corporation too eh? Side work as student?

I'm officially no longer a colleague though. Last day was today, start new job in Hammersmith on Monday :awesome:
Original post by Tom2195
I wish the Sainburys website worked better when applying for jobs. Around 80% of the time when i go to apply to a job within my local area i get an error message saying "You have encountered an unexpected error. Please contact the System Administrator for assistance." It's annoying because every other vacancy that I try which isn't in my area it works fine.

Glad I'm not the only one that's encountered this issue. There's a few openings around my area and I've been struggling for the past week to apply for a position but I always encounter a random error. I tried a few browsers (chrome, Firefox, IE) and Firefox seemed to work a lot better so try another browser if you're having trouble. Good luck :smile:

My contract runs out today. I'm not staying because checkouts had no vacancies, and none of the checkout temps are staying. My manager said he'd call me back if a vacancy on checkouts came up. Would it be any use going into HR today and asking if they can fit me into another department?

Original post by thomas888b
My contract runs out today. I'm not staying because checkouts had no vacancies, and none of the checkout temps are staying. My manager said he'd call me back if a vacancy on checkouts came up. Would it be any use going into HR today and asking if they can fit me into another department?

You could try, I assume they would of considered that but it shows determination I suppose.

I just made a 'talk to justin' suggestion that runners/CSD colleagues be paid max band 2

*waits to be shot down by justin :-|*

Original post by matt4504
I just made a 'talk to justin' suggestion that runners/CSD colleagues be paid max band 2

*waits to be shot down by justin :-|*

I work in head office with Justin at Holborn. He was furious when he read that suggestion. I could hear him shouting from my office a few doors away. Expect a meeting with him next week together with a P45.

Spoiler

Reply 4794
Original post by elzginger
I'm a cashier on the checkouts. I use to work on the Customer Service Desk for a few weeks, but have never been put back in their, going to pluck up the courage to ask my manager to go back on the CSD.

Ask them! It's much more interesting than being sat on a checkout :smile:
I used to enjoy working the desk, apart from dealing with complaints that is!
If they've used you before in there, there's no reason why you can't go in again! Ask one of your team leaders :smile:
Reply 4795
Well I've got my interview on Wednesday for a part time night shift position. Im kinda nervous about it xD
Any tips and I would be grateful :biggrin:
Are we encouraged to put food cans with massive dents in them on the shelves?
Reply 4797
Original post by Pink Boy
Are we encouraged to put food cans with massive dents in them on the shelves?

Not at all if the state of the product looks brand-damaging. However even though there is nothing wrong with the product inside the can, it still has the same weight and it's not opened/leaking, some can still be sold.
Original post by Wannabe
Ask them! It's much more interesting than being sat on a checkout :smile:
I used to enjoy working the desk, apart from dealing with complaints that is!
If they've used you before in there, there's no reason why you can't go in again! Ask one of your team leaders :smile:

Im a little apprehensive to do so, I'm only 17 so I can understand if they don't want me in their, but then my manager made someone who is 18 and has only joined 3 weeks ago a supervisor! It's kind of a kick in the teeth for all the staff whose been here a while :s-smilie:
But I'll ask her anyway.

Original post by Hustler-1337
I work in head office with Justin at Holborn. He was furious when he read that suggestion. I could hear him shouting from my office a few doors away. Expect a meeting with him next week together with a P45.

Spoiler

lol I am quaking in my boots. They already turned down my suggestion if sticking the best weekly offers to the till draw so the cashiers knew them :-(

Latest

Trending

Trending