The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
I have a job interview tomorrow. They would like someone to start on Monday or as soon from monday as possible How would I leave sainsburys if i am sucessful? Could i still keep my saturday shift, ive been at sainsburys for about 6 weeks. If i cant then how much notice woud i have to give?
This is a very good job.
Original post by RJ100
I have a job interview tomorrow. They would like someone to start on Monday or as soon from monday as possible How would I leave sainsburys if i am sucessful? Could i still keep my saturday shift, ive been at sainsburys for about 6 weeks. If i cant then how much notice woud i have to give?
This is a very good job.

I very much doubt they'll let you just keep your Saturday shift. For a start, the minimum number of hours you can be contracted to is twelve, and they'll need to get someone new in who can take over your shifts, so from their point of view they might as well give your Saturday shift to them. And you'll have to give four weeks' notice before you can leave, so if you're planning on leaving imminently you should hand your notice in as soon as possible.
Reply 1182
Actually Saturdays the least favourite day for most people to want to work, so it's possible. Numerous people at my store are down for 8 hours on the schedule, so not sure how they do it, but working under 12 hours is possible.

But you'd already be down for shiftss over the next 3 weeks, so you might no be helping yourself there, if you knew this way in advance, they'd probably be more helpful. I dunno, it really comes down to budget issues too, being the start of a new tax year...a lot of stores love to get unpaid leave in and stuff to get their targets down to allow more freedom around busier periods.

Another random question.....we use the self service tills on nights sometimes at our store, so obviously when the stores closer, except for sundays....but I bought something at 5 as I was leaving and someone who works admin told me I shouldn't have just as it went through....seems a weird conflict there, is the person opening it at night in the wrong? Or is the guy in the morning just being fussy?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1183
Hello I am under 18 and have managed to somehow get an interview for a Counter Assistant. The interview is tomorrow, will i get completely turned down at the 1-1 interview?
Original post by DRose

Another random question.....we use the self service tills on nights sometimes at our store, so obviously when the stores closer, except for sundays....but I bought something at 5 as I was leaving and someone who works admin told me I shouldn't have just as it went through....seems a weird conflict there, is the person opening it at night in the wrong? Or is the guy in the morning just being fussy?

The nighshift manager opens up at self scan during the night for people, as long as they know that you are buying stuff its fine. I myself have used them as I've been leaving in the morning.
Reply 1185
Just had my interview today, and i believe it went really well, had to laugh at the obvious shoplifter on the video though :P

The interviewer said she would let me know by friday so in a couple of days

is that the norm, or is it a good sign ?
Reply 1186
I've just read online that customers can win paralympic tickets when the spend £50 instore or online (£10 centrals/ locals) by getting a scratchcard. Is this something we have to give out at the checkout? Anyone know?

At least this week it's only going to be printing Brand Match coupons! But those who don't spend £20 get other coupons.
Reply 1187
The bonus you get if you pass mcm/mac, who's eligible for it? All colleagues or colleagues that have been there atleast a year?
Original post by thatg
I've just read online that customers can win paralympic tickets when the spend £50 instore or online (£10 centrals/ locals) by getting a scratchcard. Is this something we have to give out at the checkout? Anyone know?

I haven't seen any briefing, but there were a load of these scratchards in the till when I turned up today.

Pretty much if the customer spends £50 (I work in a larger store) or more (the usual exclusions apply) then after they have paid (i.e. PIN has been accepted, or you have keyed in cash) a prompt will appear asking if they want it, with a Yes/No answer, and you just give it to them with their change/receipt.

Regards
Reply 1189
Original post by hasm
The bonus you get if you pass mcm/mac, who's eligible for it? All colleagues or colleagues that have been there atleast a year?

Pretty sure it's all band 2 and 3 colleagues and graduate retail trainees at grade 4S. I think there's a full year and 6 month option. If you speak to a Personnel Clerk they should be able to tell you the full details and if you're eligible.
Reply 1190
I've recently accepted an offer from Sainsbury's and my 2 day induction is in 2 weeks.

I was just wondering if they could change their mind based on references. I had some serious problems with my kidneys a while back and therefore my school attendance wasn't brilliant for a few months. I'm just really keen to work and get on with it now that I'm fixed haha.

I'm also wondering what I should wear for this induction, smart casual?

Original post by hj2808

The dress code is always smart/casual with no jeans. In my mind this just means shirt and trousers. You'll probably be issued with your uniform on the first day anyhow, so you'll just wear that from then on.

Good Luck!

Regards
Hi :smile:
For future reference if anyone has had a job in a new Sainsburys store, how long before the store opened were your induction days? :smile:
Reply 1193
Ive applied for an online shopper position and the hours would be 6am till 10am , four days a week

does anyone have any experience with this type of "early" shift, and if so how tiring is it both mentally/physically ? , as im not used to being up that early

Reply 1194
Original post by cgvince
Ive applied for an online shopper position and the hours would be 6am till 10am , four days a week

does anyone have any experience with this type of "early" shift, and if so how tiring is it both mentally/physically ? , as im not used to being up that early

I did some of these shifts on Groceries Online last summer and the one before. I'm not a morning person at all so it was horrible to pull myself out of bed in the dark and get to work as the sun came out. Upside is you get the whole day afterwards to do other stuff. The job itself involves miles and miles of walking the shopfloor, so you'll get your share of exercise and probably some tired feet but mentally its pretty simple stuff - 'pick, scan, pack, scan' says it all. If you're a morning person you'll probably adapt quickly but if you're a night owl you might find it more hard-going.
Reply 1195
Original post by cgvince

I've just started at sainsburys and i do a 6-2pm three days a week, first week was hard whilst i got used to the sleeping pattern and early morning wake up but now it's easy!
Get enough sleep and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 1196
I've just been informed that someone from my store has left..his shifts were 7-3pm three days a week.. he was there for 2 weeks.
I've literally only just started working for Sainsburys but these shifts would suit me better, do you reckon i actually have a chance of changing my contracted hours so soon?
Original post by hj2808
I've recently accepted an offer from Sainsbury's and my 2 day induction is in 2 weeks.

I was just wondering if they could change their mind based on references. I had some serious problems with my kidneys a while back and therefore my school attendance wasn't brilliant for a few months. I'm just really keen to work and get on with it now that I'm fixed haha.

trust me they wont check your references
Original post by Minerva McGonagall
Hi :smile:
For future reference if anyone has had a job in a new Sainsburys store, how long before the store opened were your induction days? :smile:

a month before the store opens they will send you for training at surrounding stores
Original post by fabz765
I've just been informed that someone from my store has left..his shifts were 7-3pm three days a week.. he was there for 2 weeks.
I've literally only just started working for Sainsburys but these shifts would suit me better, do you reckon i actually have a chance of changing my contracted hours so soon?

It's highly dependent on the stores needs. There's an HR system called the Manning Guide which calculates exactly where you need staff throughout the week and hour by hour depending on usual trends and fluctuations in busy-ness.

So the times that the ex-colleague filled may have been over contracted in which case the store would be glad to have the hours vacated and not try to fill them. If they're already short during those hours then they'd want to fill them.

Obviously, the hours you currently do factor in as well; i.e. can they afford to lose your hours. You'd have to request it to your HRM and hope for the best because it's almost impossible to guestimate your chances :smile:

~Jordan

Latest

Trending

Trending