The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

God but some customers hack me off sooo badly. (And I hasten to add these are generally in the minority as we get some lovely old characters in store on a daily basis!!)

I asked a 6-year old kid the other day not to play on a pallette which had these heavy 6-pack UHT milks on; had he knocked one of them off, which he was liable to do, it could have seriously hurt him; they are quite heavy and it would have landed either on his head or foot.

I politely asked him to get off the pallette, with no rudeness, or anger, or bossiness, or anything; yet his family glared pure daggers at me. I mean, basic Health & Safety; had one of them actually fallen and I done nothing, I'd have been the one to get it in the neck of course!! Despite the fact it was bad parenting too; they should be keeping better control of their kids!! Honestly!! I can't win. :rolleyes: Some people are such scum. That incident made me sooo annoyed. :angry:
Reply 1581
Original post by simonbellringer
Best bet is two teachers who you know well; I picked my tutor and English teacher from college. Family friends or Scout Leaders would be nice but I am told that they are not "professionals" (regardless of what jobs they actually do,) so sorry but I don't think you can have them!!! :frown:

Yh I actually prefer having teachers as my reference...but what do I ask my teacher? and what do I write on my CV? Thnx for the reply:smile:
Reply 1582
I was wondering if anyone could help me with A warehouse related question...

I got a serious Bo11ocking today and was made to re-do my Licence to Unload after the HR manager called me on not placing a drivers keys on the hook. The driver in question was Palmer and Harvey delivery driver who was dropping of cigarettes.
There is a poster over the hook which says, 'ensure all depot drivers place lorry key on the hook'.
Because P&H are not from a Sainsbury's depot and he only pulls up to the bay to chuck a bag at me I have never before asked him for the keys.

I thought it was a rule the Sainsbury's depots had come up with for the drivers to follow, we had heard stories of a driver pulling away with a warehouse guy in the back and what not.

To set the context, another backdoor guy has been told off a few times in the last few weeks for not getting the drivers to place the keys on the hook. The store manager has obviously told the HR manager to keep an eye out.
Reply 1583
Original post by eddyk
I was wondering if anyone could help me with A warehouse related question...

I got a serious Bo11ocking today and was made to re-do my Licence to Unload after the HR manager called me on not placing a drivers keys on the hook. The driver in question was Palmer and Harvey delivery driver who was dropping of cigarettes.
There is a poster over the hook which says, 'ensure all depot drivers place lorry key on the hook'.
Because P&H are not from a Sainsbury's depot and he only pulls up to the bay to chuck a bag at me I have never before asked him for the keys.

I thought it was a rule the Sainsbury's depots had come up with for the drivers to follow, we had heard stories of a driver pulling away with a warehouse guy in the back and what not.

To set the context, another backdoor guy has been told off a few times in the last few weeks for not getting the drivers to place the keys on the hook. The store manager has obviously told the HR manager to keep an eye out.

So what's the question?

If you've been trained to do something a specific way and you don't do it, you can't expect much less than a *******ing.
So apparently I have been offered a weekend checkouts job, woo! Buuuut HRSS had a glitch and so I never had the job offer (my interview was two weeks ago). I'm just waiting on an induction date. As they have already inducted everyone else who was interviewed at the same time as me do you think I'll have to wait long?

Thanks!
Reply 1585
The question is, who is supposed to put the keys on the hook? As I said I have conflicting pieces of info. The info board above the hook requesting all Sainsbury's depot drivers to place the key on the hook and someone saying otherwise. I guess I just needed to vent and doubt there will be anyone who definitively knows the answer.

The main problem at my place is inconsistency. One HR person will tell me one thing, and another something else. For example where I am supposed to stand when a wagon is reversing into the yard. One will say in the warehouse and the other will say out by the gate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1586
Obviously that is preferrable but what if this is your first job? I had 2 teachers as references; they didnt want a reference from my Scout leader, so it had to be a past job reference or 2 educational.

It was my first job too, but they said I couldn't have two educational referees so had to put down a family friend :/ don't know if they ever actually asked for references in the end though.
Original post by wren94
It was my first job too, but they said I couldn't have two educational referees so had to put down a family friend :/ don't know if they ever actually asked for references in the end though.

Now that is interesting; I had one educational reference and one family friend (and Scout leader) but they told me I could not have the latter. BEcause this was my first job they let me have 2 educational referees instead. Funny to hear how and why this happened the other way round though for you!! :confused::confused::confused:
Reply 1588
Now that is interesting; I had one educational reference and one family friend (and Scout leader) but they told me I could not have the latter. BEcause this was my first job they let me have 2 educational referees instead. Funny to hear how and why this happened the other way round though for you!! :confused::confused::confused:

How bizarre! :L
Reply 1589
Original post by eddyk
The question is, who is supposed to put the keys on the hook? As I said I have conflicting pieces of info. The info board above the hook requesting all Sainsbury's depot drivers to place the key on the hook and someone saying otherwise. I guess I just needed to vent and doubt there will be anyone who definitively knows the answer.

The main problem at my place is inconsistency. One HR person will tell me one thing, and another something else. For example where I am supposed to stand when a wagon is reversing into the yard. One will say in the warehouse and the other will say out by the gate.

The Retail Procedures guide on Connect under the Warehouse or Goods In section will describe exactly the procedure but I'm fairly certain it's only depot drivers - the whole point is that they can't drive off when you're in the back. Direct deliveries usually use a tail lift.

Every warehouse reception must have on display a risk assessment for the service yard detailing how lorries manoeuvre in and if the yard contains any safe zones. The Warehouse Assistant should unlock the gates, goto the safe zone or inside the building then the lorry should manoeuvre onto the bay. No colleagues should enter the yard whilst a lorry is moving. The gates should then be shut and paperwork done etc.

If you have any queries ask your Warehouse Team Leader or the Commercial Department Manager. But Connect contains the most recent rules and guidance.
Ive just finished my till training at Sainsburys and start next week. Noticed that over the weekend they took £1.15 out of my bank account which was random haha, does anybody know why?
Original post by kkate1212
Ive just finished my till training at Sainsburys and start next week. Noticed that over the weekend they took £1.15 out of my bank account which was random haha, does anybody know why?

Did you buy something from Sainsbury's with your bank card that cost £1.15? :wink:
Original post by Liam6993
Did you buy something from Sainsbury's with your bank card that cost £1.15? :wink:

no haha, i didnt use my card when I was there :s
Right, so I've just gotten a job at Sainsbury's in Warren Street Central London... I have an induction on Friday, from 1100-1700... Can anyone help me, and tell me what I'll be doing for 6 hours?? Also, when do they issue uniform? Am I likely to get fitting trousers(I'm 6'4")? And what am I expected to wear for the day? Shoes wise, I'm planning on wearing some very very comfortable combat boots, but I do have some black Puma trainers, which I was wondering if would be feasible for the future? Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by TimKisFreitas
Right, so I've just gotten a job at Sainsbury's in Warren Street Central London... I have an induction on Friday, from 1100-1700... Can anyone help me, and tell me what I'll be doing for 6 hours?? Also, when do they issue uniform? Am I likely to get fitting trousers(I'm 6'4")? And what am I expected to wear for the day? Shoes wise, I'm planning on wearing some very very comfortable combat boots, but I do have some black Puma trainers, which I was wondering if would be feasible for the future? Thanks guys :smile:

You'll probably be filling out lots of paperwork, getting a tour of the store, doing the basic fire safety and think 25 training and probably a lot more...You will get your uniform and usually they are quite good and getting the right size and if not they can order some more in usually pretty quickly...Dress code for inductions is smart casual, a shirt and smart trousers will be alright. Black puma trainers will probably be alright as black trainers can be worn as part of the uniform..

Hope that helps!
Original post by jamielreid
You'll probably be filling out lots of paperwork, getting a tour of the store, doing the basic fire safety and think 25 training and probably a lot more...You will get your uniform and usually they are quite good and getting the right size and if not they can order some more in usually pretty quickly...Dress code for inductions is smart casual, a shirt and smart trousers will be alright. Black puma trainers will probably be alright as black trainers can be worn as part of the uniform..

Hope that helps!

It really does! Thanks a lot! Sounds a bit like my first day at the work experience I did at Tesco a few years back. So, unless they're extremely inefficient it sounds as though I'll be actually doing the job for a considerable amount of those 6 hours? Or does it take the whole 6 hours to fill out the paperwork and watch the necessary videos?
Reply 1596
God but some customers hack me off sooo badly. (And I hasten to add these are generally in the minority as we get some lovely old characters in store on a daily basis!!)

I asked a 6-year old kid the other day not to play on a pallette which had these heavy 6-pack UHT milks on; had he knocked one of them off, which he was liable to do, it could have seriously hurt him; they are quite heavy and it would have landed either on his head or foot.

I politely asked him to get off the pallette, with no rudeness, or anger, or bossiness, or anything; yet his family glared pure daggers at me. I mean, basic Health & Safety; had one of them actually fallen and I done nothing, I'd have been the one to get it in the neck of course!! Despite the fact it was bad parenting too; they should be keeping better control of their kids!! Honestly!! I can't win. :rolleyes: Some people are such scum. That incident made me sooo annoyed. :angry:

I know how you feel. I can get so annoyed, yet really like the regulars.
A few months back a mother let her young 4/5 year old child climb and stand on the childrens high chair in the cafe, she did nothing as she was too busy talking to her friend.
Another mother who had about 5 children (2 in a pushchair) and all under the age of 10 were all given energy drinks and running round the store spilling it everywhere. That annoyed me! More for giving a child under 10, let alone a 3 year old an energy drink!

But I get more annoyed at children / teens on their own misbehaving as I find the owns with parents can be alright.
I've got my induction tomorrow, kinda nervous, but really pleased I got the job.
Original post by TimKisFreitas
It really does! Thanks a lot! Sounds a bit like my first day at the work experience I did at Tesco a few years back. So, unless they're extremely inefficient it sounds as though I'll be actually doing the job for a considerable amount of those 6 hours? Or does it take the whole 6 hours to fill out the paperwork and watch the necessary videos?

It takes the whole 6 hours to fill out the paperwork and watch the videos. Believe me, you're in for a day of fun fun and more fun! It just goes on and on and on, when you think you've finished all the paperwork, theres even more! You get paid for it though so its not all bad - just about 93% bad!
Reply 1599
How do you do a refund of a lottery ticket that has already been paid for? Is there a difference process if its all paid for by card too? Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending