The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheesecake12

Sorry for so many questions just want to know as much as poss before interview and don't want to get my hopes up just to find I stand very little chance of even getting the job!

Hi, I can't really answer all of your questions, especially the ones about the assessment centre and stuff as this appears to have changed since I joined, however for those that I can....

4) This will depend on the job you have applied for - what was your job title?

5) I am occaisonally asked (by Team Leader/Dept. Manager) to change the odd shift, but if for any reason I couldn't, that was fine.

6) Guess this just depends on your manager to be honest - mine have been nice enough.

7) Eligible for discount card after 6 months continuous service (10%). Can join social assocation (£1/month I think) and your store will run discounted trips to theme parks, christmas shopping or whatever. There is another site where you can get a % off gift cards for high street stores and whatever as well.

8) I am contracted 12 hours per week, and get 75hrs holiday for March '12 - March '13.

9) Overtime is optional and its availability will vary between departments (usually loads on checkouts). This is not paid extra.

10) Induction is probably a 2 full days - mostly Health & Safety and company policies - loads of DVD's. Then any department specific stuff (e.g. till training).

11) My induction was about 2 weeks after interview.

12) Will get a text/email if successful - usually pretty quick, within a week?

13) I think they have take 3 applicants to interview - but really not sure about this one.

Hope some of the above is helpful - good luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply whitewash..really appreciate it. The job is "convenience store customer service assistant" and the job description basically said you could find yourself on checkouts or around the store helping customers so could be doing anything I guess....
Oh well fingers crossed..will have to do some sainsburys revision now! x
Original post by AmyBarbie
I had my interview today and it went so well. Just relax and make sure you learn facts about Sainsburys incase you get asked what you know about it. I literally got asked two questions and then the guy went through everything like uniform sizes and stuff. The DVD section is also very straightforward. 3 sections: Customer service, Maths (very very basic Maths) and a questionnaire to see if your values match up with what they're looking for. Probably one of the most relaxed interviews I've ever had.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ahh that's great thanks a lot, good luck on getting the job btw!
Reply 1783
Hi, Hope noone minds me posting here as I am not actually a student

(I'm not either!)
Hi, Hope noone minds me posting here as I am not actually a student but am applying to join a new 'sainsbuys local store' and this seemed like the best thread I found online with advice etc.

Have a few questions so if anyone has a moment or 2 to answer them I would be really grateful.

I applied online for 12hrs a week over 3 days post, I got a text the morning after applying saying "congrats you have been invitited for a telephone interview ring this number.."

So I did and the interview lasted about 25/30mins, he asked me questions like why I wanted the job etc and was basically a normal interview. Was told that I would hear via email if successful and would be invited to an assement centre in 2 weeks time (the store I applied to has not yet opened)
He also gave the impression that the telephone call was the main interview and the assesment centre just involved doing a dvd/possibly group work and taking in proof of right to work in the UK etc.

So my questions are...

1. Is the telephone really the hardest bit..seems a bit to good to be true? Is this usual practice or is it just as the job I have applied for is in a store that has not yet opened (planned to open around August time) hense they cannot interview 20+ candidates in one of their other stores so do it over the phone?!

2. What is the 'assesment centre' like and what will I have to do? Will I be up against a few people that have all applied for the same role or am I almost definitley going to get the job as I have passed the telephone interview?

3. The pay is advertised £6.38 per hour (I am 21) Does it go up at all after a years service or inline with inflation or does it stay pretty close to minimum wage? I only ask as it will probably affect how long I choose to stay with them.

4. What sort of jobs will I be trained up to do if successful? Working 3 week days 11am-3pm?

5. Do they ever try and change the times they want you to work, as I can only really work the hours set on the website for childcare reasons (son will be at nursery) ?

6. Are the managers generally good/nice enough or shall I prepare to be treated like a slave?

7. What discount do you get? Any other benefits of working for the company?

8. How many days holiday for 12hrs a week?

9. Do you get paid extra for overtime? And do they expect you do over time?

10. How long does the induction last and what will I be expected to do? Will it be paid?

11. Is the induction likely to be a few days after interview?

12. Will they let you know there and then whether you have been successful or do you need to wait to receive a letter/email.

and finally....

13. The job I applied for came down the night I applied for it on the website, a few hours after my successful telephone interview it was put up again (same reference) - why could this be? Do they need someone for me to compete against as thats the only logic I can see?

Sorry for so many questions just want to know as much as poss before interview and don't want to get my hopes up just to find I stand very little chance of even getting the job!

Thanks in advance x

At my store which is a Local with a shift 11 to 3 you would be putting out stock .
Managers at my store are pretty young tho.
Had my first proper shift today and still not sure about some things!
Was nearly crying by the end of my shift :|

I had no idea what to do at the end of my shift? it got to 10, 10 went and gone, there were no supervisors around, so I stayed on til quarter past until i managed to wave someone down, then had to wait for HR to be opened as i don't have a locker.

What are the actual procedures when you end your shift? Also, do we not have to check notes? I'm also struggling a bit with think 25. I'm sooo bad at judging :frown: and I haven't had anyone young yet, but how do you know what the date should be on their ID? and what do you press if you have to take it off them?
Is there anything else I should really know about tills?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just in such a panic after my horrible first shift :frown:
Reply 1786
Original post by eloc_ssej
Had my first proper shift today and still not sure about some things!
Was nearly crying by the end of my shift :|

I had no idea what to do at the end of my shift? it got to 10, 10 went and gone, there were no supervisors around, so I stayed on til quarter past until i managed to wave someone down, then had to wait for HR to be opened as i don't have a locker.

What are the actual procedures when you end your shift? Also, do we not have to check notes? I'm also struggling a bit with think 25. I'm sooo bad at judging :frown: and I haven't had anyone young yet, but how do you know what the date should be on their ID? and what do you press if you have to take it off them?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm just in such a panic after my horrible first shift :frown:

When I finish my shift after the store closes, we basically have to wait for the supervisors to return from some meeting thing they go to. Why didn't you find any colleagues and ask them what you were supposed to do? It sounds like you're on checkouts so there must be more people around, so you can just follow their lead.

When you scan the age-restricted product, the required date of birth pops up, so you can compare the person's ID to that. Also, when that box comes up, it gives you a bunch of options - approve, as well as other reasons for rejecting the sale, so it's a lot easier than you might think it is.

At the end of the day, you've just started, you'll grow into it, definitely call your supervisors over if you need any assistance, and I'm sure it'll get better.
What are the actual procedures when you end your shift?

If it gets to the end of your shift and you don't have any customers to serve, just go. You don't have to ask permission. If you've got customers, buzz for a supervisor and ask them to close you down.

Also, do we not have to check notes?

I've worked on checkouts for two years and not once has anyone said we should check notes. So I'd guess not. :smile:

I'm also struggling a bit with think 25. I'm sooo bad at judging :frown: and I haven't had anyone young yet, but how do you know what the date should be on their ID? and what do you press if you have to take it off them?

You'll get better at judging once you get some practice. Also, if you're in ANY doubt whatsoever, ID them. Don't take the chance, because there's more chance than you think that it could be a test purchaser. Sainsbury's send someone underage into every store once every four weeks to check that we're applying Think 25, so even though you wouldn't get the fine/criminal record if it's just an internal check, it wouldn't get you in management's good books if you got caught. When you're asking someone for ID, always scan the item no matter how old they look. When you scan something that's age-restricted, a red box should pop up on the till with the date of birth they must have been born before, and you can check the ID against it. If they don't have ID, press the "No ID" or "Underage" or "Incorrect ID" button (whichever's relevant) on the till.

After your first couple of weeks, your job will be so easy you'll find it ridiculously boring and will wonder why you were ever panicking. Don't worry about it. :smile:

Hope that helps.
Original post by Zubby77
When I finish my shift after the store closes, we basically have to wait for the supervisors to return from some meeting thing they go to. Why didn't you find any colleagues and ask them what you were supposed to do? It sounds like you're on checkouts so there must be more people around, so you can just follow their lead.

When you scan the age-restricted product, the required date of birth pops up, so you can compare the person's ID to that. Also, when that box comes up, it gives you a bunch of options - approve, as well as other reasons for rejecting the sale, so it's a lot easier than you might think it is.

At the end of the day, you've just started, you'll grow into it, definitely call your supervisors over if you need any assistance, and I'm sure it'll get better.

Yeahhh, I was the only person left on checkouts so I was a bit confused. I'd asked what I was supposed to do before hand and they just said someone would let me go, but there was literally noone within shouting distance, and I didn't want to just leave the checkout.

Ah thanks a lot! You're a great help :smile:
Original post by Liam6993
If it gets to the end of your shift and you don't have any customers to serve, just go. You don't have to ask permission. If you've got customers, buzz for a supervisor and ask them to close you down.

I've worked on checkouts for two years and not once has anyone said we should check notes. So I'd guess not. :smile:

You'll get better at judging once you get some practice. Also, if you're in ANY doubt whatsoever, ID them. Don't take the chance, because there's more chance than you think that it could be a test purchaser. Sainsbury's send someone underage into every store once every four weeks to check that we're applying Think 25, so even though you wouldn't get the fine/criminal record if it's just an internal check, it wouldn't get you in management's good books if you got caught. When you're asking someone for ID, always scan the item no matter how old they look. When you scan something that's age-restricted, a red box should pop up on the till with the date of birth they must have been born before, and you can check the ID against it. If they don't have ID, press the "No ID" or "Underage" or "Incorrect ID" button (whichever's relevant) on the till.

After your first couple of weeks, your job will be so easy you'll find it ridiculously boring and will wonder why you were ever panicking. Don't worry about it. :smile:

Hope that helps.

Do you literally just leave the till then?
Oooh ok, I'm suprised we don't have to check tbh.
Ok, thank you. I saw the the red box, but I never noticed a date, but then I had no reason to look cause they were all older people. If there's more than one person do you have to ID them both?
Thanks a lot :smile:

Hope that helps.

Are you supposed to scan an age restricted product Before you ask for ID because i scan the product after ID has been shown . I feel that on till records i would have few rejections when in actual fact i rejected ID but its not been recorded.
Do you literally just leave the till then?
Oooh ok, I'm suprised we don't have to check tbh.
Ok, thank you. I saw the the red box, but I never noticed a date, but then I had no reason to look cause they were all older people. If there's more than one person do you have to ID them both?
Thanks a lot :smile:

Yeah, just leave the till. If your shift is over, and you've no customers at your till, they've no reason to keep you. Maybe say bye to someone so that they've noticed you've gone, but you don't have to ask to leave or anything.

If there's more than one person, only ID the one who's paying for it. Unless it's clear that they're both gonna be drinking it (like, if one of them passes money to the other to pay for "their share"), then ID them both.
Original post by scott125
Are you supposed to scan an age restricted product Before you ask for ID because i scan the product after ID has been shown . I feel that on till records i would have few rejections when in actual fact i rejected ID but its not been recorded.

Yeah, you should scan before you ask for ID. For some reason the company needs to keep a record of when they refuse sales.
Reply 1793
So annoyed tonight!

Was suppose to be in charge with a team leader tonight of checkouts (I am a fairly new supervisor) but instead i was on a till.

Two people one who is a supervisor and one who isn't any more ended up staying extra until closing and supervised instead of me.

Am i right to be annoyed at this. I was suppose to be supervising not them, they could have been on a till or done shopping and this was suppose to happen but then it changed all of a sudden.

Not sure if I should speak to my manager about this tomorrow or not, maybe I should just leave it, any advice on what I should do?

I am working tomorrow as a supervisor but i wonder if I will, how will i learn if all they do is keep me on a till.

Ergh
Yeah, you should scan before you ask for ID. For some reason the company needs to keep a record of when they refuse sales.

Must do this from now , never told me in the first place:rolleyes:
Reply 1795

Honestly if they want that they should bring back the refusals book. The staff have enough on their hands, particularly when doing often difficult refusals of alcohol to remember to scan it and then say no ID/underage/etc.
Original post by otu1987
Honestly if they want that they should bring back the refusals book. The staff have enough on their hands, particularly when doing often difficult refusals of alcohol to remember to scan it and then say no ID/underage/etc.

With the refusals book you had to fill in the date, time, product they attempted to buy and a description of the customer. It's much easier to scan an item and press "No ID", imo.
and they need the record of declined age-restricted items report from repos to show their due diligence
Reply 1798
Another quick question, are checkout people supposed to know where everything in store is? In case we get tackled by a customer on our way out, or do we just say sorry, I'm not sure, but if you find another colleague they'll be able to help?
Reply 1799
Original post by ssej
Another quick question, are checkout people supposed to know where everything in store is? In case we get tackled by a customer on our way out, or do we just say sorry, I'm not sure, but if you find another colleague they'll be able to help?

Apologise and explain you're not sure then take them to another colleague yourself instead of asking them to find one, incase they are mystery customer ;-)

Latest

Trending

Trending