The Student Room Group

Why are the Brits so anti American?

White America isnt some soulless, consumerist society but a nation heavily grounded on the principles of British/Scottish presbeterianism. Its deeply twisted how here we (mostly liberal types/students) bash them and kowtow to the muslims. The respect they have for national institutions, the family and religion are all things we should instill in our own youth.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because they shove their tripe down our throats all the time.
I'm not anti-American, but I've known lots of annoying Americans. Perhaps this is because their accents can be annoying, and only the loud ones are confident enough to come over to another country, plus any rudeness they display seems 10x worse since they're in someone else's home country and they have their own decent-sized, comfortable home country which they could go back to. Most of the older Americans I've met in Britain seem nicer. Maybe they mellow out with age. But my experience of Americans is pretty limited
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
There'll always be those groups of people who hate other societies/countries for their own given reasons. We could sit here and think of many negatives of the US, as could they.
You sound like a fascist.
Reply 5
Because, lets face it, they are fat. Uneducated white trash... why are you so pro american?
Most Britons aren't.
Reply 7
Wouldn't want to instill religion on the youth. Don't know if your premise is generally true. I don't think most brits care.

Wonder if this is like the Brits perception that the Germans cared when we beat them in football. We care, but the Germans don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Because us Brits hide our affection for other nations through sarcasm, insults, and moral superiority. This gives off the impression that we hate other countries, protecting us from having to admit that we actually like them alot, and the potential for rejection if they dont really like us.
Original post by nativeLondoner
White America isnt some soulless, consumerist society but a nation heavily grounded on the principles of British/Scottish presbeterianism. Its deeply twisted how here we (mostly liberal types/students) bash them and kowtow to the ****ing muslims. The respect they have for national institutions, the family and religion are all things we should instill in our own youth.

Calling those who believe in Islam ****ing muslims is a bit harsh....
I think the majority of people are not anti-America. But I think as someone said earlier, it is the loud Americans that annoy people.

Personally, I have many American friends and I am not anti-America and know very few people who actually are anti-America...
Reply 11
Original post by nativeLondoner
White America isnt some soulless, consumerist society but a nation heavily grounded on the principles of British/Scottish presbeterianism. Its deeply twisted how here we (mostly liberal types/students) bash them and kowtow to the ****ing muslims. The respect they have for national institutions, the family and religion are all things we should instill in our own youth.

I think most people are anti-America rather than anti-American. I have rarely met an American I didn't like but the way the country acts as a nation is appalling.

Massive sense of entitlement, the whole 'we're the chosen ones' syndrome. Easily as bad as the British at the height of colonialism. Bullies who think that the only way is The American Way and are so superior that they decided unilaterally to be the policemen of the world. Well, we've seen how American policemen can behave and it's not reassuring.

And I don't want cheese with everything.
Reply 12
really, id say most brit don't care about americans
I'm not anti-American, I'm just pro logic.
Reply 14
Banning the teaching of evolution in schools. Anti logic
I love the American people, who when I have met them are some of the nicest friendliest most hospitable people out there.

The American government, well, that's another matter.
Original post by include
Because, lets face it, they are fat. Uneducated white trash... why are you so pro american?

What? And the north of England is not? :curious:
Reply 17
Original post by Aeschylus
I love the American people, who when I have met them are some of the nicest friendliest most hospitable people out there.

The American government, well, that's another matter.

This.

I think a lot of brits just look into the sterotypes a bit too much (white trash, they're all fat etc etc) just like the americans do back (we all talk posh, have afternoon tea etc). Having spent a lot of time in America, I can say that these stereotypes are present, but they don't make up 100% of American society!
We tend to be quite reproachful of blind patriotism and unfathomable stupidity.

I'm just kidding.

Murrrrrrikaaa!
Reply 19
Because of American exceptionalism. they think they are really something special and still pick up Puritan principles due to a lack of a past.

we also have USA according to the rest of the world:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending