The Student Room Group

Should the UK have a Monarchy?? Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

YES!!!!!!!!!
For me the key issue is, do we actually need to have a Monarchy?. I think it would probably do more harm than good in the short term if we were to abolish the monarchy. However I don't really see any fundamental reasons why it is neccessary for Britain to have one.
Original post by Jale
Nowhere. But, lack of a requirement to consult people doesn't protect the government from the harshest public criticism when it comes to light that they knowingly mislead us over the impetus for war.

Of course, I agree, I just think it's an unfair exageration to say the government goes beyond its powers when it does something unpopular.
I'd prefer to be rid of the monarchy, but I not bothered either way. However I think only the queen and those in line to the throne should get any sort of public funding. I know the rest of the family don't necessarily get paid by the tax payer, but they shouldn't get anything at all. Only the queen, charles and william should get any sort of money.
no, we should have democracy.
Reply 185
Original post by SciFiBoy
no, we should have democracy.

We do have democracy.
Good grief, three monarchy threads? It's true: as soon as republicans end up in the deep end, they scramble out, start another thread, and ignore their previous crushing defeat.
Original post by Jale
We do have democracy.

:rofl: keep telling yourself that.
Reply 188
Original post by Blithering
Surely democracy is based around a system of government by the whole population. The last time I checked, we, the general British nation, have never voted a Queen or King in to power. Why a particular blood line of people, such as the 'Royal Family' feel that they are superior to any other "family" is beyond me. Why on earth our monarchs feel that the British population must be subservient, so much to the point that they feel that they deserve extortionate wealth which everybody else must contribute to, astounds and frankly horrifies me. The whole idea that anyone with such a twisted view on fairness and equality is in such a postion of power highlights how unjust the modern day hierarchy has become.

I have no numerical values to provide evidence towards my personal view, but I would be very much surprised if the money brought in to the nation that benefits society, is greater than the money that the royal family receive to live their spoilt lives...

Can you point out the last time the monarch used their god given power to go against the wishes or wants of the democratically elected government of the United Kingdom or its people? When is the last time the queen was shown the results of a general election and instead of asking the winner to form a government asked someone else?
Surely democracy is based around a system of government by the whole population.

And it is - the government consists of Members of Parliament, who are accountable to the House of Commons. What more do we need?

The last time I checked, we, the general British nation, have never voted a Queen or King in to power.

But then the people of Germany have never elected their president either. You do not need regular election to signify consent. Otherwise we'd need election for every single facet of the State.

Why a particular blood line of people, such as the 'Royal Family' feel that they are superior to any other "family" is beyond me.

They don't.

Why on earth our monarchs feel that the British population must be subservient, so much to the point that they feel that they deserve extortionate wealth which everybody else must contribute to, astounds and frankly horrifies me.

They don't, and they don't.

The whole idea that anyone with such a twisted view on fairness and equality is in such a postion of power highlights how unjust the modern day hierarchy has become.

They don't have a position of power. It's a ceremonial post, with occasional constitutional duties.

I have no numerical values to provide evidence towards my personal view, but I would be very much surprised if the money brought in to the nation that benefits society, is greater than the money that the royal family receive to live their spoilt lives...

I presume you haven't read much of the previous discussion, but I'll reiterate: the royal family do not receive public money for their personal enjoyment. They receive it for the specific purpose of fulfilling the public duties of the Office of Head of State. Otherwise, to say it's for their personal enjoyment is equivalent to saying the budget of the NHS is there for the personal enjoyment of the Secretary of State for Health.
Why a particular blood line of people, such as the 'Royal Family' feel that they are superior to any other "family" is beyond me. Why on earth our monarchs feel that the British population must be subservient, so much to the point that they feel that they deserve extortionate wealth which everybody else must contribute to, astounds and frankly horrifies me.

The Queen doesn't feel superior to her subjects. We are not subservient to her, she feels subservient to her people and has served her people without any selfishness, fatigue or delusions of her own importance since she came to the throne. Most people admire the way she's given her life to serve us, you're completely out of touch. There is no oppression of the masses, only the consent of the masses for her to serve an impartial, sentimental role in cultural and charitable matters.
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
The Queen doesn't feel superior to her subjects. We are not subservient to her, she feels subservient to her people and has served her people without any selfishness, fatigue or delusions of her own importance since she came to the throne. Most people admire the way she's given her life to serve us, you're completely out of touch. There is no oppression of the masses, only the consent of the masses for her to serve an impartial, sentimental role in cultural and charitable matters.

No oppression, but SUPPRESSION of the free choice for an elected high chamber and a head of state for a limited or determined period of time. Don't give me that Germany thing again, there is a polar opposite difference there. Ask the German citizens before you express 15th century illusions here. But, wait, let's see Scotland, Australia and later Canada doing it and you decide next :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Vivat Regina Elizabetha.
Original post by chainreaction
No oppression, but SUPPRESSION of the free choice for an elected high chamber and a head of state for a limited or determined period of time. Don't give me that Germany thing again, there is a polar opposite difference there. Ask the German citizens before you express 15th century illusions here. But, wait, let's see Scotland, Australia and later Canada doing it and you decide next :smile:

If it came to a free choice, they'd go for the monarch. On the subject of the Upper House, most people don't care.

If the British people at any time changed their minds on this, we'd have a republic in days. Simple. It's not suppressed at all.

You're implying a lot of things which aren't true.
Just as I always said - Elections are not meritocratic: http://news.yahoo.com/people-arent-smart-enough-democracy-flourish-scientists-185601411.html

The democratic process relies on the assumption that citizens (the majority of them, at least) can recognize the best political candidate, or best policy idea, when they see it. But a growing body of research has revealed an unfortunate aspect of the human psyche that would seem to disprove this notion, and imply instead that democratic elections produce mediocre leadership and policies.

The research, led by David Dunning, a psychologist at Cornell University, shows that incompetent people are inherently unable to judge the competence of other people, or the quality of those people's ideas. For example, if people lack expertise on tax reform, it is very difficult for them to identify the candidates who are actual experts. They simply lack the mental tools needed to make meaningful judgments.

As a result, no amount of information or facts about political candidates can override the inherent inability of many voters to accurately evaluate them. On top of that, "very smart ideas are going to be hard for people to adopt, because most people don’t have the sophistication to recognize how good an idea is," Dunning told Life's Little Mysteries.
Original post by gladders
If it came to a free choice, they'd go for the monarch. On the subject of the Upper House, most people don't care.

If the British people at any time changed their minds on this, we'd have a republic in days. Simple. It's not suppressed at all.

You're implying a lot of things which aren't true.

British people are manipulated since young ages. Everything is controlled in the UK, including mass media, One can't go on TV with anything against the monarchy. You know it serves the structure at the best. It happens to study the theories of systems :wink:

If elections are not meritocratic, then that reflects the mentality of the society at a given time through their democratic right to exercise free choice (eg a mediocre society will reflect its freedom of choice into electing mediocre candidates). Therefore, not electing the upper house and the head of state denies the idea of exercising the free choice through an election, going beyond meritocracy and falling into oligarchy or kleptocracy, NOT democracy.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
The republicans greatest weapon is Prince Charles. When he becomes king and does some massive un-PC **** up then public support for the monarchy will nosedive. But until then they have the masses brainwashed and are pretty solid in their current position.
Original post by Wave
The republicans greatest weapon is Prince Charles. When he becomes king and does some massive un-PC **** up then public support for the monarchy will nosedive. But until then they have the masses brainwashed and are pretty solid in their current position.

You got in too much detail. No matter who makes the monarchical family (it can be an X guy from abroad that suddenly relates on the blood line:wink:, there is a structural advantage for an elite in your country (I am from France) and this elite (unelected upper chamber + top positions in the society and business , e.g. the city of london corporation) would do anything to maintain it.Just open your eyes, everyone interested outside the UK is seeing it :wink:
Original post by chainreaction
British people are manipulated since young ages. Everything is controlled in the UK, including mass media, One can't go on TV with anything against the monarchy. You know it serves the structure at the best. It happens to study the theories of systems :wink:

This is completely and utterly untrue. There is plenty of airtime for republican movements. The Guardian, a major left-wing broadsheet, is openly republican.

Want to rethink your statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending