The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry - unit 2 19th january 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't know about you guys, but I can barely contain my excitement for unit 2...Not.
Reply 21
Original post by Cetacea
I'm not actually re-sitting Unit 1 but from what I remember I don't think it really comes up. Check the specification (on the Edexcel website) or ask your teacher. I think it's just bonding, energetics, introductory organic chemistry, moles and formula calculations and the periodic table. This last section may contain group 2.

if thats the case, then why does Group2 stuff keeps on coming up in Unit1 papers? EVERY single paper i do, there's ATLEAST about 5-8marks based on group2 elements.

I mean i JUST finished the jan10 paper, the 1st question on the written paper was to do with group2 stuff:confused::eek:
Reply 22
heyy guys i am resitting this unit too, anyone got a good way of revising the titrations?
Reply 23
Original post by pri_123
heyy guys i am resitting this unit too, anyone got a good way of revising the titrations?

To revise titrations I went through all the papers and did all the titration questions from each. Practise makes perfect and you'll start to notice the common things they'll ask in a certain order.

1. Often they ask an indicator first (for acid-base titrations this would be methyl orange or phenolphthalein, for iodine/thiosulphate titrations it would be starch).

2. Then they sometimes ask you to calculate the mean titre.

3. You would then calculate the moles of one of the reactants using the mean titre and the concentration given to you in the question.

For the rest of the titration question it'll be a case of using the equation for the ratios, and manipulating the equation concentration = moles/volume.
Reply 24
Original post by Cetacea
To revise titrations I went through all the papers and did all the titration questions from each. Practise makes perfect and you'll start to notice the common things they'll ask in a certain order.

1. Often they ask an indicator first (for acid-base titrations this would be methyl orange or phenolphthalein, for iodine/thiosulphate titrations it would be starch).

2. Then they sometimes ask you to calculate the mean titre.

3. You would then calculate the moles of one of the reactants using the mean titre and the concentration given to you in the question.

For the rest of the titration question it'll be a case of using the equation for the ratios, and manipulating the equation concentration = moles/volume.

oh cool thank you :smile:
lets make this thread more active come ONNNNNNNNNNNN !!!! okay can someone temme definitions of electronegativity and why london dispersion forces !!
I'm ready for this exam, bring it on! :colone:
Reply 27
Original post by moizedexcel
lets make this thread more active come ONNNNNNNNNNNN !!!! okay can someone temme definitions of electronegativity and why london dispersion forces !!

Yes you're right - there's only 2 pages!

Electronegativity is the ability or tendency of an atom to attract the bonding pair of electrons to itself in a covalent bond.

London forces (aka dispersion forces or instantaneous dipole-induced dipole) exist between all molecules (both polar and non-polar ones). Chemguide explains their formation particularly well on this page.
Original post by Cetacea
Yes you're right - there's only 2 pages!

Electronegativity is the ability or tendency of an atom to attract the bonding pair of electrons to itself in a covalent bond.

London forces (aka dispersion forces or instantaneous dipole-induced dipole) exist between all molecules (both polar and non-polar ones). Chemguide explains their formation particularly well on this page.

well i noe how they r formed buh i wanna know a precise definition for the paper !! can i say that assymmetrical distribution of electrons results in an instantaneous dipole tht causes an induced dipoles in neighbouting atoms ...???
ok peeople can someoen write reaction when carbon dioxide passes thru the limewater...............also why prolonged passage of CO2 doesnt form a precipitate ok i noe hydrogencarbonate is soluble buh whats the reaction equation for this too
Reply 30
Original post by moizedexcel
well i noe how they r formed buh i wanna know a precise definition for the paper !! can i say that assymmetrical distribution of electrons results in an instantaneous dipole tht causes an induced dipoles in neighbouting atoms ...???

That's correct. It's unlikely you'll be asked to define London forces as such, but you will be expected to know their formation which is pretty much defining them! (June 2011 paper - 'Explain the formation of London forces').
Original post by Cetacea
That's correct. It's unlikely you'll be asked to define London forces as such, but you will be expected to know their formation which is pretty much defining them! (June 2011 paper - 'Explain the formation of London forces').

umm yeah !!! ok temme something about the exammm do you hve any paper or makr scheme tht u'd like to share our scho0o0ol duznt give nytihng !!!!!!!!!
Reply 32
oh God i feel so stressed for this paper :frown:
I dont know what to expect ?!
Anyone got tips on how to do good revision for this paper ??
Reply 33
Original post by aqua05
oh God i feel so stressed for this paper :frown:
I dont know what to expect ?!
Anyone got tips on how to do good revision for this paper ??

do pastpaper....again do it....again do it...well,im nervous too.......lets do our revision here..
:frown:
Original post by arnab
errm a bit confused....do we need to need about group2 stuff for unit1? just did the unit1 paper for june 2009 and there were some group2 question which i thought can only come up in unit2?

Also can someone help me understand this question :

Which of the following has the smallest ionic radius and WHY?

A. F-

B. Na+

C. Mg+2

D. O-2

The numbers refer to charge of each ion. The right answer is C but can someone give me a reason for it please?

As we go throught the periodic table from left to right the size of ions decreases
Mg2+ has the smallest ionic radius because it lost 2 electrons from its outermost shell and hence lost one energy level.

Na also lost one electron but comes before Mg2+ in the periodic table. In F- and O-2 they both gain electrons making their ionic radii higher than that of Mg2+
Reply 35
guys....do u hv any idea about wht might come up on this exam????
Reply 36
Original post by cisne
guys....do u hv any idea about wht might come up on this exam????

It's impossible to say really. I've just revised everything according to the syllabus as anything on there could come up again. I have made lots of notes and done as many practice questions as possible and because of this I feel much more prepared for this exam than I did in June last year, so hopefully that will reflect in my result.
Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between induced dipole dipole and permanent dipole dipole?

Also, is induced dipole dipole the same thing as London forces and vdw forces?

I thought NH3 had london,permanent dipole and hydrogen bonding but my teacher told me it hasn't got permanent dipole dipole

:confused:
Reply 38
Original post by This Honest
Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between induced dipole dipole and permanent dipole dipole?

Also, is induced dipole dipole the same thing as London forces and vdw forces?

I thought NH3 had london,permanent dipole and hydrogen bonding but my teacher told me it hasn't got permanent dipole dipole

:confused:

London forces (also known as instantaneous dipole-induced dipole) exist between all molecules. For example alkanes just have London forces.

Permanent dipole-permanent dipole forces exist between polar molecules only, for example HCl is polar so will have both London forces and permanent dipole-permanent dipole forces.

I read somewhere that you should be careful using the term van der Waals' forces because that can actually encompass London forces and permanent dipole-permanent dipole forces.

As for ammonia, it is a polar molecule that can form hydrogen bonds so surely it must have all three kinds of force?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
shame on me...really:frown: i hv problems with doing oxidation reduction questions...calculating the oxidation number.... cn anybody help me pls...??????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending