The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry - unit 2 19th january 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I'll post a few questions & lot can answer them...
I'll post after my revision :smile:
Hopefully by night xx
Reply 101
Original post by aqua05
Hopefully by night xx

I have some notes to post too....but there's a lot of stuff to type thats why I took pictures of it..I was wondering whether its allowed or not?? I mean uploading pictures from the revision guide ...???
Original post by aqua05
Hopefully by night xx

Original post by arnab
i prefer this unit a lot more then unit1...its more logical and u goota know ur **** for to answer the questions right lol

Original post by cisne
I have some notes to post too....but there's a lot of stuff to type thats why I took pictures of it..I was wondering whether its allowed or not?? I mean uploading pictures from the revision guide ...???

brap brap brappp

give two observations you would make when an alcohol reacts with sodium metal
Reply 103
Original post by James A
brap brap brappp

give two observations you would make when an alcohol reacts with sodium metal

effervescence of H2 gas
sodium sinks
test tube becomes hot :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by cisne

i really dont know :frown: its better not to put pictures from the revision guide as it is copy righted... how about you telling us which revision guide you using & the page numbers.. ?
I have the chemistry salters revision guide, george facer text book & the blue book
Original post by aqua05
effervescence of H2 gas
sodium sinks
test tube becomes hot :smile:

effervescense of h2 gas is incorrect im afraid. if you do put that down, they want to know how you came to conclusion that hydrogen is the gas given off. therefore you need to say effervescense of colourless gas

test tube becomes hot is perfectly correct.

however sodium sinks? its better to say sodium dissolves/dissappear
Reply 106
Original post by James A
effervescense of h2 gas is incorrect im afraid. if you do put that down, they want to know how you came to conclusion that hydrogen is the gas given off. therefore you need to say effervescense of colourless gas

test tube becomes hot is perfectly correct.

thanks ! i'll take a note of that :biggrin:
Reply 107
my question to everyone

why does carbon dioxide & methane absorb infrared radiation even though the molecule is non polar ?
Reply 108
Original post by aqua05
i really dont know :frown: its better not to put pictures from the revision guide as it is copy righted... how about you telling us which revision guide you using & the page numbers.. ?
I have the chemistry salters revision guide, george facer text book & the blue book

I think that book is avaiable only in Maldives and in India,...
ok,its better not to upload,thanks
Original post by aqua05
my question to everyone

why does carbon dioxide & methane absorb infrared radiation even though the molecule is non polar ?

because their dipole moments change when they vibrate?
Reply 110
can anyone post notes on group 7 & group 2 metals ??! just realised im not good in that :frown:
Reply 111
Original post by James A
so propanal is an aldehyde, therefore NO HYDROGEN BONDS OCCUR, however PERMANENT DIPOLE DIPOLE interactions OCCUR and of course LONDON FORCES OCCURS IN ALL MOLECULES MOLECULES

Correct!
Reply 112
Original post by James A
because their dipole moments change when they vibrate?

Yes the molecule vibrates in 3 ways - asymmetric streching, symmetric stretching and bending.
Symmetric stretching doesnot cause any change in dipoles thus doesnot absorb IR, where as the other 2 modes cause a change in dipoles so absorbs IR :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by James A

A white solid is produced gets you the mark. Every time. [The white solid being sodium ethoxide/butoxide e.t.c.]
Original post by Amy7
A white solid is produced gets you the mark. Every time. [The white solid being sodium ethoxide/butoxide e.t.c.]

:yep:
Reply 115
Can anyone explain to me the meaning of bond length ?? :s-smilie:
It is in the shapes of molecules & ions..
Reply 116
Original post by Amy7

Great observation :biggrin:
I wouldnt have thought about it !!
Reply 117
and i need help
can anyone explain to me the structure of a carbon nanotube ??

Reply 118
CAN ANYONE PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER :biggrin:
Thank youu :smile:

Q - Explain the structure of graphite, diamond, fullerenes and carbon nanotubes. Also explain their applications :smile:

A
DIAMOND
It is a giant molecular structure, where by each carbon atom is bonded to 4 other carbon atom forming a tetrahedral shape which is bonded by strong covalent bonds. It forms a continuous octahedral structure. It is the hardest substance known
Application - it can be used in jewellery, in industries to cut very hard substances(rocks) due to its property of being the hardest substance known.

GRAPHITE.
It is a giant molecular structure. Each carbon atom is bonded to 3 other carbon atoms, forming a trigonal planar at each point and forming a hexagonal plate. The plates are arranged in layers which are held by weak van der waals forces, which has a property of sliding over each other
Application - used as "lead" in pencils, as layers of graphite can be easily scraped off which leaves a mark on the paper. It can be used during electrolysis as graphite electrodes. It can also be used as a lubricant, due to its characteristic sliding of one layer over another within the crystal.

FULLERENES.
It exists as spherical structure and has fixed number of carbon atoms. It has only 60 carbon atoms...
What else?? What application ??

NANOTUBES - STRUCTURE & APPLICATION??

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT! :smile:
THANKS SO MUCH! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 119
how do u work out if a compound has an overall dipole moment or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending