The Student Room Group

Advice for exams?

Hi, I've started my A levels and I'm doing Law, English and Psychology. I'm mostly an A grade student but I've noticed in Law that I have issues with the timing, if given the time I get As in all of my assessment we've done so far but I don't get as much time given to me in the exam. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for timing everything better?

I hope this makes sense, I'm half asleep. If you want a more detailed answer at a later date I'll write it below but I have a mock on thursday which I'd like to try out any techniques for timings you suggest.
Reply 1
Original post by Greavesy_94
Hi, I've started my A levels and I'm doing Law, English and Psychology. I'm mostly an A grade student but I've noticed in Law that I have issues with the timing, if given the time I get As in all of my assessment we've done so far but I don't get as much time given to me in the exam. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for timing everything better?

I hope this makes sense, I'm half asleep. If you want a more detailed answer at a later date I'll write it below but I have a mock on thursday which I'd like to try out any techniques for timings you suggest.

I don't do law, but the general advice for any subject is to do many past papers and do them in the time limit. I wouldn't try to squeeze in any past papers before your mock on Thursday. Rather, use the time until then to squeeze in as much content as you can and then sit the paper on Thursday to establish where you are. What you can do is make sure not to take too long on particular questions if they're too challenging - you can go back to them.

After that, as I say, past papers, past papers, past papers. They're quite boring to do of course, but it is probably the most proficient way of improving your grade. That's because, these days, it's all about exam technique. Make sure you're reading through questions, thinking a moment and writing down relevant answers in a decent time. If something is too challenging or seems abhorrently worded or something and you don't understand at that moment, move on and perhaps look again later.
Reply 2
@CraigKirik, We do a lot of past papers regularly, probably 3 per week (one every lesson). I agree wholly but the paper has 3 sections, A, B and C. B I can do relatively quickly everytime, but A is only 1 question and C is only 2 questions so obviously not much to skip ahead and do other questions and come back to the harder questions because if I do it'd be harder to get higher marks.

My logic may be flawed in this comment but as said, I'm half asleep
Reply 3

@CraigKirik, We do a lot of past papers regularly, probably 3 per week (one every lesson). I agree wholly but the paper has 3 sections, A, B and C. B I can do relatively quickly everytime, but A is only 1 question and C is only 2 questions so obviously not much to skip ahead and do other questions and come back to the harder questions because if I do it'd be harder to get higher marks.

My logic may be flawed in this comment but as said, I'm half asleep

Okay, and despite doing these papers are there no improvements?

Assuming they're essay questions, are you reflecting on how you write them? Review your planning ability for each essay and see how you can improve it to put yourself in a better position to write the actual body text of the essay. Then review your structure and see if you can find common arguments that arise in your essays and you can become familiar with them so that you can splurge them out on exam day. Make sure that you're able to quickly write introductions so that you don't get bogged down with 'how do I start?' and do the same for conclusions. If it's taking too long to write your introduction, you can leave the space for one and come back.

Sorry for the slow reply - quote me for a quicker one next time :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CraigKirk
Okay, and despite doing these papers are there no improvements?

Assuming they're essay questions, are you reflecting on how you write them? Review your planning ability for each essay and see how you can improve it to put yourself in a better position to write the actual body text of the essay. Then review your structure and see if you can find common arguments that arise in your essays and you can become familiar with them so that you can splurge them out on exam day. Make sure that you're able to quickly write introductions so that you don't get bogged down with 'how do I start?' and do the same for conclusions. If it's taking too long to write your introduction, you can leave the space for one and come back.

Sorry for the slow reply - quote me for a quicker one next time :smile:

I had contemplated writing out answers for questions prior to the exam but I hadn't forgotten about that idea, thank you for reminding me :biggrin:
The main issue is trying to recall it, because it takes me about 10minutes before my brain kicks in and I'm able to comprehend the question and what is being asked of me.
Also I have the issue of knowing when to stop, when I think I've written what is required. Although I suppose that if I write the answers to questions before-hand then I would already know when to stop.

Also don't worry about the late reply, I was at college anyway :smile:

p.s. Thank you for the advice thus far it has honestly been very helpful as I'm one to build on basic ideas as well as being able to I suppose, use it effectively.
Reply 5
What exam board have you got?
Reply 6
Original post by SKPD11
What exam board have you got?

OCR
Reply 7
OCR

Oh right well im on AQA and i struggle with timing as well, so the only thing i would say is keep on doing the questions until your timing improves and if your adding cases try to keep the case facts to a minimum but make sure you put down the legal principles as that is far more important.
Reply 8
Original post by SKPD11
Oh right well im on AQA and i struggle with timing as well, so the only thing i would say is keep on doing the questions until your timing improves and if your adding cases try to keep the case facts to a minimum but make sure you put down the legal principles as that is far more important.

I thought I should just say to you, that you need to go into detail about your cases. My tutor told me today that you have to write atleast two case example, and go into detail with each of them. It's something that has been introduced quite recently that you can only get level 4 (an A or B) by what they refer to as 'developed points' which means you must 'develop' the points you make.

I will say though, this may be specific to OCR or rather exclude AQA from requiring the 'developed points' but I thought I should notify you so you can query your tutor about it to find if you need to do the same thing :smile:.
Reply 9
I thought I should just say to you, that you need to go into detail about your cases. My tutor told me today that you have to write atleast two case example, and go into detail with each of them. It's something that has been introduced quite recently that you can only get level 4 (an A or B) by what they refer to as 'developed points' which means you must 'develop' the points you make.

I will say though, this may be specific to OCR or rather exclude AQA from requiring the 'developed points' but I thought I should notify you so you can query your tutor about it to find if you need to do the same thing :smile:.

Hmm right are you doing As or A2? Because in A2 were not supposed to give any case facts, they just ignore it , but you have to put the principle, In As last year we had to put case facts down but even so only minimal detail is needed. Of course thats only AQA, have know idea about OCR then. But thanks for sharing that anyway, will ask about it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by SKPD11
Hmm right are you doing As or A2? Because in A2 were not supposed to give any case facts, they just ignore it , but you have to put the principle, In As last year we had to put case facts down but even so only minimal detail is needed. Of course thats only AQA, have know idea about OCR then. But thanks for sharing that anyway, will ask about it :smile:

I'm doing AS.
Reply 11
usually in exams you have more time as you are more focused, plus after you've done a lot of past papers you get quicker.
Reply 12
Original post by lucas13
usually in exams you have more time as you are more focused, plus after you've done a lot of past papers you get quicker.

So assuming your advice would just be to do more past papers? or is this just moral support saying that when I get to the actual exam it'll be easier than the past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending