The Student Room Group

Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ttawwab
They shouldn't belong to us anyhow. It's like Argentina owning the Isle of Wight. Ridiculous.

Yeah but the isle of Wight hasn't had just Argentinians living on it for a few hundred years.
Reply 81
Original post by Drewski
Well that's balls, you're the one slamming us for "only having 4 planes", suggesting that "only 1 boat" is pitiful and that 1500 people is tiny. Clearly you believe the military in the South Atlantic to be beyond rubbish.

Numerical superiority and technological superiority are, as I assume you know, not the same thing.

British forces are small enough, and concentrated enough, that a surprise attack could do significant damage to either British air or naval capabilities.

This wouldn't necessarily be worrying if Britain had the capability to easily retake the islands but, considering the lack of an aircraft carrier, this isn't necessarily the case.

It is for these reasons above, along with the threat to British prestige and power, that I feel it necessarily to respond to these relatively minor altercations with a show of force.
Reply 82
Original post by pol pot noodles
Except the Isle of Wight wasn't uninhabitat, then first claimed by an Argentine, colonised by Argentina and it's inhabitants don't today wish to be Argentinian. So no, it's not anything like that at all in the tiniest little inny microscopic slightest. If geographic location was relevant, then I hereby claim the Faroe Islands on behalf of the United Kingdom.

For goodness sake, if you're going to argue, get your facts straight. The French and the Dutch were there first. The British came along later and invaded. So, actually, yes, it IS the "tiniest little inny microscopic slightest" bit like it.

Oh and your Faroe Island comparison? The British weren't there first either, thus we have no claim to it.
Reply 83
Original post by Komnenos
At least you are honest about your overweening, pathetic, completely baseless sense of entitlement.

Firstly, how have you been brainwashed if you, and many others, freely hold and express the opinions you do?

Secondly, how have you been exploited? By being provided with a safe living environment, a strong welfare net, solid education, and the ability to express and develop freely as a person?

Without the British state, this little island would be a backwards, violent, ignorant, little hellhole. Somalia without the heat.

I still buy things. I'm still part of that system. Until I stop completely, and enter into an alternative society, I'm still being brainwashed.

What do you think advertising is? Marketing? The media? People are trying to get you to do things they want you to do without you realising it. You understand this, right? You understand that this HAS to take place for capitalism to work?

In the capitalist world, people are either working for someone else, or have someone else working for them. That is to say; they're either being exploited or exploiting others. Read Marx - I'd start with the Communist Manifesto - to open your mind a little on this subject.

The British State, as a capitalist regime has one primary concern: keeping the bourgeois in power. Whether that's political power or financial power - naturally, they're linked - the end result is the same. The government's purpose isn't to look after people, but to make sure its workers continue to be profitable and cause as little disruption to the lives of the bourgeois as possible.

And you enjoy this? Living like this? You think we should be thankful? You think you're free?

Come on now.
Reply 84
What claim, exactly, do the Argentinians have to the island?

Besides the fact that, in your mind, the British are always in the wrong in any conflict.

Well, that was a massive failure in logic - assuming things I've never said. I never said the Argentinians have a rightful claim, just that the British sure as hell don't.

I also never said that the British are always wrong. Just when we invade and kill innocent settlers for the advancement of the good ol' Empire.
Reply 85
Original post by LordBradburn
Yeah but the isle of Wight hasn't had just Argentinians living on it for a few hundred years.

Ehhh, see my previous replies.
Original post by LordBradburn

Neither have the Falkland Islands. For almost all of their inhabited history, they have been British and inhabited by predominantly British people.
Reply 87
Original post by Rant
I still buy things. I'm still part of that system. Until I stop completely, and enter into an alternative society, I'm still being brainwashed.

What do you think advertising is? Marketing? The media? People are trying to get you to do things they want you to do without you realising it. You understand this, right? You understand that this HAS to take place for capitalism to work?

In the capitalist world, people are either working for someone else, or have someone else working for them. That is to say; they're either being exploited or exploiting others. Read Marx - I'd start with the Communist Manifesto - to open your mind a little on this subject.

The British State, as a capitalist regime has one primary concern: keeping the bourgeois in power. Whether that's political power or financial power - naturally, they're linked - the end result is the same. The government's purpose isn't to look after people, but to make sure its workers continue to be profitable and cause as little disruption to the lives of the bourgeois as possible.

And you enjoy this? Living like this? You think we should be thankful? You think you're free?

Come on now.

We're more free than we would be under a Communist regime. In theory Communisim would be great, but it doesn't work in practice. Do I have to point out that basically every Communist regime has been a dictatorship with massive human rights violations?
Reply 88
Original post by Silkysam
We're more free than we would be under a Communist regime. In theory Communisim would be great, but it doesn't work in practice. Do I have to point out that basically every Communist regime has been a dictatorship with massive human rights violations?

No. Because that's not Communism, it's just dictators using the word. Ignore Stalin, Lenin and friends and go back to Marx.
Reply 89
Original post by Rant
No. Because that's not Communism, it's just dictators using the word. Ignore Stalin, Lenin and friends and go back to Marx.

But it's almost impossible (maybe even impossible) to install a Communist regime without a dictator at the helm. If Communism worked I would be one of the first to want it, it seems like the perfect system but it's just not practical (i.e: too hard to enforce) for a whole country.
Reply 90
Original post by Rant

Even if true communism was possible, you would not be satisfied... You're just arguing for the sake of it.
Reply 91
Numerical superiority and technological superiority are, as I assume you know, not the same thing.

British forces are small enough, and concentrated enough, that a surprise attack could do significant damage to either British air or naval capabilities.

This wouldn't necessarily be worrying if Britain had the capability to easily retake the islands but, considering the lack of an aircraft carrier, this isn't necessarily the case.

It is for these reasons above, along with the threat to British prestige and power, that I feel it necessarily to respond to these relatively minor altercations with a show of force.

Once again, we have T45 air destroyers
Reply 92
Original post by Rant

Come on now.

If you are influenced by advertising, that is your own fault. I buy what I need when I need it and what I want when I can afford it.

This is inherent in human nature. People will always be exploited, the goal is to reduce that exploitation - which is why capitalism works.

Don't patronize me, I've read Marx.

This is meaningless. There is no vast conspiracy to keep the working man down. If people are wealthy in a capitalist system they will naturally want to maintain and increase their wealth, if their are poor they will naturally want to increase their wealth. The beauty of capitalism is that, relative to other economic systems, it allows both groups to accomplish this goal. That is why living standards are so much higher in the West than in the rest of the world. Add in democracy, and you ensure that the working class has enough power to pass things like the NHS, housing benefits, free education, and social security.

I sure as hell don't think capitalism in Britain is perfect, but the answer isn't to replace it with communism. Show me one successful example of a communist state.

I'm freer than I would be under any other system of government, yes.
Reply 93
If you are influenced by advertising, that is your own fault. I buy what I need when I need it and what I want when I can afford it.

This is inherent in human nature. People will always be exploited, the goal is to reduce that exploitation - which is why capitalism works.

This is meaningless. There is no vast conspiracy to keep the working man down. If people are wealthy in a capitalist system they will naturally want to maintain and increase their wealth, if their are poor they will naturally want to increase their wealth. The beauty of capitalism is that, relative to other economic systems, it allows both groups to accomplish this goal. That is why living standards are so much higher in the West than in the rest of the world. Add in democracy, and you ensure that the working class has enough power to pass things like the NHS, housing benefits, free education, and social security.

I sure as hell don't think capitalism in Britain is perfect, but the answer isn't to replace it with communism. Show me one successful example of a communist state.

Your other posts are the posts of an idiot, but I agree with you here.
Reply 94
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Firstly, growing rapidly sounds great untill you remember that it's growing rapidly - from a country that defaulted recently

What do you want to do exactly? we're already at war in several countries

Pull everyone out of the bloodbath in Afghanistan, and send them to the Falklands. I'd rather we defended British territory than someone else's.
Original post by Rant
No, I said I owe the country nothing. The country owes me, yes. You know why that is? Because all of us - assuming we're not born into wealth - are brainwashed and exploited from birth. The country owes me true freedom. It owes me a hell of a lot. And I'll take it.

In which case, it also owes the people of the Falkland Islands. They are British citizens, and have voted repeatedly and overwhelmingly to remain so. Would it bother me personally if the Falklands suddenly came under Argentinian control and our people put in camps? Of course not, I live in London. But then, it wouldn't really affect me if the same happened to Birmingham or Manchester. I'm inclined to agree with you generally about your view on the nationstate, but I certainly believe it has a role to protect its citizens, and that shouldn't be based on how many of them are involved or how close to London they live. They are British citizens, and they deserve as much protection by the British military as I do. It just so happens the threats they face are very different to those I face.
Original post by Hanvyj
Once again, we have T45 air destroyers

Yeah I wouldn't be so confident, they sound good on paper, but my mate was a welder/fabricator on them at them in the scotstoun **** yard, so at least two will have dodgy welding and fabrication ready to fail at any minute throughout lol. :tongue:

No but seriously, nobodys going to mess with a T45 and get away with it. :cool:
Reply 97
Ultimately, if Argentina tried to invade the Falklands, I think we should invoke the nuclear threat. They don't have nukes, and nobody with nukes cares about them enough to back them up against us. Also, we would be backed up by at least 3 of the declared nuclear powers. Argentina would probably also face UN sanctions, so I find it highly unlikely they'll do it.
Reply 98

Capitalism doesn't work. It's dying, right now under your nose.

And if you really believe you're free now... well. Let's see what happens when your society crumbles.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/8938507/Falklands-warning.html

Argentina, like Iran recently, has just committed an act of war against the United Kingdom.

What has been the response? Nothing, yet again.

Another nail in the coffin of British pride and self-respect. How sad.

Whats the point clinging on to a tiny island of sheep halfway accross the globe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending