The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

£300 in my ISA.
£240 in my normal account.

And I'm 18! Working close to full time now so hope to have about £3000 saved for uni (I have high car insurance costs)
Original post by miiiichael_
£300 in my ISA.
£240 in my normal account.

And I'm 18! Working close to full time now so hope to have about £3000 saved for uni (I have high car insurance costs)

what car u got
About £60 in my ISA and £60 in my current account. Pretty abysmal considering I came back from a year backpacking in Australia about 10 months ago with £18k. Even more abysmal considering I don't have a car and I rent my house from my dad at well below market rate, so my expenditure is minimal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
what car u got

Corsa! :smile:
I just got another job on the staff bank for my local NHS trust; a job which should address my monetary needs whilst at university. I keep looking at cars on the Auto Trader website but I've managed to restrain myself thus far.
I currently have £5,300 in my bank hoping to have £11,000 saved by December.
On the other hand I have a £2,000 overdraft maxed out but that doesn't need to be paid off until September 2014.
LOL at the negative rep of every single post where people have over a grand... They are answering the bloody question, not flaunting their apparently massive amounts of cash...
Including maxed out credit cards and an overdraft, about -£4,500

Edit: Still ballin doe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 988
It doesn't matter how much you have, Just go to Africa (Zimbabwe) for that matter and make it rain with your billions (£10 should do the trick, for a comfortable trip)
Reply 989
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
I just got another job on the staff bank for my local NHS trust; a job which should address my monetary needs whilst at university. I keep looking at cars on the Auto Trader website but I've managed to restrain myself thus far.

I saw your nick and I thought it read 'Leave my arce (ar.se) alone'
Does anyone else think about money all the time? For some reason it is taking over my life and its all I think about it when I will have a certain amount or how I will make money. Affecting relationships as I am starting to not want to spend money but I cant work out why.
Reply 991
Original post by Alarae
£750 in Regular Saver.
£2550 in e-savings (moving to Flex account once set up for 5%)

Then the odd £10, £25 and £30 in different accounts.

So about £3350? Hoping to save another £400 or so this month if all goes to plan. Now I work two jobs at six days a week I won't have much time to spend money!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hi5!

Saving money is the way to go!
Reply 992
Original post by a729
Hi5!

*highfives*

It's more to be on an even footing with my boyfriend for a house deposit in a few years, as I want it to be equal. He will get £4000 from his parents towards it, whereas I get nothing.

Plus it doesn't help he is on a full time wage (about 21k) whereas I'm still a student not on a lot! So I need to save early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 993
Original post by Alarae
*highfives*

It's more to be on an even footing with my boyfriend for a house deposit in a few years, as I want it to be equal. He will get £4000 from his parents towards it, whereas I get nothing.

Plus it doesn't help he is on a full time wage (about 21k) whereas I'm still a student not on a lot! So I need to save early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still good habits are best acquired young!

Remember there's a 3 year golden window to get 20% lent by government at super low interest rates!
Reply 994
Original post by a729
Still good habits are best acquired young!

Remember there's a 3 year golden window to get 20% lent by government at super low interest rates!

That's only on new builds I believe though. I live in Reading and there isn't really anywhere for new builds to develop around here unfortunately. Due to the proximity to London we get stung with London prices while not actually being there. Means tiny two bed houses can be worth over 200k when they would be about 120-140k somewhere else in the country :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 995
Original post by Alarae
That's only on new builds I believe though. I live in Reading and there isn't really anywhere for new builds to develop around here unfortunately. Due to the proximity to London we get stung with London prices while not actually being there. Means tiny two bed houses can be worth over 200k when they would be about 120-140k somewhere else in the country :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you could consider other art such as Southampton or even say Dagenham and Barking- the cheapest part of Londo
Reply 996
Original post by a729
Surely you could consider other art such as Southampton or even say Dagenham and Barking- the cheapest part of Londo

Not really an option unfortunately, as I rely on public transport for the foreseeable future and we would like to stay local to the area.

I don't think either of us would like to live in London, too cramped/busy for our liking. Southampton would also be too far away for our work.

Unfortunately moving further afield wouldn't work as any saving would get negated by excessive travel costs :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a729
Hi5!

Original post by Alarae
*highfives*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could meet other people who were as enthusiastic about savings :smile: Definitely the way to go. Most of my mates don't seem to place much value in it, and seem to blow their money almost as soon as they've got it; something I could definitely never bring myself to do.
Reply 998
I wish I could meet other people who were as enthusiastic about savings :smile: Definitely the way to go. Most of my mates don't seem to place much value in it, and seem to blow their money almost as soon as they've got it; something I could definitely never bring myself to do.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do waste money at times, but I need a treat to keep me sane. I will always ensure that my regular saver gets the full amount for that month before I even think about buying myself something.

I will be treating myself to a red leather satchel from Zatchels (£100) in the next month or so... Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 999

Best to have a emergency fund than not!

Latest

Trending

Trending