The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies Unit 3 Thread - Thurs Jan 26th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HP348
I could be wrong but i didnt think you could as there was no initial cost ... unless i missed it in the mass of text.

for the last question i did :smile: i got 5% i think
People have to stop fretting over the calculations.. Q3 (use calculations to support your answer) ok fair enough in this one you can.. Q4 (use numerical EVIDENCE to support your answer) so this was for the proposal..

Ok I took a view on this.. its asking for Evidence for the proposal to go ahead and not go ahead..
Did anyone bother looking at the graphs.. the average age of the 45-65 year old population is set to rise from 25% in 2014 to 30% in 2019.. which gives the firm a huge target market.. (This is evidence).. Also, did anyone see the forecast for the smart phone industry, raising from about 6 billion to 7 billion.. (or something like that?) more evidence on why he should do this.. Thats what the question was asking for Numerical EVIDENCE the previous 18 marker was asking for Calculations :smile:.. Anyways this isn't all I wrote I'm just giving some ideas for the people that are fretting over the calculations don't worry you'll be fine! :smile:
Reply 382
Original post by AJMc
Initial cost was £10m, think i got 5% for ARR.
The data was provided by David, who has no financial background, so was unreliable. That's what I put anyway haha

ARHHAR

**** I got -5%

I added the fixed costs of one million and assumed a cash flow of 10 years.

So I included - Initial capital outlay as well as fixed costs of 10 million, then went through the whole of ARR like usual. But the extra 10 million has seen the overall % go down by exactly 10%

Hopefully my sloppy handwriting will mean the examiner doesnt see my " - " infront of the 5!

Also did you do payback? I got 6 years and 8 months.

Did anyone mention Ansoff a bit in the final answer/Q4? As it was an example of Product Developement? And how they should use it to advance their strategies in implementing the new product?
Reply 383
Even if you got the calculation incorrect you will only loose out on 1-2 marks as long as you applied the correct knowledge and application to your incorrect calculation
Reply 384
Original post by saggy8

Original post by saggy8
Am I the only one that worked out payback period for the final question? The payback period for the smartphone project was 20 years so I put this as a reason against the project

Iam confused was a cash flow table given??
because in order to work either ARR or Payback dont you need the cash flow/ total net return?? pls help :frown:
Reply 385
Original post by thairshan

Original post by thairshan
because in order to work either ARR or Payback dont you need the cash flow/ total net return?? pls help :frown:

And i am write to talk about for question 4 that one reason for is that a full marketing campign was given by supplier and this was vital because Scotts elecontirc plc is entering a new segment with a new product (asnoff) as a result i would say a significant amount of risk involved and thats why i marketing campign would be useful as it would help maximise the overall sales of the firm and subsequently profits
Reply 386
for smartphone proposal= increasing market value and approach by supermarket.
against smartphone proposal= current capacity level and competition.
Would i get the marks for discussing these?
Original post by ngnav

I wrote increasing market value as one of my 'FOR's :smile: not sure about the others though..
Original post by saggy8
Even if you got the calculation incorrect you will only loose out on 1-2 marks as long as you applied the correct knowledge and application to your incorrect calculation

Really!? How do you know? :s-smilie:
Original post by Andrew1994
Really!? How do you know? :s-smilie:

To be honest, They are looking for your knowledge on how to analyse the case study and pick it apart making sure that the main issues are addressed. If you have done this then you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 390
because in order to work either ARR or Payback dont you need the cash flow/ total net return?? pls help

Nope, no cash-flow table is needed to work out payback, all that is needed is the initial investment and the average annual profit.
To find out the annual profit you had to times the variable cost/product by 30,000 (the amount of products estimated to be sold each year) this came to £1.5m + fixed cost (£1m) = £2.5m annual cost and the annual revenue was £3m giving annual profits of £500,000. This diveded by the initial investment is 20 years

However, I may be wrong- I hope not!
Original post by ngnav

Glad someone else has done the bit about capacity utilisation! makes me a bit happier now! did you talk about how the factory could hold 500,000 and that they were working at a rate of 90% and argued the fact there were projected sales of 30,000?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 392
Original post by charlie9872
Glad someone else has done the bit about capacity utilisation! makes me a bit happier now! did you talk about how the factory could hold 500,000 and that they were working at a rate of 90% and argued the fact there were projected sales of 30,000?

did this.
Original post by Princess123BG
FAM i did better than you, why you hyping

Sorry but last time I checked, results don't come out for another six weeks... so how can you be sure as to just how amazing you did in this exam?!
Reply 394
I feel that my points against for q4 were pretty poor. How many marks do people think I'd get if both points against the proposalwere invalid :/
Reply 395
I thought this went really well at the time, but am a little worried as I didn't use current ratio, ROCE or gearing at all in the paper.

For question 4, I put:
+ extensive marketing paid for by supermarket, potential for growth.
+ Smartphone market continually growing.
+ 45-65 demographic growing up to 30% in 2019.
+ Primary research requirements of price, appearance and brand are all met well.
+ There is enough capacity in existing factory to accomodate it (taking CU up to 96%).

- £500,000 a year is not a huge amount of profit in regards to the investment.
- Payback period of 20 years is unviable in changing market.
- Hiring lots of highly-paid young graduates may demotivate existing workers in the British base.
- Goes against the company's history and experience. Ansoff's matrix - most risk.
- Goes against primary research of 'not interested in sophisticated technology'.

Conclusion:
.Not financially viable payback period
.Too much risk for a potentially small gain
.Could follow Nokia into emerging markets with existing products instead?
Reply 396
Original post by BusinessJ

Original post by BusinessJ
I thought this went really well at the time, but am a little worried as I didn't use current ratio, ROCE or gearing at all in the paper.

For question 4, I put:
+ extensive marketing paid for by supermarket, potential for growth.
+ Smartphone market continually growing.
+ 45-65 demographic growing up to 30% in 2019.
+ Primary research requirements of price, appearance and brand are all met well.
+ There is enough capacity in existing factory to accomodate it (taking CU up to 96%).

- £500,000 a year is not a huge amount of profit in regards to the investment.
- Payback period of 20 years is unviable in changing market.
- Hiring lots of highly-paid young graduates may demotivate existing workers in the British base.
- Goes against the company's history and experience. Ansoff's matrix - most risk.
- Goes against primary research of 'not interested in sophisticated technology'.

Conclusion:
.Not financially viable payback period
.Too much risk for a potentially small gain
.Could follow Nokia into emerging markets with existing products instead?

I agree with you on most points :smile: but wasn't it product development according to Ansoff? as they are already in the mobile manufacturing business, and are aiming for relatively the same market just a smaller portion, i wouldn't say its diversification.
Reply 397
Original post by darkblue

Original post by darkblue
did this.

woo i did this too :biggrin:
Original post by Hollz♥
I agree with you on most points :smile: but wasn't it product development according to Ansoff? as they are already in the mobile manufacturing business, and are aiming for relatively the same market just a smaller portion, i wouldn't say its diversification.

I think I writ market development instead of product development :mad:
HELP!

For the 36 Mark my points were:

For: Growing target market ect and my second point was Differentiation can be rewarding and increase profitability reducing pressures from shareholders.

Against: Market Research may not be reliable enough (As target market continues to grow, these people were once younger and may prefer sophisticated phones, rather than less sophisticated ones by the current people that age) and my second point was that it's too risky (Complete differentiation and changing HR employment structure, too many things at once will cause problems ect.)

BUT I DIDN'T MENTION THE SUPERMARKET! I don't know why I just blanked out of this..will I be losing marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending