The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 1 - 12th Jan 2011

Hey people

Does anyone have ANY idea what the 24 mark questions will most likely be on?

Oh, and what topics are you guys revising? Are there any that I MUST do?

So far I've done the whole Couples topic.

I've been told to revise Social Policy and Family Diversity as a must, but is this true?

Cheers guys
Reply 1
Original post by lace-rules
Hey people

Does anyone have ANY idea what the 24 mark questions will most likely be on?

Oh, and what topics are you guys revising? Are there any that I MUST do?

So far I've done the whole Couples topic.

I've been told to revise Social Policy and Family Diversity as a must, but is this true?

Cheers guys

I took this exam last year. My advice is to revise ALL topics because you cannot really predict what comes up.
Reply 2
Original post by Freiheit
I took this exam last year. My advice is to revise ALL topics because you cannot really predict what comes up.

All these topics interlink anyway so revision shouldnt be excessive.

What about exam questions? When you sat your paper, were the questions different to previous years?

I havent had a chance to look at past papers yet
Reply 3
All these topics interlink anyway so revision shouldnt be excessive.

What about exam questions? When you sat your paper, were the questions different to previous years?

I havent had a chance to look at past papers yet

Past papers made me see through the exam board's tricks so you right an essay while knowing roughly what the examiner is looking for and you have seen a similar question before. You also know what studies/sociologists to use for which questions. To be honest, I don't think anyone who else who had an A, wrote their essay in the exam by "freestyling" which means coming up with ideas for an essay question they have not answered before using a similar question. On my exam, the essay titles where similar to one from 2004 and 2002.
Reply 4
What exactly do we have to know about culture and identity? I get everything but the way we got taught was in a really random order so I'm not exactly what to include or whe it fits in :s if that makes any sense, does anyone have some sort of checklist?
Hey sociology people!
Ive just set up a twitter account for you to tweet me with any sociology questions you have Alevel or GCSE. I can't promise i can answer them all but I will try my best. I'm a third year sociology student at university and will do my best to answer any questions you have, no matter how silly they are. Need marxism explaining simply? different types of feminism? the term 'value freedom' ...anything at all, just ask away. Cheers and good luck

heres the link : http://twitter.com/#!/sociologytweet
Reply 6
Anyone got any ideas what the 24 markers might be?
Reply 7
Anyone got any ideas what the 24 markers might be?

Depends which section you're doing
Reply 8
How did you guys find the exam yesterday?

I thought it was brilliant.

I did families and households, and talked about loads of shiz!

Both questions were brill!

why the family size has changed in the past 100 years:

birth rate lower and all the factors thats caused (e.g. imr, healthcare etc), and the effects its had.
death rate the same leading to ageism in society.
new right view vs feminist view
women working (more women childless/having children later)

and i mentioned a couple more other things, but i kinda cant remember what i wrote. Just had a politics exam at 1:30, and my brains fried! xD

Also the "how social policy changed the family" question was wicked
- new right
- functionalism
- new labour
- marxism
- feminism
- divorce reform act
- civil partnership act
- equal pay act
- women working (better education/opportunities/less children or having the little buggers later)
- also mentioned individual arguments between theories.

So yeah :biggrin:
Reply 9
lace rules im not sure weather you are referring to the social policy or family size question?

i'm guessing the social policy one is what you're on about. your essay looks good, my mock exam was on the same question which was lucky and when we had it marked you're pretty much down with what you put. the only thing you could of added extra according to my teacher is extreme examples such as chinas one child policy, abolishing the family in the ussr and nazi germany and it's control on disabled births and propaganda on women who had kids.
Reply 10
The sociology exam was quite hard.
I did families and households and the last question on government policies caught me out.
Inshallah(meaning if god wills) I get an B.

Any ideas on what you guys wrote when you did the exam.
Reply 11
Original post by m.asim
The sociology exam was quite hard.
I did families and households and the last question on government policies caught me out.
Inshallah(meaning if god wills) I get an B.

Any ideas on what you guys wrote when you did the exam.

yeah i thought the second question was good, the first one caught me! i started writing about birth and death rates, then crossed it out, and started writing about
divorce and how it has caused smaller family sizes, then the fem movements, 2004 civil partnership act which allowed gays and bisexuals to have same rights. And i completely forgot to put down ageing population, and anything on birth and death rates!arghhhhhhhh! i just wish i get a C/ B from that :/:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending