The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology A level

I haven't taken sociology at gcse so I was wondering what it is like to study sociology at a level.Is it very difficult or moderately difficult?I've looked at other posts regarding this but everything seems outdated.
I also did sociology A level having not done it at GCSE and found that, although it's content-heavy, it's quite straightforward
Is it hard to do well in sociology.Also are the exam structures for the essays difficult?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Charlotteshay
Is it hard to do well in sociology.Also are the exam structures for the essays difficult?

I personally found that achieving high marks/grades was very manageable
In terms of the exam structure, each topic has a key question within it and the core debates can be applied to each topic so as long as you are able to identify these then the longer questions are straightforward
There is a slight paragraph structure though you have the flexibility to adapt it
There's a range of types of questions ranging from 4 marks to 30 marks so there is a balance between short answers and essays
Hope this answers your question
I also didn’t do sociology as a gcse completely. I chose it at first but it was soooo boring so I left after 1 week. I then chose it for alevel and it turns out it became my favourite subject. The content is straightforward and despite not doing it for gcses I still got the highest marks. Essay wise if you’re confident in producing essays, perhaps you’re planning on taking essay based subjects, it’s really easy. And even though I didn’t work hard at all I managed so I think you should be fine. At first I was a little confused partly because one of my teachers wasn’t that great but overtime it got really easy. Good luck! Also I’m not sure what topics your school covers, mine were crime, beliefs (which is probably the hardest in comparison, family and education which were the easiest.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SB1234567890
I personally found that achieving high marks/grades was very manageable
In terms of the exam structure, each topic has a key question within it and the core debates can be applied to each topic so as long as you are able to identify these then the longer questions are straightforward
There is a slight paragraph structure though you have the flexibility to adapt it
There's a range of types of questions ranging from 4 marks to 30 marks so there is a balance between short answers and essays
Hope this answers your question

Thanks i found this helpful.
Original post by Ahjjjkkk
I also didn’t do sociology as a gcse completely. I chose it at first but it was soooo boring so I left after 1 week. I then chose it for alevel and it turns out it became my favourite subject. The content is straightforward and despite not doing it for gcses I still got the highest marks. Essay wise if you’re confident in producing essays, perhaps you’re planning on taking essay based subjects, it’s really easy. And even though I didn’t work hard at all I managed so I think you should be fine. At first I was a little confused partly because one of my teachers wasn’t that great but overtime it got really easy. Good luck! Also I’m not sure what topics your school covers, mine were crime, beliefs (which is probably the hardest in comparison, family and education which were the easiest.

So would it go well with other essay subjects.
i did it at gcse and picked it for a level thinking it would easy, it is not at all. there are hundreds, no joke, of sociologist names you will have to remember. plus multiple 20 mark essays and a 30 marker all in one exam (like 1,1/2/2 pages of writing each)

i dont find the essays hard to write if you know the content, and you get taught exam structure over and over until its second nature, but remembering all of those names is not easy and you need to be super on it with your timing in exams

i enjoy actually learning the subject, but a few friends that do it really dont and they find it much harder so you also need to be really sure you want to do it and will enjoy it if you’re gonna put the work in

also doing 3 essay subjects and i love writing so it isn’t too much of a problem for me, but make sure you know your limits. gcse to a level is possibly the biggest jump in your education, the amount of content is insane and it wont be easy, dont put too much pressure on yourself!
Original post by aaamilah
also doing 3 essay subjects and i love writing so it isn’t too much of a problem for me, but make sure you know your limits. gcse to a level is possibly the biggest jump in your education, the amount of content is insane and it wont be easy, dont put too much pressure on yourself!

what subjects do you do?
what subjects do you do?

sociology, english and crim which is definitely the easiest and least essay based, but the first unit is very essay heavy

Definitely at least for me since I did geography (my other sub was art so kind of useless). I’ve linked so many aspects as part of ao2.

As another user commented learning sociologists names is difficult. In year 12 I really struggled but towards the end of yr13 u begin to remember since most of the sociologist reappear and have associations with certain school of thoughts. Also even if u don’t remeber their names you can still get ao2 marks if you give examples or just use a generic name such as Marx for Marxist concepts. Usually mark schemes only have a few sociologist names most of which I’ve never heard of so I actually don’t think it’s the end of the world if u put the wrong name since I’ve done that multiple times in my mocks in major sections. Also I tend to scribble the name since I have terrible handwriting so it blends in (I wouldn’t recommend this but last resort, I know for psych you definitely cannot do this).

If you do end up taking it I’d love to offer help (where it’s possible if the topics are the same or exam practice If it’s aqa ), other than that good luck on ur choice.

What other subs are you planning on taking?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ahjjjkkk
Definitely at least for me since I did geography (my other sub was art so kind of useless). I’ve linked so many aspects as part of ao2.

As another user commented learning sociologists names is difficult. In year 12 I really struggled but towards the end of yr13 u begin to remember since most of the sociologist reappear and have associations with certain school of thoughts. Also even if u don’t remeber their names you can still get ao2 marks if you give examples or just use a generic name such as Marx for Marxist concepts. Usually mark schemes only have a few sociologist names most of which I’ve never heard of so I actually don’t think it’s the end of the world if u put the wrong name since I’ve done that multiple times in my mocks in major sections. Also I tend to scribble the name since I have terrible handwriting so it blends in (I wouldn’t recommend this but last resort, I know for psych you definitely cannot do this).

If you do end up taking it I’d love to offer help (where it’s possible (same topics), other than that good luck on ur choice.

What other subs are you planning on taking?

English language and law.

Oh I’m not sure about these options my school didn’t offer them but I believe law may link quite a bit. If you do crime and Deviance most of it is linked to legislations. Also social policies come into theory and methods (which everyone does), education, and can be implemented into crime too.

Also I’m assuming if includes a lot of writing so it’ll help with time management during exams
(edited 1 year ago)

these subjects might actually work quite well, english language has quite a few crossovers with sociology on the theory & child language side and there is a crime unit in sociology which links to law, the only thing is the heaviness of law & sociology together but i’m sure you would adjust by year 13 and the writing skills would be very beneficial in uni
these subjects might actually work quite well, english language has quite a few crossovers with sociology on the theory & child language side and there is a crime unit in sociology which links to law, the only thing is the heaviness of law & sociology together but i’m sure you would adjust by year 13 and the writing skills would be very beneficial in uni

How is it like doing both English language and sociology.
How is it like doing both English language and sociology.

i love it! i do enjoy writing so the amount of essays don’t bother me, and there is a lot of crossover between the two. the theory side of english language is largely about how society influences language which is obviously very prevalent in sociology and the child language in y13 is also a lot of sociology. the analysing side for paper 1 one of the features you look at is lexis which is the reasons behind word choice which are usually very much based on their social standing etc. the writing in english really helps prepare for sociology’s essays too. you also get to do your own language investigation as part of the coursework in english which you can do on pretty much anything and is usually about identifying features and why they are used due to social theory reasons.

i find it really fun and i think its a great combo :smile:
Reply 17
i love it! i do enjoy writing so the amount of essays don’t bother me, and there is a lot of crossover between the two. the theory side of english language is largely about how society influences language which is obviously very prevalent in sociology and the child language in y13 is also a lot of sociology. the analysing side for paper 1 one of the features you look at is lexis which is the reasons behind word choice which are usually very much based on their social standing etc. the writing in english really helps prepare for sociology’s essays too. you also get to do your own language investigation as part of the coursework in english which you can do on pretty much anything and is usually about identifying features and why they are used due to social theory reasons.

i find it really fun and i think its a great combo :smile:

Hi there I’m thinking of doing either ocr law or aqa sociology btw I don’t wanna do like loads of memorising and writing because I do business studies for a level and economics and love and have passion for both and have to pick 1 more and I’m thinking of geography sociology or law I want the ez subjects to get top grade which is focus

Quick Reply

Latest