The Student Room Group

Which are the best universities for studying law in France

Scroll to see replies

That depends were, to enter Prépa it should be too late, I think, or maybe not, but I remember it was somehow January.
Original post by xmarilynx
Panthéon-Sorbonne and Assass have by far the best rep for law. After that you'll need to look at factors other than reputation as there's very little, if anything, between them.

France doesn't really have 'prestigious' universities. La fac is for everybody (apart from one or two rare exceptions like Dauphine) so the clever Oxbridge style people go to the grandes écoles, which don't offer Law. Sciences Po has a law department, but I don't think they offer a three year law degree.

France does have prestigious universities. Especially Assas to which not every one can apply. Masters' Degree are the most important in France and those of Assas, as well as Panthéon Sorbonne or Dauphine (for financial, banking and fiscal law) are very selective at this level (most undergrad students don't succeed in staying in their university for their Master's Degree).
Original post by gardenstate
France does have prestigious universities. Especially Assas to which not every one can apply. Masters' Degree are the most important in France and those of Assas, as well as Panthéon Sorbonne or Dauphine (for financial, banking and fiscal law) are very selective at this level (most undergrad students don't succeed in staying in their university for their Master's Degree).

I did clearly state that there were some exceptions, and that some universities are selective, including all of those that you mentioned. If you re-read my post, you will see that I agree that Panthéon Sorbonne and Assass have the best reputation for law, and that some others including Dauphine are also selective.

However, the whole of France does not revolve around Paris : while we do have some selective universities here this is the exception rather than the rule. No one says, for example, that the Université de Rennes is more prestigious than Toulouse, or Strasbourg harder to get into than Aix (to pick some random examples). Compare that to the UK system, where there is a very set order for the prestige and competitiveness of all universities both on a national and international scale. The truth is that 95% of French universities are not selective at undergraduate level and with the exception of certain subjects (Law, Medicine) the brightest students generally choose the prépa --- grand école route.

The aim of my post wasn't to criticise all French universities or cast doubt over the prestige of individual ones, simply to show the OP, who is presumably familiar with the British system, that prestige is less of a factor here in France. As for masters, I guess I'll find out in a few years time :wink:
I think we can all come to the conclusion, that the French system is somehow complicated. :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by Nathanielle
I think we can all come to the conclusion, that the French system is somehow complicated. :wink:

Indeed! :rolleyes:
Oh my god, your education doesn't depend only on the fact, that your university has high entrance requirements.

I definitely agree with you on both points :yy:
Reply 26
What are the 'grands écoles'? Are they the same as universities?

:s-smilie:
Reply 27
Ok probably that topic is old but I need to ask some questions.

I am doing A levels and I am wondering if it is viable to enter in sorbonne?

My other question is, I am not bad in French in contrary I am good and very fluent but since I want to major in international law, does that mean I will also have English courses included or is it all french?
Original post by d.luffy
Ok probably that topic is old but I need to ask some questions.

I am doing A levels and I am wondering if it is viable to enter in sorbonne?

My other question is, I am not bad in French in contrary I am good and very fluent but since I want to major in international law, does that mean I will also have English courses included or is it all french?

It's a normal law degree for the first 2 years, and you can then apply to major in International Law in your third year. If selected, you have one course per semester in English Law. Throughout the three years you can study a foreign language (including English), but otherwise everything is taught in French.
Reply 29
It's a normal law degree for the first 2 years, and you can then apply to major in International Law in your third year. If selected, you have one course per semester in English Law. Throughout the three years you can study a foreign language (including English), but otherwise everything is taught in French.

Ah i see, so it is also 3 years instead of 4?

And what about the entrance? do they accept A levels? because i can't seem to find anything in their wbesite.
Original post by d.luffy
Ah i see, so it is also 3 years instead of 4?

And what about the entrance? do they accept A levels? because i can't seem to find anything in their wbesite.

Yeah, all undergraduate degrees in France last 3 years. If you're from outside the EU then afaik you need to apply through CampusFrance.
Reply 31
Yeah, all undergraduate degrees in France last 3 years. If you're from outside the EU then afaik you need to apply through CampusFrance.

I have a swiss passport but I am following UK's curriculum.. which is A levels, yet how do I apply through campus frnace?
Original post by d.luffy
I have a swiss passport but I am following UK's curriculum.. which is A levels, yet how do I apply through campus frnace?

In that case you'll most likely need to apply through application postbac (basically the French equivalent of UCAS). You can find more information here.

Edit: Scrap that, just looked at their website. You have to register online and then post your application to them. See here for info and here to start your application.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi, I'd really like to apply to sorbonne but I'm not sure how the application system works. I dropped out of uni so I could pursue my law degree abroad; preferably France! Someone help lol
Reply 34
Hello i am interested in studying law in france. can you please tell me the general entry requirement to pe accepted and how far is my chance to be accepted there is?? I am actually in A level ( terminal) do they teach in english?? thank you
Original post by chimimi
Hello i am interested in studying law in france. can you please tell me the general entry requirement to pe accepted and how far is my chance to be accepted there is??

We don't even know your grades. You have to ask them. Maybe they will only accept a certain combination of A Levels. It should be easier to get in, than to stay in.

I am actually in A level ( terminal) do they teach in english?

No, you won't find a pure law course teached in English. It is French Law, not English Law. Learning it in English would be quite senseless.
Reply 36
Thank you, i hope to be admitted there
Reply 37
do they need specific subject at A level?
Assas is the best one in terms of teaching, it's really hard though but you get the best teaching with the best teachers and courses are really intense. I must say that it's quite easy to get in but not easy to stay.
Plus, If you are into a nice uni, to meet people etc, I'll go for la sorbonne, assas is really competitive and not really friendly.
To conclude, you really have to choose what you are looking for.
Reply 39
Original post by z0tx
Not sure who are talking to, but in answer to your question: Oxford asks for 15/20, Cambridge asks for 16/20-17/20 depending on the subject. So no, 15/20 isn't too low for Oxford (see here).

Dude 15 is not enough for Oxford... I was in France for high school and am currently studying in the U.K. To enroll you have to use the UCAS system through which you must send a personal statement as well as "predicted grades" from one of your high school teachers. If the forecast says that you can get at least 15/20 on average, the Uni will send you an offer. The standard contract is that you must then get at least a "mention très bien" (16/20) with certain grades (normally around 17-18) in key modules relating to the degree you applied for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending