The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is reading university good for law

Hey everyone I was just wondering if Readin uni was good for law. Is it multicultural, is the city itself good, good shopping, clubs etc. Does the uni have a good reputation for law and is the employment prospect good? (very important). Thanks for the help and all will be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You will never get a job in the legal sector with a degree from Reading.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Really, how come
Don't ever listen to anything Jakko says. Nobody does.
Original post by Jakko247
You will never get a job in the legal sector with a degree from Reading.

A degree from Reading can be used in the legal sector. I can't be bothered to look right now because i'm studying (supposed to be) but I've seen on some Chambers' websites and legal firms' websites many graduates from Reading. It may be tougher than going to a RG or one of the top 10's, it is however still possible.

It belongs to the 1994 group of research intensive universities, which encompasses Queen Mary, Birkbeck, Durham, SOAS, UEA etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
It's mediocre.

The legal profession is archaic in that the perceived "prestige" of a university is often important. That said, it's not as important as being a skilled lawyer and excelling in exams - as shown by the presence in Chambers of Barristers from London South Bank.

Somewhere like Southampton would be a better alternative if you're not contemplating the very top flight (i.e. Oxbridge/UCL/LSE) or those just below (i.e. KCL, Manchester, Nottingham, Warwick, Durham etc)
Reply 6
I've also got offers from Cardiff and Leicster but I need 3 A's but at the moment I'm on 2A's, B and a C. I dont think I'll get 3 A's so I need an alternative. So reading isn't the best
Reply 7
Original post by paddy__power
Don't ever listen to anything Jakko says. Nobody does.

Yeah, he should most definately listen to a virtual prime minister though!
Nah, reading University is where you go to learn how to read, its kinda like a nursery type set-up they have. You want to go to Law university.
Easy mistake.

LMAO

On another note, if you can, aim for Cardiff.
Reply 10
Original post by ishq
I've also got offers from Cardiff and Leicster but I need 3 A's but at the moment I'm on 2A's, B and a C. I dont think I'll get 3 A's so I need an alternative. So reading isn't the best

Cardiff would be a strong choice.

Reading wouldn't be a bad insurance choice, but as has been mentioned, it's a mediocre university!

My comment about the impossibility of getting a job with a Reading degree was alas', a joke.

Very poor comeback.

Not that we expect anything better from you :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Very poor comeback.

Not that we expect anything better from you :rolleyes:

Hey hey, don't go into a nerd rage and like, virtually dissolve Parliament or something....

That wouldn't be conducive to the online community's interests! Now you're PM you have to think about these things :wink:
Hey hey, don't go into a nerd rage and like, virtually dissolve Parliament or something....

I now have to clean my Macbook Pro. I spat coke onto my screen.
Reply 14
Why is it a mediocre university for, I've heard positive things but now I'm a bit on the edge
Reply 15
Well the international law firm that my Mum works for has taken three graduates from Reading, this year as trainees. So clearly a degree from Reading can get you through the door. I know people with Law 2:1's from Bristol and Oxford who have struggled to get any legal work, to being complacent and not getting the necessary experience and intern ships to get anywhere. Though the Law department in Reading from what I hear is a bit of a shambles. Lectures being absent and ill for weeks and no one found to fill there place etc...
If you prefer Cardiff, why not firm them and put Reading as your insurance? If you don't get AAA then it would be much better to go to Reading than nowhere - you can't be a lawyer without a degree!

Also, can you drop the subject you think you'll get a C in so that you can focus on getting AAA instead of AAB?

That wouldn't be conducive to the online community's interests! Now you're PM you have to think about these things :wink:

Is that the best you have? You're a big headed (literally) cock who just about nobody likes because you spend your time talking copious amounts of **** to anyone who bothers to listen. Now you have your little group of followers or w/e but it doesn't make you any less of a cock. You were ok when you first joined, but then you changed into whatever pile of nonsense you are now.

If someone makes a thread asking serious questions then making a comment like that, joke or not, just makes you look like a prick. It's exactly why you were bullied in the box. If you know half as much as you think you do about anything (you don't) then use it to help people and not be a massive nescient ****.

Edit: You were a member of TSR labour until I kicked you out and were thus allied to the TSR Politics you mock. Tard. :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Ow cool cool kingpin, obviously absent lecturers aren't good, and angelmxxx Im just not sure if I can get 3 A's and it's the last year and my final exams are in a month so I don't think its worthwhile dropping the C subject
Reply 19
Is that the best you have? You're a big headed (literally) cock who just about nobody likes because you spend your time talking copious amounts of **** to anyone who bothers to listen. Now you have your little group of followers or w/e but it doesn't make you any less of a cock. You were ok when you first joined, but then you changed into whatever pile of nonsense you are now.

If someone makes a thread asking serious questions then making a comment like that, joke or not, just makes you look like a prick. It's exactly why you were bullied in the box. If you know half as much as you think you do about anything (you don't) then use it to help people and not be a massive nescient ****.

Edit: You were a member of TSR labour until I kicked you out and were thus allied to the TSR Politics you mock. Tard. :facepalm:

Hahaha, I like you a lot paddy__power. That'll be all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending