The Student Room Group

Funding during and after an intercalated degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiallMcCann256
Anyone any knowledge of whether the same process applies for intercalating into a Masters Degree??

Think very carefully about doing a Masters. You get nothing for an intercalated Masters from student finance and no help towards tuition fees (unless you intercalate after fourth year in which case you get £3000ish towards fees from the NHS). Remember a masters costs a lot more than a BSc in most cases.

I was lucky enough to have my fees paid by my parents for my masters and get a partial bursary provided by the med school. However, the intensity and length of the course (it overlapped with our Medicine fourth year by a month or thereabouts) may preclude working. This of course depends on your supervisor, project, course etc. My finances took a dire hit, especially because I fall into the middle income bracket where I get nothing much from NHS bursaries, and a reduced student finance to go along with it. In hindsight though I had a great supervisor who ensured I got multiple publications and presentation. Most people on my course however didn't get hard outputs to my knowledge and if I had been in that position, I'd be regretting my decision to intercalate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending