The Student Room Group

I'm thinking of dropping out of Medical school

Hi,

I'm in my 2nd year of med school (3 years left) and I've been debating leaving for a while now. I find the course very hard and I constantly feel like I don't understand it and in turn it means I don't really enjoy anything being taught. I find it very difficult to remain motivated for 3 more years of study if it's going to stay like this.

I'm very hesitant as I'm weary that I've invested 2 years of my time and money into something that would become totally useless and I don't want to feel like I've just wasted 2 years of my life. My decision to choose medicine as a degree wasn't very well informed and I was only 17 at the time not really understanding what I'd be getting into and never really considered other degrees as its what I thought someone who's fairly smart does.

Now I have been thinking I would enjoy a degree more in the realms of Biology/geography/zoology or that kind of area. But again I'm hesitant as I know medicine will go directly to a well paid job whereas the others don't have that same guarantee.

Has anyone done this before or know anyone who has, or just generally any thoughts in general. Thanks x
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Hi, I am sorry that you are experiencing this.

Unfortunately I am not a med student so I cant give any sound advice but hope you get some advice which helps you forge a clear path forward.

I think that people in the current med school students and doctors sub forum might be best placed to help you.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=356

Have a look there because I have no doubt that there are others who have felt the same way.

Perhaps @_Rusty_ or others might be able to move your post over to it so that it can have greater visibility.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
Original post by elliottboi
Hi,

I'm in my 2nd year of med school (3 years left) and I've been debating leaving for a while now. I find the course very hard and I constantly feel like I don't understand it and in turn it means I don't really enjoy anything being taught. I find it very difficult to remain motivated for 3 more years of study if it's going to stay like this.

I'm very hesitant as I'm weary that I've invested 2 years of my time and money into something that would become totally useless and I don't want to feel like I've just wasted 2 years of my life. My decision to choose medicine as a degree wasn't very well informed and I was only 17 at the time not really understanding what I'd be getting into and never really considered other degrees as its what I thought someone who's fairly smart does.

Now I have been thinking I would enjoy a degree more in the realms of Biology/geography/zoology or that kind of area. But again I'm hesitant as I know medicine will go directly to a well paid job whereas the others don't have that same guarantee.

Has anyone done this before or know anyone who has, or just generally any thoughts in general. Thanks x

Hey, I'm sort of going in the opposite direction, so maybe I can help a little. I did an undergraduate and PhD in biological/earth sciences, and now I've decided I want to go into healthcare field (not medicine, rather dentistry or pharmacy, since at least from what I've read and seen the life/work balance of medicine is not for me).

I guess the most important question to ask (and I wish schools would ask this of all pupils, since I would have benefited from it a lot too) is do you know where your degree will lead?

With a vocational degree like medicine/veterinary/dentistry/pharmacy that is obvious (although you can pursue other options as well).

With a general science degree it is more open ended, and this can be good or bad depending on what you want to do. Say you do a biology degree, what exactly is a biologist? Often the jobs people take after completing a general science degree will have nothing to do with what they studied, some could go into the civil service, publishing, administration, I've heard of some who went into banking. If you want to stay where the science is though, the main path would be academia, which means further study (Bsc -> Msc -> PhD -> post doc -> hopefully a lectureship). The path of academia can be incredibly rewarding but it can also be a bumpy one with lots of uncertainty; PhDs and post doc positions are very competitive, you may have years between them where you have to find other work before trying again. Some post doc positions will only last 18 months, which means you will have to start thinking about applying for the next one while you're still working, and may have to move across the country or even between countries. But in the end it can be very rewarding, my professors are well renown within their fields, have many books and papers published and they have a great income. I personally decided though that I didn't want that uncertainty, I wanted a job that I knew would stay fixed in one area of the country so that I can work doing something I enjoy, but also make time for my own creative pursuits like creative writing and illustration, and not worry about the competitive world of academia.

I think the most important question you need to ask yourself is: what is it you enjoy doing that you find most rewarding? (Is it the science? Interacting with people? Do you have a special interest in biology/geography/zoology that you wanted to pursue?)
(edited 1 year ago)
The important thing you need to keep in mind: if you leave a medicine degree for normally any reason, you will not be able to study medicine in the UK again. You will be effectively blacklisted by all UK medical schools, as they all have policies prohibiting students who previously did not complete a medical degree (sometimes with a clause for extraordinary extenuating circumstances, although this is rarer) from being considered for admission again. So make sure you are certain you don't want to continue in medicine, because withdrawing is a one way process for medicine.

Something else that is important to note is that also, as you are 2 years into your degree, any full time degree you start now from 1st year you will need to self fund the tuition fees at least the 1st year of that course, as you won't have enough SFE entitlement to cover the full new course. This is a big financial commitment, and it will always be the 1st year in the new course that you have to self fund (never the last year or any other year). So you will need those funds up front when you start the new course, unless you can negotiate a payment plan with the uni offering the new course. Thus it may be better to complete the MBBS or withdraw at a set exit point where you may graduate with a degree (e.g. after intercalating if your uni offers it) than starting a whole new degree.

Some things to consider as well are that you are only in the preclinical years of your course, and you may find the clinical placements much different (and possibly improved) from your current experiences; you may be able to intercalate in one of those other subject options; some of those you may be able to continue into graduate study for once you graduate from the MBBS even without intercalating in the area first. So continuing a medical degree doesn't necessarily rule out those fields from an academic perspective. Obviously though, if there are issues with the medical course itself that is a consideration.

I would recommend in the first instance you discuss with your personal tutor on the course what you are finding challenging on the course currently, and exit routes from the degree otherwise just so you are aware of your options. You might also find it helpful to discuss with others on the higher years of your course whether their experiences changed/improved over the course too. I gather the preclinical years are very different to the clinical phase of the course and some people don't really enjoy the preclinical years that much compared to being more involved in the clinical side of things!

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! Sorry you're not enjoying med school!

As a previous poster mentioned, it is important to carefully consider the consequences of dropping out.

As a final year medic, who resat a year and also intercalated (elsewhere), I knew I did not enjoy my course by the end of first year. Unfortunately, that never changed, and once I intercalated in a different degree, I only felt stronger this way. For the reasons already provided (years invested, money, being blacklisted, job prospects etc) I continued to push through and continue with med school. However, I do wish I didn't. I wish I had dropped out after first year or after intercalating or after my first clinical placement year- because these were all pivotal points of the degree, telling me that med school life was not for me. The toll of pursuing a course that I didn't enjoy for so long has been immense and I wish I hadn't let my inner critique and other's opinions get to me. I have known people to drop out and really enjoy themselves and find themselves again so I think if you feel strongly enough, it's better now than later. If in doubt, wait for your first clinical year/intercalation and reassess your feelings. x
Original post by Anonymous
Hey! Sorry you're not enjoying med school!

As a previous poster mentioned, it is important to carefully consider the consequences of dropping out.

As a final year medic, who resat a year and also intercalated (elsewhere), I knew I did not enjoy my course by the end of first year. Unfortunately, that never changed, and once I intercalated in a different degree, I only felt stronger this way. For the reasons already provided (years invested, money, being blacklisted, job prospects etc) I continued to push through and continue with med school. However, I do wish I didn't. I wish I had dropped out after first year or after intercalating or after my first clinical placement year- because these were all pivotal points of the degree, telling me that med school life was not for me. The toll of pursuing a course that I didn't enjoy for so long has been immense and I wish I hadn't let my inner critique and other's opinions get to me. I have known people to drop out and really enjoy themselves and find themselves again so I think if you feel strongly enough, it's better now than later. If in doubt, wait for your first clinical year/intercalation and reassess your feelings. x

I know you posted a while ago but just stumbled across it. It's really interesting. So you stayed in med? Didn't leave? With hind sight what would you have done course wise?
Thanks
Hi,

What have you decided to do?
Reply 8
Hi,

Also curious as to what you decided to do as I'm currently in pretty much the same boat right now as well haha
Original post by aj.03
Also curious as to what you decided to do as I'm currently in pretty much the same boat right now as well haha

What year are you in? How come you are considering dropping out?
Reply 10
Original post by the mumivator
What year are you in? How come you are considering dropping out?

Also 2nd year medic, in London. Just general lack of motivation/drive for the course and second thoughts on whether I actually want to be a doctor for the rest of my life. Plus my family are far away and whilst I got used to that eventually in 1st year, some personal problems with friends have made it a bit tougher for me to deal with that in 2nd year and even more so now, with exam anxiety.

Right now just trying to cram for the exams which are very close. Figure I might as well just focus on trying to pass my 2nd year exams for now and then I can have all summer to be with my family and ponder over my future haha
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Immigrant and ethnic parents keep trying to push their kids into medicine, I don't know about you but I definitely experienced this. It's dangerous to be forcing interests on kids who don't know if this is what they want. Medicine definitely won't make you rich, the pay is pretty appalling, and will probably never make you famous or notable (if that's what you want in life). I often find the people who invent and change industries usually forge their own path in their career, whether it be research, entrepreneurship, invention, anything of that sort. It's totally normal to have your doubts but my advice would be to rethink what you wanna do while you're still young, if you can't see yourself at 45 being a doctor then it's not a good path.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by rcah3
Also 2nd year medic, in London. Just general lack of motivation/drive for the course and second thoughts on whether I actually want to be a doctor for the rest of my life. Plus my family are far away and whilst I got used to that eventually in 1st year, some personal problems with friends have made it a bit tougher for me to deal with that in 2nd year and even more so now, with exam anxiety.

Right now just trying to cram for the exams which are very close. Figure I might as well just focus on trying to pass my 2nd year exams for now and then I can have all summer to be with my family and ponder over my future haha

Hi. I can totally see how you getting through a med degree is nigh on impossible without real motivation but leaving after 2nd year is a really huge decision. Once you quit med, there is no going back so you need to be 100% sure that it is not the career for you.
I found this old thread about quitting after year 3 that might be helpful...hope it works....

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5834182#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20do%20your,three%20years%20of%20clinical%20medicine.&text=Also%20bear%20in%20mind%20that,allow%20every%20student%20to%20intercalate.

Might be worth trying to stick it out to end of 3rd year and leaving with a qualification and then maybe a year out? To consider your future and then maybe continue or do a masters in something different?
I am no expert so do not want to give you any false info so hopefully @GANFYD will be able to say if above is possible or give you some ideas on how best to move forward in this tricky situation.
I wish you the best.
Reply 13
Original post by the mumivator
Hi. I can totally see how you getting through a med degree is nigh on impossible without real motivation but leaving after 2nd year is a really huge decision. Once you quit med, there is no going back so you need to be 100% sure that it is not the career for you.
I found this old thread about quitting after year 3 that might be helpful...hope it works....

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5834182#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can%20do%20your,three%20years%20of%20clinical%20medicine.&text=Also%20bear%20in%20mind%20that,allow%20every%20student%20to%20intercalate.

Might be worth trying to stick it out to end of 3rd year and leaving with a qualification and then maybe a year out? To consider your future and then maybe continue or do a masters in something different?
I am no expert so do not want to give you any false info so hopefully @GANFYD will be able to say if above is possible or give you some ideas on how best to move forward in this tricky situation.
I wish you the best.

Thanks very much, that's really helpful.

I agree with what you said, I don't really think it should be done before 3rd year because then, hypothetically, at least I could get some sort of degree to at least make it worth my while.

One of the main things that's stopping me from having dropped out already (along with not wanting to feel like I wasted 2 years worth of time + tuition) is that, as you said, it's a very irreversible definitive decision and I'll be done with med as far as UK med schools are concerned. I'm going to be intercalating in a humanities-based degree next year (3rd year) so hopefully that'll be a nice break from the preclinical slog. I'm hoping after that, clinical years will be a bit better, as it's more practical and useful (and that's one of the main things I've hated about preclin years - insane amounts of revising the minutia of clinically irrelevant stuff).
Original post by rcah3
Thanks very much, that's really helpful.

I agree with what you said, I don't really think it should be done before 3rd year because then, hypothetically, at least I could get some sort of degree to at least make it worth my while.

One of the main things that's stopping me from having dropped out already (along with not wanting to feel like I wasted 2 years worth of time + tuition) is that, as you said, it's a very irreversible definitive decision and I'll be done with med as far as UK med schools are concerned. I'm going to be intercalating in a humanities-based degree next year (3rd year) so hopefully that'll be a nice break from the preclinical slog. I'm hoping after that, clinical years will be a bit better, as it's more practical and useful (and that's one of the main things I've hated about preclin years - insane amounts of revising the minutia of clinically irrelevant stuff).

My daughter is first year and feels the same. The amount of info to learn is insane. She has a couple of mini placements coming up and is so looking forward to them. Like you say, get the preclinical years out the way and it will actually feel like you are doing the job you signed up for. It is really hard to stay motivated but just keep the end goal in sight - nothing in life worth having comes super easy no matter which path you take.
You are doing a med degree but you still have many options open to you so don't get bogged down with "this is my life". Your life can be whatever you want it to be!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending