The Student Room Group

Definition of Model UN

Just out of character here. I would like someone to confirm what we can and can't do here in the Model United Nations. For example, if I, as a representative for Sierra Leone, in an argument, wanted to say "My country does not want aid from your country any more", would this be feasible? My thoughts are that seeing as this is a Model UN, and we have had "real-life scenarios" before, this would be sensible.

Also, although I agree with the suggestion of the dismissal of the Danish representative, I feel that this is part of the above issue, and may need to be cleared up.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

brimstone1
Reply 1
I think policy of working mainly alongside real international progressions is good, although I think some er.. " improvisation" issues would make it more intresting. although not as far as some members have taken it - ie. consistant with the foriegn policy of their representative nation.
We can't slavishly follow current affairs, because that would be what we call "boring". On the other hand, we clearly can't just go round saying "China declares war on Paraguay over baked potato scandal" or something equally ridiculous (not least because we don't have a Paraguayan representative...)

As ever, the answer is a middle ground.
Reply 3
Which would be? Again, my suggestion of allowing us to let off steam at the end of the session by nuking each other sounds excellent.

Also, we should have more hypothetical scenarios. If you wish, I could make one/a few up pretty quickly. Would you like me to do so?
Reply 4
brimstone1
Just out of character here. I would like someone to confirm what we can and can't do here in the Model United Nations. For example, if I, as a representative for Sierra Leone, in an argument, wanted to say "My country does not want aid from your country any more", would this be feasible? My thoughts are that seeing as this is a Model UN, and we have had "real-life scenarios" before, this would be sensible.

Also, although I agree with the suggestion of the dismissal of the Danish representative, I feel that this is part of the above issue, and may need to be cleared up.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

brimstone1

in the context that you used it, it was perfectly fine and personally i was surprised you didnt walk over and punch his lights out.
Reply 5
Ukraine offers the Sierra Leone delegate, on behalf of Ukraine, any aid they may need to fill the Danish void.

As a major contributor to UN peacekeeping forces and a country commited to democracy and peace, we are more than happy to offer our assistance.
Reply 6
meh we bailed out the palestinians, i'm sure we can bail you out too:wink:
Reply 7
Wootcannon
Ukraine offers the Sierra Leone delegate, on behalf of Ukraine, any aid they may need to fill the Danish void.

As a major contributor to UN peacekeeping forces and a country commited to democracy and peace, we are more than happy to offer our assistance.

The Republic of Sierra Leone accepts this offer with extreme gratitude. The Republic also thanks teehar (you are the KSA right?) for his support in this matter.
Reply 8
Back on topic, I think a mixture of real life and SOME DEGREE of improv is acceptable, aslong as it isnt out of character.

Latest

Trending

Trending