The Student Room Group

Uni courses

I do A level Maths , Economics and a BTEC extended certificate in IT and im considering doing computer science at uni ( most preferably computer science with Management) . I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me where they dont do A level CS but want to do it in Uni . Idk if it will be a disadvantage for me as im thinking about applying to top unis such as Kings , QMUL , Warwick or RHUL . If it were to be a disadvantage, what should i do in order to increase my chances . Ive starting some MOOCs such as Freecodecamp , is there anything else i should consider ?
Original post by Djoptic01
I do A level Maths , Economics and a BTEC extended certificate in IT and im considering doing computer science at uni ( most preferably computer science with Management) . I was just wondering if anyone else is in the same position as me where they dont do A level CS but want to do it in Uni . Idk if it will be a disadvantage for me as im thinking about applying to top unis such as Kings , QMUL , Warwick or RHUL . If it were to be a disadvantage, what should i do in order to increase my chances . Ive starting some MOOCs such as Freecodecamp , is there anything else i should consider ?

For Computer Science degrees, most unis state no requirement for, or preference for, Computer Science A level. What they very often ask for in Maths A level, which you have.

Take a look at some of the web sites for the universities you're interested in, and search for their Computer Science course, then read what they say about their entry requirements. Make sure you pay attention to what they say about BTECs, as some can be a bit fussy.
Hi there,

It's great to hear you're considering studying at Royal Holloway!

If you wanted some further information and guidance about this the best thing to do would be to contact our Admissions team directly here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/applicationquery and they will respond as soon as possible!

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep

Hello @Djoptic01,

I would highly advise that you contact the admission teams of the educational providers you're interested in and ask them how your qualifications would affect your application. This will allow you to get the most accurate picture of what they expect from a candidate.

Something else I would also like to share with you is our computer science study guide. This has a lot of information about how to prepare for a degree in computer science, how you can expect your career path to look when you graduate and more! Regardless of where you decide to study, I think this will be a really interesting read for you - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd

I hope that this is helpful!

Good luck 😊

Becky

Hi there,

As others have said, the emphasis for most computer science courses at Uni is more on having an appropriate maths qualification (A-level in your case), though it's great that you're thinking of getting ahead in your application! As boring as it might sound, getting super well practiced with A-level maths content will put you in great stead for going to uni. A MOOC may help you stand out on a person statement, but I’ve had a lot of fun (and learned a lot) writing a program in my spare time to help with Model UN simulations. Maybe try taking one of your hobbies and plan a coding project relating to it?

Also, I’m a student at the London Interdisciplinary School (LIS), and considering your joint interest in computer science at management, I was wondering if you had thought about applying to LIS? The course is very flexible, and in my case I’m doing plenty of computer science related modules in data science, quantitative modelling, and natural language processing at the moment.

Re: management, many of my peers have shaped the course to take them in the direction of management consultancy. As part of the course, people have interned at KPMG and elsewhere on internships brokered by the LIS each year on their behalf.

The course is split between quantitative methods (e.g. the things I mentioned above) and qualitative methods (e.g. design thinking, systems thinking, etc. ), which you then apply to engage with complex problems of your choice. LIS have no entry requirements, interview every candidate, and always make contextual offers. You can apply in or outside of UCAS.

I only bring this up because it sounds like you have a very LIS-y cross section of interests! Here’s a link to the website: https://www.lis.ac.uk/undergraduate-degree

Hope that helps :smile:
Finn
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending