The Student Room Group

Should I revise during year 10?

Hi. I'm starting year 10 this september and need to know if I should start revising immediately and need some reassurance.
The subjects I'm taking (as the optional ones) are History, Art, Triple Science and Spanish. I am also taking English and Maths compulsory.
I am doing higher for every subject.
I have done great throughout the last few years without studying at all (only reading over notes before the exam and working well in class). I am predicted all 8s and 9s (mostly 9s) and one 7 in Spanish. I am predicted all 9s in the core subjects.
Although I am naturally successful, I feel unconfident and worried since I want to be the first in my school to achieve all 9s and want to excel in my academic career and beyond. I also don't seem to 'fit in' with the other smart kids as it seems they're more intense than me and their hard work pays of which gives me a bit of imposter syndrome since I don't even study or go to tuition. I'm in a low-income family with only 1 working parent, free school meals and don't even have my own room in an immigrant family of 5 who live in a flat in a very poor region of the UK. I unfortunately have struggled with my mental health for some time too and was hospitalised for a short while thanks to it.
On the side, I've done tons of extracurricular already such as Model UN, winning competitions, creating props for a play, becoming a student leader, representing the school externally, creating my own club, campaign and I am doing work experience with a pretty big law firm soon. I am also thinking of joining police cadets.
Should I be stressing over gcses? Am I a high-achieving student? Do I have potential? What else can I do? Thanks for reading :smile:
There’s a few things going on here:

Firstly your GCSEs need to come first - so make it like your job. Get used to studying and using a method that works for you. I would advise to revise as you go along- things like flash cards, mind maps etc., a little and often rather then cramming at the last minute.

Your after school clubs are great to relax and unwind. Do have them in balance with your school work.

Lastly, look after your mental health, so sports, quiet time, eat healthily. If at any point in time you begin to feel unwell with stress go see your GP as they will help.

Quick Reply

Latest