The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Scotty93
Also, anybody care to discuss an easy method of remembering all of the evaluation points, like through a mnemonic ect

If you have a look at couple page front, you should see some on evaluation
WEESTEPS or MAGICSTEPS

Both useful :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by Jack_Smith
That should be fine you usually need about 54 i think !! but june 11 was 58 :s

Fingers crossed the data response isn't too complicated. Would much prefer an easy section B with higher grade boundaries, as opposed to a harder one
Reply 182
Original post by Adrianna123
Our teacher taught us this for evaluation:

Time lag - short run/long run
Importance - for example, how significant is the NMW increase? If it's like 2p an hour then it's very unlikely to cause problems
Magnitude - how big or small the effect will be
Elasticity - maybe the elasticity changes the effect
Depends - using the word depends helps evaluate eg. it depends on the time lag
However - this is an evaluative term that is useful so you remember to look at the other side of the argument

TIMED-H :biggrin:

Hope that helps!

This is very good.
Economic effects on falling house prices on first time buyers??
Reply 184
Original post by Whitechapel

That just made my head spin.

Well economically, it would increase the demand for housing due to a lower price for it ( use a supply and demand diagram to explain - could get up to 4 marks for it).

Evaluate by mentioning that the fall in house prices may be quite small and therefore might not affect the demand that greatly.

Anyone else care to expand?
Reply 185
Original post by ryanboi
If you have a look at couple page front, you should see some on evaluation
WEESTEPS or MAGICSTEPS

Both useful :smile:

Thanks a lot, will try my best to find them. Evaluation near enough always pulls my final mark down

Original post by shaminn
That just made my head spin.

Well economically, it would increase the demand for housing due to a lower price for it ( use a supply and demand diagram to explain - could get up to 4 marks for it).

Evaluate by mentioning that the fall in house prices may be quite small and therefore might not affect the demand that greatly.

Anyone else care to expand?

There's some weighing up to be done IMO: on the one hand, falling house prices mean that in theory first time buyers should be able to obtain mortgages and put down the house deposit more easily. However, looking at the wider context, the falling house prices are probably part of some greater issue - a recession perhaps. If this was the case, any potential positives for first time buyers might be negated by the reluctance/cautiousness of banks in giving out mortgages for fear of them not being paid back. I'd also agree with you, Shaminn, that the magnitude of the fall in prices is highly significant. :smile:
Original post by Jack_Smith
do we need to knw nominal and real??i t came up in a paper!

In terms of increases in income, for example? In this instance, nominal refers to the increase in income without the figure being adjusted to take inflation into account (I believe). Real would here refer to the opposite: the increase in income after the figure has been adjusted to take inflation into account.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
There's some weighing up to be done IMO: on the one hand, falling house prices mean that in theory first time buyers should be able to obtain mortgages and put down the house deposit more easily. However, looking at the wider context, the falling house prices are probably part of some greater issue - a recession perhaps. If this was the case, any potential positives for first time buyers might be negated by the reluctance/cautiousness of banks in giving out mortgages for fear of them not being paid back. I'd also agree with you, Shaminn, that the magnitude of the fall in prices is highly significant. :smile:

also there would be a negative wealth effect on those that already own homes
Original post by TheEssence

Could you or someone actually define wealth effect for me?

Didn't the question specifically ask about the effect on first time buyers?
Could you or someone actually define wealth effect for me?

(its been a few months since i've picked up an A2 economics textbook) It should be when people are either objectively richer, or feel richer because the value of their assets has increased , vice versa when the value goes down..
Reply 192
hopefully my boy extricated will destroy this paper tomorrow =)
Didn't the question specifically ask about the effect on first time buyers?

o srry, i just went onto the last page and saw you make your point and thought you'd missed out on that one, apologies
o srry, i just went onto the last page and saw you make your point and thought you'd missed out on that one, apologies

No problem. Thanks for mentioning the wealth effect, I'd forgotten about it and wouldn't mind dropping it into a few answers tomorrow!
Last question from me. How exactly, other than unemployment, is the National minimum wage an example of government failure??
No problem. Thanks for mentioning the wealth effect, I'd forgotten about it and wouldn't mind dropping it into a few answers tomorrow!

you're welcome :biggrin:
Original post by Extricated
PM ME THE OTHER resources please

They are uploaded on the forum- just have a look
Its hard to quantify what the equilibrium price is to begin with so its difficult to set a target price

Hey could you please clarify something.

For the 14 mark essay- how many points do you need? For KAA=8 marks E=6.

3 points with introduction and conclusion or 2 points with introduction and conclusion?
Last question from me. How exactly, other than unemployment, is the National minimum wage an example of government failure??

That's slightly tricky. All I can think of is:

- Many low wage earners are state-employed, and therefore the implementation of a NMW would not only hit the private sector, but also the public sector. This might lead to a reduction in funding of state provision, such as healthcare and education.
- Many would-be recipients of a NMW are not the main wage earners in a household. That is to say, they have wealthy/well-to-do partners who can support them and therefore they do not need the stability of a minimum wage.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm pretty tired so that probably has something to do with it aha.

Going to bed, good night and good luck everybody. I know I'm gonna need it.

Latest

Trending

Trending