The Student Room Group

Where to study Molecular Biology?

Back in October, when I applied to UCAS, I didn't really know which university I wanted to go to. I decided to reconsider that once I had gotten offers. Well, it is now February, I have offers from several universities, and I still don't know which one I would like to go to. Any advice you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

My offers are as follows:
Sheffield - ABB (I've visited, loved the uni, didn't really like the city.)
Dundee - BBB (Haven't visited, but really like what I've heard. Hope to visit soon.)
Durham - ABB (Haven't visited, really know very little about it)
Sussex - BBC (Have visited, loved the campus, but the course isn't that great compared to the others)

Comments on the Molecular Biology courses, the areas the unis are in, and how enjoyable life at the unis are would be excellent!

Thanks,
LJP
Reply 1
I think you should visit durham, it is very different to all the rest + a good course
Visit Durham! By far the best course out of all of those unis (although Sheffield is also very good) and Durham is just an amazing place...
Reply 3
Dundee is supposed to be the best place in the country outside of the golden triangle for molecular biology. The course is very strong on signalling and such- having The Wellcome Trust complex helps for that, also undergrads often do UROPs in the research labs in the complex.
The town itself is tiny and is a bit of a nightmare to get to from almost everywhere in the country, 6 hours from London by train though there is the Caledonian Sleeper. The undergrads do seem to have fun and the union is quite good. Most of the halls are either being refurbished or newly built so in general the quality is quite high.
Reply 4
Havn't been to any of them, but did apply to Durham for same course! (Durham's too far for me - did get offer from collingwood). Durham hasn't got the best department, although i don't know much about your other choices, but is a good uni - howevr high offer.
Reply 5
OK, i dont mean to rude, but Dundee is a hole. I mean, seriously, its one of the least pleasant places I've ever been (to give you an idea, Aberdeen council used to pay to take all of aberdeens rubbish and dump it just outside Dundee). Its grey, ugly, cold and wet, and reasonably remote (hour and half from Aberdeen, 3 hours from Edinburgh [by road]).

I'd really recommend Durham, its a great uni (not only are degrees from Durham highly valued, but my best mates sister is there and loves it, as do everyone else i know who's gone).

Vistit Dundee if you really like the look of the course, after all, this is just my opinion, but visit Durham as well.
Reply 6
agreed, Prometheus- I was trying to put a positive light on Dundee- difficult though that is. Sadly though Life Sciences up here is better than Durham. The city is improving a bit- we now have more than one decent bar.
Reply 7
visit all the unis u have applied for an also why not have a look at some league tables to see which unis get the best results?

Latest

Trending

Trending