The Student Room Group

Branding and scarification

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Schmokie Dragon
Two romantic partners. It almost doesn't matter what I post, this is the thing everyone seems to pick up on.

What do you expect? It is unusual.
Original post by Kennyy
What do you expect? It is unusual.

Is it really that unusual?

most relationships at some point have some form of infidelity.. with polyamory at least its all out in the open.

As for the branding . I really enjoyed doing it

Someone asked if I had a portfolio of branding work. In short not really however I do have a few pictures of some of the work I have carried out.
some of the other brands I have done

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Dragon_Keeper

most relationships at some point have some form of infidelity.. with polyamory at least its all out in the open.

I think it is unusual to being polygamous relationship. Though I do think that for most people when they question you it would be more out on interest than to be mean or to mock. Well for me it would be anyway :smile:.
Original post by miserlou
I think it is unusual to being polygamous relationship. Though I do think that for most people when they question you it would be more out on interest than to be mean or to mock. Well for me it would be anyway :smile:.

A curious mind is a wonderful thing
I guess actually defining it as a polyamorous relationship is the problem for most people I think social conditioning has a lot to play in peoples views and they struggle with the concept of being able to love more than one person
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dragon_Keeper

As for the branding . I really enjoyed doing it

Someone asked if I had a portfolio of branding work. In short not really however I do have a few pictures of some of the work I have carried out.
some of the other brands I have done

Spoiler

No gloves?

Honestly, looking at these photos makes me so sad for the people who let you do it. I hope they healed well.
Reply 25
When you grow old and grey and have that gay scarring still left from 50 years ago, you may regret it.
Original post by Sakura-Chan
No gloves?

Honestly, looking at these photos makes me so sad for the people who let you do it. I hope they healed well.

The area is being cauterised. Anything 'nasty' will be instantly killed and the wound seals so nothing can get in. His hands are cleaned before and the area to be branded carefully cleaned. Unless the gloves are sterile (and they won't stay sterile for long once the packet is opened), they're little better than very clean hands.

It's different to piercing and other body mods where there is an open wound.

Plus, I wouldn't want to put gloves near fire. Not my idea of fun.

Why so sad?
Original post by Dekota-XS
When you grow old and grey and have that gay scarring still left from 50 years ago, you may regret it.

I'd be seriously impressed if the scarring lasted for 50 years. Like, wow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Probably won't make a difference but it's a terrible idea.
People go to some ****ed up lengths to feel 'individual'.
Original post by ed-
Probably won't make a difference but it's a terrible idea.
People go to some ****ed up lengths to feel 'individual'.

?

a) how is it '****ed up'?

b) why is it a 'terrible idea'? (too late now, but still curious)

I find it amusing that people can decorate their house however they want, spend £1000s on a car, etc but as soon as they do something 'unusual' to their own body, they're going too far in the eyes of (some) others.
Reply 30
?

a) how is it '****ed up'?

b) why is it a 'terrible idea'? (too late now, but still curious)

I find it amusing that people can decorate their house however they want, spend £1000s on a car, etc but as soon as they do something 'unusual' to their own body, they're going too far in the eyes of (some) others.

Because it's pretty much self harm, and because it's primitive and what we do to animals.

It's a terrible idea because you're probably feeling rebellious at the moment. That feeling doesn't last for ever (at least for most people, however others never grow up e.g. anarchists and occupy movements)

There is a slight difference between mutilating your body permanently and decorating a house!!
Original post by ed-
Because it's pretty much self harm, and because it's primitive and what we do to animals.

It's a terrible idea because you're probably feeling rebellious at the moment. That feeling doesn't last for ever (at least for most people, however others never grow up e.g. anarchists and occupy movements)

There is a slight difference between mutilating your body permanently and decorating a house!!

Why is changing one's body at a superficial level so awful? No need to use words like 'mutilation' which have a negative connotation. It's not as though someone has pinned me down and done this to me against my will and in such a way that my functioning is impaired.

What makes you think anarchists are all people who failed to 'grow up' and why do you assume that body mods are only done by those who feel rebellious (which you associate with immaturity)?

Seriously, so many assumptions. It's almost like you want everyone to fit into one little box based on your assumptions about normal, 'healthy' human behaviour.

Why is 'primitive' a bad thing and what do you mean by it? Many so-called 'primitive' cultures produce beautiful art and have elegant and admirable traditions.

"it's what we do to animals" - what kind of an argument is that? We do a lot of things to non-human animals that we also do to to humans. It sounds like you're saying that animals are so much 'less' than humans that we are justified in treating them badly. But you probably would think that - most people do.

Get a bit of libertarian spirit.
Original post by Sakura-Chan
No gloves?

gloves are totally unnecessary
firstly unlike a tattoo there is no open wound there is no skin to skin contact and unlike a piercing there is no handling of objects that penetrate the skin

firstly let me point out hospitals and doctors do now wear gloves any more when administering injections and taking bloods as their hands should be clean with the alcohol gels and foams that are dotted around the hospital (check it out with your doctor or local nurse) in fact having just been with someone while they had the pill injection both the nurse and the doctor who eventually administered the injection neither washed their hands nor gloved up before handling the injection preparation after sitting at desks or handling files etc.

I used hospital cleaning techniques with alcohol gel to clean my hands after washing them even though there is no skin contact
the area to be branded is cleaned again with alcohol swabs.

the branding tool is heated to red hot ( for mild steel about 1200 deg C) well above the dry heat sterilisation point of approx 600 deg C this is the only thing that comes into contact with the cleaned area

due to the extremes of heat used in a 'proper' brand there is no need for further sterilisation as with each heat application the tool is re sterilised

As soon as the branding tool hits the skin the skin and subcutaneous layers are vaporised so had the skin been dirty it no longer exists anyway and bacteria or germs even viruses are instantly destroyed leaving a dry cauterised wound that is sealed to further infection. In fact it is so clean and sealed there is no need for even a dressing pad.

gloves when dealing with these temperatures are if anything a hinderance firstly I wouldn't want latex anywhere near the sort of flame temperatures I work with ... the thought of molten latex on my hands really doest do it for me

As for you question I hope they a healed well... Indeed they have without any sign of any form of infection in 100% of cases

2 examples

the heart brand 4 months on you will notice how clean and crisp the scaring is

the hello kitty brand 6 months after

some branders will advocate getting a brand infected to promote scarring .. I wouldn't If i were you unless you find a nice big blob of a scar attractive

I hope this clarifies some of your concerns
Reply 33
Why is changing one's body at a superficial level so awful? No need to use words like 'mutilation' which have a negative connotation. It's not as though someone has pinned me down and done this to me against my will and in such a way that my functioning is impaired.

What makes you think anarchists are all people who failed to 'grow up' and why do you assume that body mods are only done by those who feel rebellious (which you associate with immaturity)?

Seriously, so many assumptions. It's almost like you want everyone to fit into one little box based on your assumptions about normal, 'healthy' human behaviour.

Why is 'primitive' a bad thing and what do you mean by it? Many so-called 'primitive' cultures produce beautiful art and have elegant and admirable traditions.

"it's what we do to animals" - what kind of an argument is that? We do a lot of things to non-human animals that we also do to to humans. It sounds like you're saying that animals are so much 'less' than humans that we are justified in treating them badly. But you probably would think that - most people do.

Get a bit of libertarian spirit.

Well it is mutilation - you inferred negativity from that. Look, people can do what they want to their bodies; I was just saying why I think it's a bad idea. But if I see someone with chunks cut out of them, don't blame me for giving them a wide berth.

I don't see any other reason to go to such an extreme, other than immature reasons: wanting to have individuality and rebelling (which is immature as that's what 15 year olds do..)

I mean it's primitive in that, it's the sort of thing African tribes do to please their gods. In today's society it's illogical (no religion promotes anything like that)

Yes, obviously animals are 'less'. Hence why we eat them, and they don't eat us, hence why we heard and brand them and not vice versa...
I have to admit, the heart does look quite good :smile:
Original post by ed-

firstly it is not pretty much self harm ..any more that a body piercing or tattoo

probably feeling rebellious? I am 41 I have just had my brand re done this week ( point in fact that they are not permanent) I have had more tattoo work in the last 6 months and am planning more as well as bore body piercings I have also had a decorative cutting in the last 2 months ... does this make me a rebellious anarchist ??? woohoo I have always wanted to be one of those ..

mutilation ... now I can appreciate a holocaust concentration camp tattoo was done in the same way that maybe freeze branding a horse... but are tattoos frowned upon in the same way ? branding and scarification has a long long history far longer than tattooing or body piercing. It is a mark of honour and status in many tribal cultures. Fakir Musafar http://www.fakir.org/aboutfakir/index.html the godfather of branding and body modification in he modern world did his first brands in 1947 http://www.bodyplay.com/bodyplay/online/index.htm

so it is by no means a modern fad and has had a lot of research done on it
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I have to admit, the heart does look quite good :smile:

thanks

that was a freehand job
Original post by Dekota-XS

it is unlikely a brand would last this long to be fair

the body heals scars very well

on white europeans keiloid scaring is rare and this would be the kind that would most likely last a lifetime

you are more likely to have a silvery shadow of the original design

but thern again the same could be said about tattoos
Original post by ed-
Well it is mutilation - you inferred negativity from that. Look, people can do what they want to their bodies; I was just saying why I think it's a bad idea. But if I see someone with chunks cut out of them, don't blame me for giving them a wide berth.

I don't see any other reason to go to such an extreme, other than immature reasons: wanting to have individuality and rebelling (which is immature as that's what 15 year olds do..)

I mean it's primitive in that, it's the sort of thing African tribes do to please their gods. In today's society it's illogical (no religion promotes anything like that)

Yes, obviously animals are 'less'. Hence why we eat them, and they don't eat us, hence why we heard and brand them and not vice versa...

Speak for yourself re: eating animals. You've just made an is/ought fallacy. Just because you treat animals as lesser beings, to be exploited and killed for your pleasure and convenience, doesn't mean you should.

How is it illogical? I don't think 'logic' really comes into it. It's a decision someone takes to alter their property for their own pleasure. If that's illogical (which it isn't - an isolated action can't be illogical as logic is concerned with reasoning, inference and deduction), so is buying a painting or anything else done purely for pleasure, amusement or satisfaction. Some 'primitive' tribes have ritual sex or eat ritual meals. Does that mean sex or eating for pleasure is primitive and illogical? I didn't get a brand for religious or ritual purposes, so even if my actions seem similar, surely the difference in motivation is significant?

Again, you're using emotive language. You use words like 'mutilation' and 'extreme', which clearly have a negative connotation and then say I'm just inferring something negative. Mutilation is not a neutral word. Change is. Mutilation means disfigurement, loss of functionality, debilitating damage, etc. It doesn't just mean 'change to one's body or appearance'. If you avoid contact with someone because of how they look, that just makes you prejudiced.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
See when I saw the brands just after they'd been done I was like 'omg that looks awful, those poor people having that on them for the rest of their lives' but after its healed it does actually look quite good. Weird how it all kinda scars together; I thought it would just stay as loads of little dots.
I've always been quite into body mods. Got a few piercings and a tattoo, and have a couple of scarifications (not professional, done myself in my self-harming days >.<). Its cool :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest