The Student Room Group

Degree options fashion design / business

So I've received offers for marketing and management at university of essex and the university of East anglia as well as an offer for business and marketing at the University of Kent.

My dream has always been to set up my own fashion brand where I have creative control of the initial designs and to be able to collaborate with other brands or design for them.

I am doing the wrong thing by pursuing a business degree instead of a fashion design degree or am I on the right track.
Original post by Rose_99
So I've received offers for marketing and management at university of essex and the university of East anglia as well as an offer for business and marketing at the University of Kent.
My dream has always been to set up my own fashion brand where I have creative control of the initial designs and to be able to collaborate with other brands or design for them.
I am doing the wrong thing by pursuing a business degree instead of a fashion design degree or am I on the right track.

Fashion degree isn’t a must for setting up a fashion brand. Studying a normal business degree can be helpful too,it can even open more doors for you if you are unsure about entering fashion industry.

As you said you wanted to have a creative control of the initial design,maybe you can self learn fashion design through YouTube or other online platforms? But if you want to work for a fashion company as a fashion designer, the companies usually require a fashion design degree and ofc you can make a portfolio to apply for it even though you don’t have the design degree,but it will be quite difficult because fashion is a very competitive industry.

But if you just want to be a business owner,there is no worry about the issue of degree qualification as you are the boss. You can have a full control on the initial design and you can self learn the techniques(Ofc, fashion school will be the best place to learn these techniques). If you want to collaborate with other brands,you need to have networking and connection with the industry. Fashion school is the perfect place for building relationships. But you can also build it through networking event outside of the school.

choose the degree that interests you the most, if you think normal business degree will make you feel more comfortable as the career path might be broader, go for it. You can always do fashion whenever you want,but the concern is that you need to be diligent and keep learning fashion design through online platforms consistently( or you can even study a fashion related master ?). This process might make people lose interest in fashion design gradually as there is no people guiding them to learn fashion design.Some people may just give up when they have difficulties. So, you need to pay more effort to learn it and keep going.

Best Wishes!

Quick Reply

Latest