The Student Room Group

British student who created TVShack will be extradited to the US.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
This all boils down to the same issues as the Gary McKinnon thing as well.. the unfairness of our extradition laws..
Original post by RipperRoo
I'm puzzled as to how the US can even make a claim against him when his servers aren't in the US (unless the domain makes it a US violation?). Like someone said earlier it's like extraditing someone to Saudi for wearing a bikini or whatever.

If this case used anything like the tactics used against Newzbin, it probably came down to the US side exaggerating what the site was doing so it seemed like it was illegal when in fact it isn't.
Reply 82
Original post by `R92
Dont think youre comprehending that they both do exactly the same thing and neither are illegal yet 1 is punished.

They don't do the same thing. What was the mian reason people went to TV Shack what is the main reason they go to Google?

Are you saying Google is as bad as those extremist forums which discuss making bombs or paedophile forums where people exchange sites
Reply 83
Original post by withas
This all boils down to the same issues as the Gary McKinnon thing as well.. the unfairness of our extradition laws..

McKinnon needs to go too, if he's done nothing wrong great! He can have his day in court.
Reply 84
The US are spaz when it comes to copyright laws. That's why they're trying to pass this insane SOPA *******s.
Original post by TheImperialist
"A British student accused of breaching US copyright could face trial in the United States after a British court ruled that he can be extradited from the UK.
A judge at Westminster Magistrates Court agreed with US prosecutors that 23-year-old Richard O'Dwyer should face trial in America rather than in the UK.
The Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate has been fighting extradition since he was arrested for setting up a website which allowed people access to films and TV shows for free."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16148629

My question is, on what grounds did the judge agree with the US prosecutors?

He is a British citizen, its a British based website and the crime was committed in Britain. How can he be tried in the United States? :eek:

Imagine if Britain did that to a US Citizen!

Never will happen. Agree with you but let's be honest:

Britain is America's bitch. Pretty much, most countries are. We don't want another Hiroshima.
Sidereel provides the links to many tv shows and programmes too... SideReel hasn't been shut down?(but based in U.S) I don't really understand.. It even has a wikipedia page!? But the links are illegal?

I don't think that he should have to face trial in the U.s a bit much- to be honest, although what he did was wrong (i think), he did it in the uk...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
why extradite him he has not commited a crime against the goverment just against a company... this country has just rolled over and been ass f**ked again. I wonder what would happen if the rolls were reversed ( we'd still get ass f**ked )
Original post by TheImperialist
"A British student accused of breaching US copyright could face trial in the United States after a British court ruled that he can be extradited from the UK.
A judge at Westminster Magistrates Court agreed with US prosecutors that 23-year-old Richard O'Dwyer should face trial in America rather than in the UK.
The Sheffield Hallam University undergraduate has been fighting extradition since he was arrested for setting up a website which allowed people access to films and TV shows for free."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16148629

My question is, on what grounds did the judge agree with the US prosecutors?

He is a British citizen, its a British based website and the crime was committed in Britain. How can he be tried in the United States? :eek:

Imagine if Britain did that to a US Citizen!

There'd be no ****ing point in imagining it...If we even tried, America would just laugh and blow a rasberry in our collective faces. Make no mistake, The "Special Relationship" is totally one-sided when it comes to things like this.
I look forward to the day Bernie Madoff is charged for mansluahgter in a British court.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1143562/Suicide-British-soldier-lost-1million-life-savings-Madoff-swindle.html

If America wants to try our citizens for their wrong doings cross borders, I'll have this guy impaled. Don't see it happening some how.
Nothing wrong with copyright in my honest opinion.
Reply 91
Original post by Otkem
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-filesharing-extraditiontre80c15c-20120113,0,7135296.story

I do not have a shred of sympathy for him. He is part of the problem that costs the film industry millions each year, and I hope that he is given a lengthy prison sentence so that it serves as a deterrent.

What do you think?

your a loser.
Hmm, I wonder if Richard were American, would the UK be allowed to extradite him on the same terms? Methinks not...
Also, does this mean that if I commit a crime under US law, but not UK law, would I be extradited and tried in the US?
(edited 12 years ago)
It's a very interesting case.

Apparently America have jurisdiction because he used a .net web domain for his site, .com and .net sites are routed through American internet infrastructure? What a load of crap. Anyone looking at this properly will see that he has done nothing wrong. I can't remember the name of the guy or the site he set up (and wiki is down so I can't look up UK Copy right cases) but it is basically identical to this. The judge ruled that merely providing a link to copy righted material was not a crime.

How about the powers that be in the US actually go after the people behind the sites hosting the copy righted material, not the small timers collating lists. You know the people actually breaking copy right law. Jesus wept.

Lesson to be learnt, if you plan on setting up a similar site don't use .net or .com sites.
they said Bill the companies dont control government i laughed. Proof.
Reply 95
Original post by Aj12
Thing is he would have gone through a number of extradition trials here. It takes a lot to extradite someone and it can be challenged so there must be a strong case against him.

Actually, it doesn't take a lot for the US to extradite 'suspects' from the UK because 'the Extradition Act 2003 allows for suspects to be extradited to the US without UK courts considering the evidence' (last paragraph), and from what I've read so far, they've offered **** all for evidence.
Reply 96
Original post by CitizensUnited
Hmm, I wonder if Richard were American, would the UK be allowed to extradite him on the same terms? Methinks not...
Also, does this mean that if I commit a crime under US law, but not UK law, would I be extradited and tried in the US?

Depends on how many Corporations in America you piss off.
Surely the law should work like this:

We know the rules whether we like them or not we know them and know what the consequences are when we break them. That's fair right. You can't exactly go around arresting people for breaking laws that are not public. This boy knew the law stuck to it but is now suddenly arrested for breaking a law in another country. When were we told that breaking American law could end up with consequences. We weren't, so how is this fair?
(edited 12 years ago)
Obama, change you can believe in. Anyway this happened under Bush as well,it is just many here were very naive about the kenyan trickster in the whitehouse with his chicago mob friends. If I was this student I would worry, US prisons are real prisons where punishment is the operative word unlike in this country where the prison and justice system is run by left wing vermin. A british banker extradited to the US, talked recently of how he was treated,by US prison and immigration staff. Would make the libs wet themselves.

However, we as a country need to man up over this and sort out this extraditon treaty business.i don't like the idea of handing over British people to foreigners no matter what the relationship. I think the only british citizens who we should be putting in orange jumpsuits and shipping to the US or other nations , are those involved in killing British and US soldiers, or war criminals who are wanted for international crimes.I even naively thought that is what an extradition treaty was as after 9/11 many things changed.

I think we should keep our citizens in all other cases and not subject them to a foreign justice and prison system. I think at worst this student should be tried in this country, despite the fact Uk law apparently doesn't cover it, and the US government can send their lawyers over hereIf found guilty he can do his punishment in a British prison.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crocker710
I saw this on 'Look North' and a copy rights lawyer was on there and said the only reason that the US wanted him to be extradited to the US was because he wouldn't be convicted under British law :facepalm2: ergo he didn't break the laws of the country he is resident and has citizenship in. He's been charged with 'conspiracy' to commit copy right infringement :facepalm:

What is this judge playing at. I hope it gets appealed and overturned.

Does seem a bit stupid. Don't you have to actively be trying to commit a crime in America or against it to even consider extradition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending