The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Unit 2 18th January

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by SoftMusk
there was only 3 people in the exam including me lol and we were in a small room so it was nice and relaxed (: i just need a D!!

:redface: Same in our school there was a friend of mine who came in as an external candidate to sit the exam and about 5 others. Invigilator seemed really relaxed (more than usual), she nearly blew my head off one time with her shouting because she said pens down and I never filled in my details on a supplement sheet of paper and she thought I was carrying on writing. Then she came up to me took the pen out of my hand and smacked it down on the desk after I explained to her I was just writing my name she apologised.

Why do you only need a D?
Original post by George0393
5a - Why does 'insert antibiotic name' not effect humans?

Answer - Human cells do not have cell walls

5b - How does 'insert antibiotic name' effect Ribosomes (or something)

Answer - Stops Ribosomes from synthesising proteins

5c - How can the use of 'insert antibiotic name (the one that attacks cell walls) result in a strain of resistant bacteria?'

Answer - Random mutation of DNA bases causes resistant baceria
- 'Antibiotic' kills all non-resistant bacteria
- Resistant bacteria survive and reproduce, proportion of resistant bacteria increases
- Gene for resistance passed through vertical gene transmission in a conjugation tube

5d - Bacteria common in 'Species X' has recently been found in 'Species Y', use your knowledge of gene transmission to explain how this occured.

Answer - Species X passed the gene for resistance to Species Y
- Through horizontal gene transmission
- Through a conjugation tube
- In a plasmid

Vertical is due to binary fission isn't it?
Reply 582
Original post by ecokid
Sadly albinoism is caused by a mutated gene and not lack of melanin, wonder if they would count our fair skin comments afterwards... lol Such a random answer.:biggrin:

aww crap. oh well cant change it now i guess, time to move on and revise for the next exams :frown:
Original post by ??????????????????
Vertical is due to binary fission isn't it?

Vertical gene transmission occurs when bacteria passes a piece of DNA to another bacteria of the same species. I dont think it was needed for that question to get marks but I wrote it anyway
Vertical gene transmission occurs when bacteria passes a piece of DNA to another bacteria of the same species. I dont think it was needed for that question to get marks but I wrote it anyway

I was saying that horozontal gene transmission uses conjugative tubes not vertical :/
Original post by ??????????????????
I was saying that horozontal gene transmission uses conjugative tubes not vertical :/

I think they both do
Original post by YellowHarp
Oh no.. I wasn't making fun... It was very funny.. I thought you wrote it on purpose. LoL ... my bad :colondollar:

Oh, I did write it on purpose. Just didn't notice quite how stupid it looked until afterwards lol
I think they both do

Ah doesn't matter.
Reply 588
Original post by SoftMusk
there was only 3 people in the exam including me lol and we were in a small room so it was nice and relaxed (: i just need a D!!

where do u live?
Reply 589
Original post by jokosor
:angry: Got a blooming toothache, not slept in the last 36 hours because of the pain, NHS made me wait 6 MONTHS for a consultation, then the headache came along, then I felt sleepy...basically...I envy you.

i had that, really bad the other day, but i rubbed toofpaste on it and it helped, (but mine was more like, real sensitive kind of thing... may help ( stings a tad for about 10 sec but then goes fine and makes you drool some but.... worked for me haha )

there was 2 of us resiting hours, i think the examiner wanted us to talk to him lol
VerticalgenetransmissionConjugationVertical gene transmission\not=Conjugation

Conjugation is a part of horizontal gene transmission.
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
VerticalgenetransmissionConjugationVertical gene transmission\not=Conjugation

Conjugation is a part of horizontal gene transmission.

I have seen on previous exam questions 2 marks for

- Horizontal gene transmission
- Through conjugation tube

For example, question 3 on June 2009 paper, 3 marks for:

Horizontal Transmission
Passes gene/plasmid for resistance
Passed through conjugation
(edited 12 years ago)
I wrote cytoplasm instead of stroma tsk tsk
Reply 593
not gonna lie, the person who said i rounded to 209 (TO THE NEAREST WHOLE PERSON), i want to marry you.
I have seen on previous exam questions 2 marks for

- Horizontal gene transmission
- Through conjugation tube

That's what I'm saying.
Reply 595
Original post by chill543
i had that, really bad the other day, but i rubbed toofpaste on it and it helped, (but mine was more like, real sensitive kind of thing... may help ( stings a tad for about 10 sec but then goes fine and makes you drool some but.... worked for me haha )

there was 2 of us resiting hours, i think the examiner wanted us to talk to him lol

Oh thanks, well it formed an abscess and then burst...kept bleeding for a while but I don't feel as much pain now...problem is it will come back quite soon so I will use your method when it does. If only the NHS cared a little more...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
That's what I'm saying.

Ok I thought you were saying they were the same thing, so only 1 mark
Original post by GDowsett1
not gonna lie, the person who said i rounded to 209 (TO THE NEAREST WHOLE PERSON), i want to marry you.

Haha. Much appreciated but I'm straight :tongue:
Reply 598
Original post by ButternutAngelhut
I wrote cytoplasm instead of stroma tsk tsk

You are not alone...I wrote Methaphase instead of Anaphase...how it happened I don't know...life is bitter
Well, overall.. i think it's nice to know what you possibly got right/wrong. It's better than not having a clue and then getting a mark you totally did not expect. Hopefully, since there seems to be only quite a few people who re-sat this exam, the examiners would be patient and kind and help us get into Uni. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending