The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lambert1
There is a difference between fairness and tradition/tourism. Fairness can never be used to justify something bad. Everything fairness can justify sounds reasonable whereas tradition and tourism can logically support rape and other bad things.

Fairness is subjective and only exists in the mind of the individual, created in this case by what I believe to be simple jealousy. Obviously some forms can be more objective, like not harming each other, but the royalty are not doing any damage!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 381
Original post by gladders

You know what tradition is? It's our long-standing tradition of the rule of law, the tradition of a free Parliament, the tradition of the concept of rights for all people to have their voice heard.

That isn't tradition for most of history we have not had a free parliament, we have not had the right for our voices to be heard. Ironically when the right to vote for all people was finally instated in the early 20th century it would be traditionalists arguing against it. If traditionalists always got their say we would still be living in caves and hunting animals because traditionalists at the time would have disagreed with farming and houses.
That isn't tradition for most of history we have not had a free parliament, we have not had the right for our voices to be heard.

Parliament has existed for almost 750 years.

Ironically when the right to vote for all people was finally instated in the early 20th century it would be traditionalists arguing against it. If traditionalists always got their say we would still be living in caves and hunting animals because traditionalists at the time would have disagreed with farming and houses.

Except when it comes to widening the franchise, I'd have been joining you on the debate in favour of it: widening the franchise extends democracy, making the government accountable to a wider number of people and better able to do its job. There is intrinsic utility and value in doing so.

Electing the Head of State? No. Wouldn't change a jot.
Reply 383
Original post by ForKicks
Fairness is subjective and only exists in the mind of the individual, created by what I believe to be simple jealousy.

Fairness cannot be subjective it only has one meaning and that is equality. Sure some will say equality is equal pay for all and others will say it is equal opportunities but they are really expanding into other areas beyond fairness.

Are you suggesting that Martin Luther King Jr was simply a jealous old black man? jealous of the whites getting front seats in the bus and better education?
That isn't tradition for most of history we have not had a free parliament, we have not had the right for our voices to be heard. Ironically when the right to vote for all people was finally instated in the early 20th century it would be traditionalists arguing against it. If traditionalists always got their say we would still be living in caves and hunting animals because traditionalists at the time would have disagreed with farming and houses.

A President offers no more tangible benefits than the royal family. The monarchy has been around since the formation of the country. Since it has existed as long as our country has, it was tied itself into its traditions and culture from the start.
Reply 385
Parliament has existed for almost 750 years.

Except when it comes to widening the franchise, I'd have been joining you on the debate in favour of it: widening the franchise extends democracy, making the government accountable to a wider number of people and better able to do its job. There is intrinsic utility and value in doing so.

Electing the Head of State? No. Wouldn't change a jot.

It is irrelevant how long parliament existed women and non land owning men have been unable to vote for most of that time.

If an elected head of state changed nothing then there is no reason for the position to exist simple as that. For example if firemen did not put out fires and having them and not having the made no difference then why would we still have them? It is about cutting out unnecessary bureaucracy to make the government more efficient and having a healthy public private sector balance. The Queen is worth millions if we did not force her to be Queen she could be a business owner helping boost our economy.
Fairness cannot be subjective it only has one meaning and that is equality. Sure some will say equality is equal pay for all and others will say it is equal opportunities but they are really expanding into other areas beyond fairness.

Are you suggesting that Martin Luther King Jr was simply a jealous old black man? jealous of the whites getting front seats in the bus and better education?

No, because in the illustration you give, people were being physically harmed by the system. No-one is being harmed by the monarchy existing. They are 2 entirely different concepts. If total fairness= total equality then dear god that is a terrible goal to achieve.
Reply 387
A President offers no more tangible benefits than the royal family. The monarchy has been around since the formation of the country. Since it has existed as long as our country has, it was tied itself into its traditions and culture from the start.

Murder has existed since the beginning of the human race therefore it should be legalised and made a national pass time to keep with tradition.
It is irrelevant how long parliament existed women and non land owning men have been unable to vote for most of that time.

If an elected head of state changed nothing then there is no reason for the position to exist simple as that. For example if firemen did not put out fires and having them and not having the made no difference then why would we still have them? It is about cutting out unnecessary bureaucracy to make the government more efficient and having a healthy public private sector balance. The Queen is worth millions if we did not force her to be Queen she could be a business owner helping boost our economy.

I agree with your first line. This is why we should not have an elected head of state.
Murder has existed since the beginning of the human race therefore it should be legalised and made a national pass time to keep with tradition.

Murder has been looked down upon as harmful since pre-history, how do you not get this?
Reply 390
No, because in the illustration you give, people were being physically harmed by the system. No-one is being harmed by the monarchy existing. They are 2 entirely different concepts. If total fairness= total equality then dear god that is a terrible goal to achieve.

Physically harmed? sitting on the back of a bus isn't physically harming someone. My freedom is being harmed by the monarchy's existence. My freedom to stand for head of state and provide real change. I am not a supporter of communism but to say total fairness would be a terrible thing is not only selfish but idiotic.
Reply 391
Murder has been looked down upon as harmful since pre-history, how do you not get this?

Incorrect murder was a regular thing done by rivals battling for the crown.
The queen doesnt need a yacht, she's too old, what she needs is a reacharound from the ghostbusters.
Physically harmed? sitting on the back of a bus isn't physically harming someone. My freedom is being harmed by the monarchy's existence. My freedom to stand for head of state and provide real change. I am not a supporter of communism but to say total fairness would be a terrible thing is not only selfish but idiotic.

Your freedom is not being harmed. You're taking the logic of freedom to absurd lengths. Is your freedom being restricted because we can't elect judges? Would you want to?

However, are you able to elect your government? Is the law respected by those in power? Is the law enforced fairly and openly? Do you have means by which to openly express your dissatisfaction with the country's situation?

If yes to all of these, then you are free.
Fairness is subjective and only exists in the mind of the individual, created in this case by what I believe to be simple jealousy. Obviously some forms can be more objective, like not harming each other, but the royalty are not doing any damage!

Thats not what the quuen said, she said this country needs freedom and fairness.

Let me put it another way. We should only interfere when there is serious harm or threat to other people, whether physically or mentally. The royal family aren't interfering with your life. Being the head of state is not a fundamental right that people should be entitled to.
Original post by robin22391
Thats not what the quuen said, she said this country needs freedom and fairness.

Yes, and since when was being able to be a head of state a fundamental freedom?

And there have been many wars for people seeking to become leaders of republics.

If you want to take that approach, your freedom to be a doctor can be harmed by you not having qualifications, or the natural intelligence to gain those qualifications (not using you, but just public in general as example). Therefore because people were born with low intelligence, it is not their fault but the hand they were dealt. So how about we let them be doctors? How far can this fairness and freedom be taken?

I expand to physical and mental harm. Knowing you will not be head of state is hardly mental harm if you try to say it!
Reply 399
Your freedom is not being harmed. You're taking the logic of freedom to absurd lengths. Is your freedom being restricted because we can't elect judges? Would you want to?

However, are you able to elect your government? Is the law respected by those in power? Is the law enforced fairly and openly? Do you have means by which to openly express your dissatisfaction with the country's situation?

If yes to all of these, then you are free.

However, are you able to elect your government? only one house of it

Is the law respected by those in power? they make the laws so if most of them did not respect it they could just change it

Is the law enforced fairly and openly? no. Bankers screwed over lots of people and went unpunished whereas delinquents posting riot Facebook messages were given 4 years in prison.

Latest

Trending

Trending